Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternative to Avon ZZS?

PEC

Dear All,

I am quite sure this is not a new thread I am starting but wanted to know the latest about an alternative to Avon ZZS on 13" wheels for a 50/50 mix of road and track use. I am also looking for decent holding in the wet.

Can you be kind enough to mention the front and rear sizes of the tyres when citing alternatives (if there is any good alternative to the Avons ZZS...).

Thank you very much

• Leadership Team

Unless you're dead against the Avon ZZS, I suspect most people who've used them concur they're a really good tire for the 7, if not one of the best. Not cheap, but if you aren't being super cost conscious just get another set.

I looked for an alternative to the 185/55R13 ZZS last year but alternatives seem to be 185/60 which I suspected may not clear the cycle wings and wingstays on my 2013 Supersport - the top of the tyre is already quite close to the cycle wings on 185/55.

• 1 year later...

I just got a set of wheels last week with 888R 185/60 on the front and 205/60 on the rear. Car sits about 1.2 cm higher off the ground, sounds small - but it is visible.

front wheels bit tight to get in under the front wing stays but once on clearance is fine.

im running a back to back test at goodwood next friday between the 888R and avon ZZS (185/55 and 215/55) so happy to feedback after that.

Although the 205/60-13 R888R tyres are certified by Toyo for 5.5 to 7.5" wide wheels the extra 0.5" width with the fairly high 60 profile shouldn't cause any usage issues and may actually be beneficial for track usage. With low profile tyres (45 and below) it would be more problematic with the shorter sidewall to stretch the extra 0.5".

Hi Steve, another tyre that is more track biased than the R888R that works well for me is the Nankang AR-1.

I'm now on my second set (3rd set waiting at the tyre fitters) and like them a lot more than the original CR500s. I use 185/60-13 front (552mm diameter on 6" wide wheel) and 235/45-13 rear (542mm diameter on 8" wide wheel). I believe from a performance perspective they are more in line with the Avon ZZR than ZZS.

Sorry to jump in on this but I'm having a problem replacing my 195/50/15 ZZR. 
So the question is has anyone with a fairly new car 2018 plus changed to anything else. I can get 888r but not sure if they will clear the front wing stays or rub , I believe they are a little wider. 
Thanks in advance, Pete

I am the same as a few here - its not how wide the tyre is, but the height - I cannot get 60 profile under my front wing stays - tried 888s. but only available in 60s

So I am on the ZZS and love them, but worried when it comes to change and finding the right profile 

I've just changed my very old CR500's to R888R's. They fit really well and look great in the arches. I did adjust the front stays very slightly but is easy to do. Really pleased with the grip and ride feel. Am happy that my car sits a bit higher at the front now as it was too low anyway. Will adjust the back down a bit to get the rake back to where it should be. Very happy with them *smile*