Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero filler cap and BP Ultimate

Colin S

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from the " ring " and got thoroughly pi%%ed off with this problem at every petrol station.Driving 900 miles in the rain with an aeroscreen is one thing , spending half an hour trying to fill up with petrol every two hours was a real downer .

Those of you who have removed the flap , do you suffer from petrol spilling via the breather at track days ?

Those of you who have removed the flap , do you suffer from petrol spilling via the breather at track days ?
That shouldn't happen as the flap is independent of the breather. I presume the flap is there to stop fuel leaking out if you turn the car over. The breather is there to allow the tank to breathe. The breather should have a 1 way valve in it to prevent fuel leaking & if you don't have full emission thingies with a charcoal canister then plumb the breather like this here

• Area Representative

Colin,

I had the same problem the first time I tried to filled up my Sigma Roadsport at a BP garage. After 15 minutes I'd managed to get more fuel onto the forecourt than into the car. I eventually gave up and went to a nearby Shell garage. No problem with Shell, I had the tank full in next to no time.

Cheers,

Russ

*wavey* *wavey* *wavey* *wavey*

Russ,

I agree with you and have found a local garage where I have no problem, however I am off to France in a couple of weeks and it seems that the French pumps pose more of a problem as Mark W found out. I was told that the nozzles that don't fit are the new European standard and that all the UK garages will be fitted with them as and when they are refurbished. I don't know how true that is perhaps there is someone out there who is more in the know than I am.

Colin

• 1 month later...

Just picked up an 06 CSR

I can't believe that Caterham still supply these silly aero caps

Again, as I did with the SL, I had to remove the flap and grind the top so I can get all fuel filler nozels in

Come on CC, get a different Aero Cap.

Interestingly the R5 had a great one that was round, utilising a special round key. It was supplied by CC I think as it was a factory car

Some pics here from when I did the SL to show you what to do. Its the drinding bit that eliviated the problem and allows all tytpes of pumps to be used

-----My site-----

Edited by - Petrolhead on 3 May 2008 18:03:44

• 4 weeks later...

Me too. I was taking my R400 (with aero filler) off to SVA last Wednesday, and called in at my usual Shell station in Okehampton. A mild panic ensued when I couldn't get the new-style nozzle in (now I know what they were doing when they closed the place for a refurb a few weeks ago). Luckily, I had a big screwdriver with me so was able to open the offending flap. The same thing happened in Avonmouth (Esso that time). In the short term, I intend to carry a big funnel plus a length of hose, especially as I'm off to France in a couple of weeks. Maybe later I'll remove the flap.

JV

Update...

After taking forever trying to fill up today using a funnel, I've now removed the whole pesky inner neck and flap. Very straightforward: remove boot floor (for easy access), remove aero cap assembly, remove filler tube, then set about the three spot welds holding the inner neck. A spherical grinding stone was the weapon of choice -- no prisoners! Then reassemble.

Note: best to do this after the SVA test.

JV

Thought it was me not knowing how to get it in!!!

Just returned from the Pyrenees last saturday. Spain no problem, hit France and could not get any petrol in. If I went off main roads to older filling stations no problem.

Got back to England where I have never ever had a problem and someone had changed the pumps whilst I have been away!! Took three stations to get some fuel in.

I bought a filler doofer from Halfords a couple of years ago with a flexible end for refilling at track days from a jerry can. The nozzle unscrews from the main bit and fits down the filler neck fine. Will carry this with me and try just putting the fuel nozzle into the extended filler neck and see how I get on.

Will report back when I have tried it. *smile*

putting the fuel nozzle into the extended filler neck
I tried exactly that yesterday with Mr Shell's latest nozzle and my jerrycan extension. No matter how carefully I aligned the two, I just couldn't stop the auto cut-off from kicking in, so had to resort to the funnel. I suppose if your extension tube was wide enough to slide over the nozzle, that might well work OK?

JV

Just take the flap out guys. I've had no problem with mine since I did that and it only takes about 1/2 hr to do the job.

One word of advice though, don't push the pump nozzle to far into the filler neck as I did last week and got the nozzle well and truly stuck. I was there about 15mins trying to get it out. In the end the nozzle gave in and twisted in the holder....it's still like it today I wonder if they know who bent it???

Colin

Got to my local station yesterday.Nozzles had changed,out with my extension.....no good. out with my BBQ skewer to prop the flap open and got £2.00 worh in in 5 minutes.

Today stripped it down and removed offending flap. also noticed that Caterham had fitted the outer unit at 6'o clock so swapped to 12 'o'clock. Now I can fill up anywhere......maybe!!

Thanks for all the info on the site.

• 6 months later...

I had the same problem, 20 miles from Caterham Midlands!...with 20 miles on the clock of my new SV150 Roadsport. Some fuel pump nozzles fit, others don't! which is great if you are on your last gasp of the stuff and you need to drive around to find one that fits. Caterham solution is to remove the check valve (flapper to the non engineer types) Basically get a hold of the flapper (after removing the filler from the body/rubber hose) with pliers and rive it out together with any bits / debris that comes away with it.

c7 bmu

• 1 month later...

After a very frustrating Le Sept last year, and some equally problematic garages in good old blighty I took advice from previous posts on BC and removed the complete neck assembly, bought myself a Dremel kit and ground the bloody flap welds off, got the complete flap out - very carefully cleaned out the neck for any swarf *smile* *smile*........hey presto no more problems.

A bit more than the 1/2 hour quoted above, maybe 1.5 hours. Best time I have ever spent!

Dremel has also proved very useful since.

Cheers

Peter

Crisis.......what mid-life crisis ?

Caterham Midlands took mine out at the first annual service - it is sooo easy to get fuel in now.

The only difference is that removing the flap means that there is often a tiny bit of fuel around the filler cap that blows out when you lift the release lever on the cap. This implies that the tank is under a bit of pressure - presumably heat soak from the engine via the propshaft tunnel?

Steve

Thinking of doing this on mine, had a quick look at lunchtime

The big cut-out is at 12 oclock so thats okay, do I need to remove the flap and the truncated cone ?? or can I just remove the flap. My though is that keeping the cone may stop me one day from filling it up with diesel *redface*

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here