Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED headlight recommendations

Steve Willis

50 minutes ago, Suttons said:

Does any one who has installed the cafe racer LED headlights have any recommendations how to fit the retaining clips to the light surround

When I tested fitted my chinese versions of the same lights you had to widen the clips slightly to allow for the extra depth of the unit. 

Yes I’ve have done that, and have the light surround fitted with the springs. But it won’t fit onto the headlight body as the lip gets stuck on the retaining clips as they now at a different angle because of the thickness of the cafe racer light.

I did play around with the position of the clips to make sure it's not near 12'o clock or interfering with the retaining screws. It does need a firm push to click into place but I've had them in and out a few times as I switched between the halo and cafe racer ones and it's not been an issue

I found engaging the rim onto the headlight bowl at 12 o'clock and then "swinging" the bottom in worked best

Edited by ducatidentist

I installed these at the weekend. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304860958864?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nbUfGDNkSn2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=m7NV-5oRR3q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

very easy to fit. Did both in about 30 minutes. I previously had the Cafe Racers on a previous car and these seem identical at a fraction of the price. 
IMG_4228.thumb.jpeg.49cc4809e19bb99a311da091a195bdc3.jpeg

• Like 2

£23 each is insane! JAL and Sevens and Classics charge £380 for their top of the range ones*. £120-£180 for their cheaper ones. What's the catch?

* We'll ignore Caterham's prices (nearly twice the JAL price for the exact same unit).

1 hour ago, GulfSeven said:

£23 each is insane! JAL and Sevens and Classics charge £380 for their top of the range ones*. £120-£180 for their cheaper ones. What's the catch?

* We'll ignore Caterham's prices (nearly twice the JAL price for the exact same unit).

Perhaps it’s not the £23 that’s ‘insane’?

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 16:58, Suttons said:

Does any one who has installed the cafe racer LED headlights have any recommendations how to fit the retaining clips to the light surround

With safety specs on and in a place that you will find them when they fly off .

Not outside.....ask me how I know😳

On 27/04/2024 at 17:56, Suttons said:

Yes I’ve have done that, and have the light surround fitted with the springs. But it won’t fit onto the headlight body as the lip gets stuck on the retaining clips as they now at a different angle because of the thickness of the cafe racer light.

If you are still having a problem post a picture of how the clips are fitted. 

I've seen comments about the light output on some being very poor. I'd hope with the more expensive lights you're getting a better product and not a cheap copy that doesn't work.

I've also seen reference to the light output being too high - something like above 2500 lumens you need self levelling and a number of lights claim 3,4 or 5k lumens.

(i'm still with candles and thinking about the upgrade along with the lowered headlights)