Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero filler cap and BP Ultimate

Colin S

I am amazed that this thread has been going for almost a year now. I had the problem with my new 2008 CSR and the CC Salesman's advice was to prise the flap out with a screwdriver 😳 A very large lady at one local small filling station succeeded in inserting the nozzle with brute force and said "well that's got it in, I just hope it comes out and we don't have to cut the hose!" 😳 I eventually made up a flexible tube that would go past the flap at one end and take a pump nozzle at the other end, this worked but it was a bit embarrassing on forecourts 😔

As stated earlier, the cheap solution is to remove the flap which I understand is only fitted so that the cars will pass the SVA test. The other alternative is the one I eventually chose which was to return the car to CC and have a modified neck and aero cap fitted to the car. The revised cap is £72.00 + vat and the neck £40.00 + vat and fitting is around 1.5hr’s @ £58.00 per hr + vat. A lot of money but it was worth it because I can now look *smokin* again at the filling station instead of *redface* and that very large lady will no longer abuse my neck with her nozzle

Blue7

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else

Blue's pics

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know if the revised cap and filler is now fitted as standard and is it SVA compliant? Do you know it feature on the Caterham WEB Shop?

I would assume CC are now fitting the revised filler neck and cap as standard and SVA compliant otherwise there will be a lot of very angry customers. What has complicated the issue has been filling stations switching to higher pressure pumps to speed up filling and also what they refer to as eco friendly nozzles that allow less petrol vapour to escape during the filling operation.

The stock codes for the revised parts fitted to my car were:

30T033A Fuel filler neck aero cap only modified

30T032A Aero filler cap black finish 2008

The CC on-line store search engine finds the stock code for the aero filler caphere but not the filler neck.

Blue7

Blue's pics

Had my first experience of this at the weekend, newly opened BP garage - £ 3 worth of fuel over the back of the car and the forecourt and at one point I thought the nozzle was stuck in the back of the car !! A bit embarrassing ! I thought it was a one off until I found this topic. Some great advice and modifications will be carried out as soon as.

The revised cap is £72.00 + vat and the neck £40.00 + vat and fitting is around 1.5hr’s @ £58.00 per hr + vat. A lot of money

classic 😔 *mad*

caterham have a crap part on the car and owners pay handsomly to get it rectified .......

Ansar > why cant the flap be positioned lower in the neck ?. This has been going on for ages and is a real visible impression of the cars for the rest of the buying public.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

This is a very useful thread. I wondered why I had problems at my local station the other week - in hindsight I realise they had swaped to the new filler nozle with a collar.

So, as advised above I removed the inner cone and integral SVA flap yesterday, making sure the bigger groove is at the 12'oclock position (it was already). A combination of grinding and banging and it was all over in a matter of minutes

Hopefully it will mean I can fill up without difficulty in future at a greater % of stations. If I get a chance I will post a picture of the piece removed as I was not too sure what I was going to encounter before I started and it may help others.

CSR Superlight 260 Mclaren Orange

Power by COSWORTH *cool* Pictures here

Can't say i've to many difficulties filling up so i've been intrigued to see what all the fuss is all about.

Just been out to the car and removed my Aero cap. I see no signs of a flap or evidance a flap was in mine in the first place. Even got a little dentist mirror to peer further around the corner. Nothing.

Guess because i've had no troubles i ain't got one ? Are they obvious when they are installed ?

Gordon.

Just had the filler modified by CC on my Sigma, they seem to have widened the neck slightly but still left the flap in place. I don't see how this is going to help if the nozzle can't open this flap. Should I bite the bullet and cut it out? *confused*

Peter

ust had the filler modified by CC on my Sigma, they seem to have widened the neck slightly but still left the flap in place. I don't see how this is going to help if the nozzle can't open this flap. Should I bite the bullet and cut it out?

No ... I had the CC modification which still has a flap and it works perfectly ... you are good to go *cool*

Blue7

Blue's pics

I took the whole flap assembly out last night. I was a bit of a pain and it did make a small hole where one of the welds really took a grip. I welded the hole up and re powder coated it and its now perfect. It was a 3 hour job and not the five minute job I was expecting so nothing new there.. I filled up today and it was a dream and no more smelly funnels in my boot now!

Jason

It clunks, it rattles, the wife hates it, but I love my BEC.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting as this came up on another thread.

Linds at 7Speed, and I'm sure he won't mind me saying, has a lovely motorsport solution to the awful filler cap and neck - basically a larger filler cap than standard, with a funnel behind and a silicon hose into the fuel tank. Looks very neat, and now you can get silicon hose that is fuel resistant, quite a nice idea. I reckon it's lighter than the standard parts too, if that will sell it to you *wink*

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

Ive just been sorting my filler out as I cannot get any nozzle in at the moment due to all the pumps being changed over to the newer type nozzles.

While playing I thought I would test the flap to see how efficient it was at stopping fuel flowing out if the car was on its back. I put the tank end under a tap and guess what the water came out as if the flap did not exist which makes the thing a waste of time IMO. Looking closely it is held in place by the three spot welds but has a gap round the remaining edges so the fuel will still flow out *thumbdown*

Mal Stubbs

Had the problem within 10 miles of CCmidlands after i'd picked up my new sv150 on the 31st october 2007. Stopped to gas up and hey presto, pump nozzle would fit, managed to spill 15p worth in, a frantic call to Nick at CC MIDLANDS resulted in an "Oh yes, there are some strange size pump nozzles"... my ar**e....poorly thought out design and implementation more like! Anyway further conversation with James Gibson resulted in the final solution...rive out the check valve flap with great difficulty as some previous posts state, then all was ok

Take the filler neck off the car, grind off the three spots welds holding the SVA flap in place, reassemble and from then on any pump will fit.

Do a search on here; one of the links has pictures of the whole operation (was it Myles?).

Rob