Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Differential oil and lesson learnt.

The Pikey

Quoting charlie_pank: 
Probably worth someone who knows more than me about it to add a clarifying note at this point about the difference between the ATB LSD and friction LSDs, what their methods of action are, thus why they have different lubrication requirements and what those requirements are...

eg for Quaife ATB: 'Maintenance free design and retains standard axle lubrication' from the Quaife website here

Edited by - charlie_pank on 2 May 2012 21:54:03

The following maybe complete carp but it my understanding of it:

Plated diffs like the ZF and Titan have a stack of plates that need to slip (look at it like a wet clutch on a motorbike) to allow the diff to work like a diff. Friction modifier is added to make this slip and also locking up a progressive thing rather than immediate. As the ATB has no friction plates, only cogs so does not need any friction modifier.

jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 3 May 2012 23:06:08

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting Jason Fletcher: 
Quoting RJ: 
Jason,

By the looks of it you're right

"the manual says GL5"

Regin

Phil told me that he has seen Sierra diffs ruined after one track day using GL4 hence his urgent phone call to get you informed! He's a good man!!

Jason

In deed he is a good man. (So are you for forwarding the warning *tongue* )

And for those running a Quaife ATB and as recommended by Quaife the following....

For QUAIFE ATB Differentials:

When running a QUAIFE ATB Differential in a standard transaxle gearbox, we recommend that you use whatever your vehicle's manufacturer recommends. The QUAIFE ATB Differential does not require any special lubricants.

When running QUAIFE gearbox internals and a QUAIFE ATB differential – we recommend FuchsTitan SYN5 75W90.

For a QUAIFE ATB differential, running in a rear axle – use a hypoid 90 or 75W90, as above.

For those applications that will accept a GL5 or SAE75W90 gear oil, we recommend and sell Silkolene SYN5 75W90 gear oil. We use Silkolene in all our own QUAIFE racing transmissions.

I have been running the Silkoline SYN5 in mine for the last two years....quiet as a church mouse *thumbup*

Had a wining Titan LSD Ford diff after 15.000 km with Castrol 85 90 GL5 Diff oil and Lube Gard.

Changed on Friday to the Ford Diff oil with LubeGard.

Made 600 km this weekend.

Huge difference, no more wining, I am happy

Thank you Jason for your efforts *thumbup*.

Hanns Per

Well just an update from me ( live axle with quaiffe Atb)

Did the oil change to ford 90. MASSIVE improvement!!!!

Quiet almost to the point i cant here a tiny faint tiny little whine!

Thank you thank you thank you Jason!!!! *wavey*

Believe me this works. Its changed my car. I hope your going to dunsfold handling day jason cos im buying you a burger!!!

Well I'm really glad other people are managing to replicate my results *thumbup*

unfortunately I won't be at Dunsfold so I'll have to pass on the burger (although I think it's really Phil at Road & Race who has earned it) *wink*

I am now going to stock pile a few litres of the 90 grade stuff.

Jason

Phil, if your reading this i"ll bring a Mcdonalds with me when i collect the other diff 😬

Jason: proof is always in the pud, for £20 for 2 ltrs its the best cheapest mod/ test anyone can do.

If it quietens there diff all well & good 😬

• Area Representative

Hi, can anyone post the part number or specification of this diff oil? Speaking to our local Fords parts centres for Ford 90 has met with some blank looks!

Tia

Nick