Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED headlight recommendations

Steve Willis

I use these:

LED lights

I find the HALO DRL more visibale than the letter box versions CC use, with the advantage you can loose the OE indicators as these are built into the HALO making them much more visible since they are also higher, even went using the lowered headlight brackets   win win *wavey*

There was seller on ebay selling the same lights in black bowls but I can seem to find tham at the moment, my bowls were from SVC.

I must admit I am undecided when it comes to upgrading the headlights to LED. I only want legal, so that rules out fitting LED bulbs into the existing lights. My main concern with changing the units for LED is if one failed a long way away from home on a multi-day trip I can’t do a simple bulb swap. I know that LEDs last much longer but I have had both LED sidelights fail (Classic Car LEDs) and a rear light LED when I had those. Maybe it’s the vibration or damp or something? 

StevehS3, I have various led sidelights in my van and previous daily cars and they haven’t lasted long at all. But the Philips H4 LED headlights in my Transit have been in for 2years and are brilliant.

I’ve just bought some of the “expensive” led sidelights from Classic Cars LEDs to give them a go. I only drive my 7 during the day in the summer months but I intend to run with them on all the time actings as DRLs so wanted something brighter than the Osram Cool Blue ones in there now.

But the aim is to upgrade to the LED headlight units at some point, mainly to give the car a more modern front end. 

Edited by PlastererPete

On 09/12/2023 at 23:54, 7 wonders of the world said:

I find the HALO DRL more visibale than the letter box versions CC use, with the advantage you can loose the OE indicators as these are built into the HALO making them much more visible since they are also higher, even went using the lowered headlight brackets   win win *wavey*

Like this you mean…IMG_9674.thumb.jpeg.65303ddeceae7c65ef3cddc57f725856.jpeg

On 10/12/2023 at 11:40, PlastererPete said:

StevehS3, I have various led sidelights in my van and previous daily cars and they haven’t lasted long at all. But the Philips H4 LED headlights in my Transit have been in for 2years and are brilliant.

I’ve just bought some of the “expensive” led sidelights from Classic Cars LEDs to give them a go. I only drive my 7 during the day in the summer months but I intend to run with them on all the time actings as DRLs so wanted something brighter than the Osram Cool Blue ones in there now.

But the aim is to upgrade to the LED headlight units at some point, mainly to give the car a more modern front end. 

Pete did you install the eBay ones in the end? I've now got all the bits including the sidelight extensions but haven't got round to it yet.

Edited by ducatidentist

@ducatidentist, I did install one of them but I wasn’t happy with the look. It just didn't suit the car imo. I’m really fussy and the sidelight “bar” was just too thick for me.

The installation itself was straight forward, just needed to flatten out the retaining clips a little by hand as the light unit is thicker than the original glass one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. So I sourced some eBay specials to try out, two sets, one appears identical to the originalcaferacer ones and the others with the halo which again look identical to ones from kitcardirect. Just comparing DRL options below, haven't looked at beams etc as would probably take them somewhere to get the alignment correct.

PXL_20231221_200327643.thumb.jpg.2e2fd2e24ceaa968243dffd90725e9c8.jpg

Original side lights

PXL_20231221_201251152.thumb.jpg.70c8961ca58fc225238ebf6838ac7b85.jpg

Original cafe racer style horizontal bar

PXL_20231221_200617172.thumb.jpg.6d4029de818e538636c144035915fa65.jpg

White Halo

PXL_20231221_200742110.thumb.jpg.85762fb367044c4dc8d227b2b7552101.jpg

Amber halo, can also be used as indicator as mentioned by others.

I really wanted a yellow DRL rather than white or amber so will keep searching but any of these make you more visible. I think I prefer the horizontal bar but wife and kids like the "surprised" look of the white Halo rather than the "sleepy" look of the horizontal bar.

I've fitted spade connectors to them all so can swap around easily when the mood takes me.

Thanks @PlastererPete for the tips!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Has anyone got any instructions how to wire the cafe racer headlights in to get the DRL working. Do I cut the red and black cables from the existing bulb then just crimp to the white and yellow cables from the new headlight unit?

Photos would be of great help.

1 hour ago, Suttons said:

Has anyone got any instructions how to wire the cafe racer headlights in to get the DRL working. Do I cut the red and black cables from the existing bulb then just crimp to the white and yellow cables from the new headlight unit?

Photos would be of great help.

I didn't want to cut any wires in case I decide to return to the original lights so I bought these as recommended by @PlastererPete

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364020925423?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gnvCGhCvRzm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Pv4erk9fRzy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They insert into the existing sidelight holder. Then I cut the wires on this extension to fit spade connectors and fitted matching spade connectors to the led headlight to connect up.

Edited by ducatidentist
  • Like 2

• Area Representative
17 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Usual request: please could upgraders take some photos down the road to show the illumination before and after. Probably easiest done by changing one side and then taking photos with one side masked at a time

Like this?

Using https://www.originalcaferacer.com/product/7-inch-led-headlight-x1-drl-white-indicator-amber-84w-4700-lm/

Before.jpg

during.jpg

after.jpg

• Area Representative
1 hour ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Thanks for those. That's a lot better than looking towards the Seven! But I'd really like comparisons of old and new down the road... because that's what they're for.

Indeed they are...sadly I don't have photos to show that. I'd just say 'a lot better' covers it...