Click here if you are having website access problems ×

It's the little things...

gundersen

During my short (two years) caterham ownership, I have made quite a number of changes and upgrades to my car. Including, but not limited to: new engine, gearbox, diff, wheels, dials, aeroscreen, exhaust, seats, ecu

All these modifications vary greatly in price and complexity, but I have found that there is no directly link between the price of a modification and the gain. Two of the best modifications I have made, have been relatively inexpensive.

The first modification I did that REALLY changed the car, was removing the 16" wheels and replacing them with 13" CR500's. That simply transformed the handling of the car, before it felt like a heavy tin top, and after it felt like top fuel gokart.

The second modification I did, was to move the seat forward by 7.5cm...not much, but enough that I could get a proper driving position. Again, the feel of the car was transformed 🥰

So, just my two pence of wisdom. So what is your best modification/upgrade 🤔

Best upgrade.....replacing the ZV3 tyres with AO21's.

Cheapest upgrade, eventually locating & taping over the end of the indicator buzzer as the BEEP BEEP really was just too loud.

If I have ear plugs in I only very occasionally forget to switch them off. 😳

What an excellent topic. As an inveterate fiddler, one of the most useful small additions I have made was the addition of a full width parcel shelf, using plastic facia board, and carpeted. On my current swoopy dash CSR, I have had to confine it to passenger side only, but it is just so useful.

In the days when handbrakes were tucked up over the passengers toes, I fitted a Spridget handbrake vertically on the n/s alongside the gear lever. In those days I was autotesting and needed a handbrake for quick turns, but it was also useful for normal parking on the road.

I have also added padding under the seat cover, so the middle of my back is now supported. It was costing me a fortune in physio fees everytime I did a journey of more than an hour, also packing the front of the seat up, so I have more recline of the backrest, ensures far more comfort for me.

Lots of good suggestions here *thumbup* I am surprised that none have mentioned lowered floors...

@BSA: The gearbox is nice (and works flawlessly btw, thanks), and while it is better on track than the old five speed, it didn't transform the car in the same way that for example switching from 16" to 13" wheels did.

Tillett seats fitted 60mm lower 50mm back and steering wheel 30mm forward,

small key/remote tray under front of drivers seat.

better front discs and softer pads, self cancelling indicator switch,

Swapping all the bonded suspension bushes for needle bearings and vesconite bushes on the A arms.

Fitting Nitron shocks and revalve to suit.

and more power 😬 😬

some of the mods where not cheap but they made it great.

I'm afraid I have to say that my best upgrade was also the most expensive. Here's the list of mods I performed on my 2001 Roadsport:

Ditched Cr322 tyres for AO21Rs

4-2-1 exhaust manifold

Q/R steering wheel

Emerald ECU + wideband lambda probe and self-mapping

Heater (yes)

Swappable aeroscreen

Mech OPG

Yamaha R1 engine install (limited slip diff, huge weight loss, power up to around 180hp, 6 speed sequential gearbox and 14,000 rpm redline)

Unsurprisingly, the last of these was both the most expensive and changed the car from a 'quick' toy to an utterly insane monster!

switching to freestyle suspension

Big Brakes

Sticky Tyres

Wide-track

What it needs

Better Driver or at least training *tongue*

LSD

fit the bl 🙆🏻 *confused*dy vernier pulleys I've had for 3 years

But for smaller things , half hood just brilliant but best of all , Elie of this parish getting a motalita steering wheel retrimed in suede for me , it just makes the steering feel better, silly I know but just does 😬

Edited by - nickh7 on 4 Oct 2013 12:46:57

Not just modifications, more general enhancements to the driving experience, some better than others:

Peashooter silencer (?), now at least if I cant be seen, I can be bloody well heard!

Earplugs

Toyo R888’s – great when dry, try not to take it out in the wet

Mechanical OPG

Cooling mod on the K series with the T peace – no more air locks, should have done this sooner.

Rear view mirrors – Various, this is continual work in progress….

Half hood – just purchased and waiting delivery but its got to better than fighting with a full hood when it rains

Ace change up lights – Fun, easy to fit but pointless if you have ears

12v Lighter socket for accessories but mainly for charging - simples

Original Caterham jacket from 1999, faded and getting a little threadbare but still the most comfortable and warm compared to everything else I’ve tried – why did they stop making this version 😔

My own servicing – Only just started doing this but surprisingly satisfying on a warm day and at least I know nothing has been missed

Rear wheel intrusion bar. Will fit a side impact bar eventually – every little counts!

How do you keep this short???? 1600 K road use only now.

Suspension :15 to 13 inch wheels plus Nitrons with progressive rears and 225 with 150 lb/in tenders on front plus r888 tyres, prefer them to 021's.

Engine: Daves large port head plus all the usual goodies I did myself and van Kroenenburg ECU and RR set up to 180 ish BHP with very good torque from 4-2-1 exhaust.

Full set of adjustable SPA analogue gauges. Also SPA convex mirrors.

47 litre tank, so can go 260 miles, and stupid flap removed so can actually fill it quickly!

De-selecting 'Cut fuel on overrun' on the Emerald software. Childish, but the car sounds lovely, with lots of gentle popping when changing down gear. Together with the TB conversion, makes the car have a bit more old-skool character.

Snail shaped air horns - same footprint as the original horns but so much louder for only £6 from eBay.

Moving the indicator repeaters from the cycle wings (where the wires and fittings were already life-expired) into the headlamp bowls.

I can now see, from the cockpit, that I've left the indicators on...*

*And more importantly, turn them off!