Differential oil and lesson learnt.

The Pikey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Thought it was worth resurrecting this old thread - it's an oldie but a goodie!

I've got a ZF LSD in my 2003 roadsport that's a bit of a whiner with some transmission shunt thrown in. The previous owner had the diff removed and re-setup, but apparently there was not much improvement. After a fair bit of browsing, I concluded that there was probably nothing wrong with the diff and the noise levels were normal for my particular spec. I'd have to put up with it, or buy an altrenative / less noisy diff. So I'd s-o-r-t of got used to it.

Then I found this post about the Ford (and possibly other) 90 grade oils making a big difference to noise, at leadst for a while.

I've just ordered: a couple of litres of the Ford SAE90 (non-LSD) + a sachet of the LubeGard friction modifider + a cheap fluid extractor pump from Halfords.

Just wondering how Jason and everyone else who had a go with new diff oil got on now that a couple of years has passed. Did your diffs stay quiet? Did you need to keep changing oil? Has anyone got any new experiences with diff oil fixing whines and clunks? Are there any synthetic oils that last longer?

I'll report back when I've engorged my diff with the new fluids 😳 ................

For the record ...

So I got some of the recommended Ford SAE90 (non LSD) and a sachet of Lubegard friction modifier. Bit of a messy job - even with a syphon pump I managed get as much oil on me as went in the diff.

And the the effect was on my 7 was ..... no difference.

The oil that came out looked in good condition, so it wasn't the 10yr old 'black pond water' I feared.

Oh well, at least I know what is in the diff now ...

• 9 months later...

My reading of all this is that the Ford diff runs best on the oil it was designed for: EP90/GL5 mineral oil.

I use Fuchs Titan Race Gear 90 LS High Performance Gear And Limited Slip Diff oil as I have an lsd fitted.

Works well, but I do get some whine when off power between 50-60mph. At any other speed and when accelerating hard my diff is very quite and I suspect a resonance problem with my metric S3 chassis is actually the reason this is noticeable as I had exactly the same symptoms with a brand new Caterham diff and a R&R rebuilt original Ford diff.

Duncan

• Area Representative

Some people really do have (perceived) problems.

Put Halfords 80w-90 Diff Oil + LSD additive in my Sierra Diff on build & ran it for ELEVEN YEARS with no  panic inducing noises before selling the car.

And it is STILL running OK.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Had a quick read through this - have just had my LSD fitted by R&R and they now recommend a diff oil they say they have developed!

Has anyone tried it (will have to check what they call it but bottle in the garage)? I have put it in but was just before lockdown so not had it out yet (as car been in bits longer than it should have been!)