Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Differential oil and lesson learnt.

The Pikey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was passing Frosts in Rochdale, so I picked up a couple of bottles of Millers EP90 diff oil.

I had a pig of a job getting any oil out of my diff, and could only get back in about 700 ml - a great deal more than I got out. Also found that I had no breather pipe (just a bare nipple 😳) so fabricated a pipe from a bit of old air line.

Just a short run to a local breakfast club and back this morning, but what a difference! What was a a gnarly snarl on overrun is now a quiet rumble.

Really pleased, so thanks to Jason for posting about this.

Will try again to properly drain diff after next weekend's Dunsfold Day.

Jason,

I have a tenner's worth of hand held oil suction pump - clearly I am taking a knife to a gun fight in comparison to you *tongue*

Doing it post-blat sounds a good idea - and one I hadn't considered. Is there any value in jacking the front of the car up to get the fluid to pool at the back of the diff?

John

I'm sure that tenners worth of pump will be much better with the oil warm *cool* Doubt tipping the car back will make much difference and as long as you get your tube the bottom of the diff you should see the 1.2L or so come out.

Jason

A very interesting thread. When I fitted my Titan LSD, I filled it with Silkolene BOA 90 LS High Performance Gear And Limited Slip Differential Oil

Diff was nice and quiet, but it was some time ago and I should really consider changing the oil, particularly as I 'exploit' the Titan quite frequently, shall we say at track and drift days.

Would be interested in the Ford oil also, but I have not done a back-back test with any other oil. Not sure whether to re-fill with Silkolene or try the Ford stuff. What's the lifespan of the Ford oil? 160 miles plus a rolling road does not seem a lot ...

I changed to the Ford 90W oil on my standard diff, and there where not much of a change. Diff was not particularly noisy before (or after), but does have a very noticeable whine between 40 and 50 mph which the oil change didn't fix.

On a different note, the old oil coming out of the diff smelled really bad, so just as a warning to others changing the oil be careful not to spill any. My garage now smells like an oil refinery gone bad *cry*

Quoting Neil_K: 
Just noticed that the Motul 90 PA version is GL4 and GL5 rated, whereas the Silkolene BOA 90 LS is GL5 and GL6 suitable.

What does that mean in real terms and would it be noticible given your findings, Jason, using the Motul 90 PA?

Neil

never tried it, only the 80w140 which was not good. From what I have seen the Ford 90 single grade oil is noticeably the best of the few I have tried.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 16 May 2012 22:07:36

Interesting you mention this. Also I have the feeling after some 600 miles that the noise you mentioned is comming back. Only very slight and at a pace slow enough one wouldn't notice unless one pay's attention. Wonder what noise is after 5000 miles. Meaning how stable is this oil, any oil

HP

Edited by - Hanns Per on 17 May 2012 18:58:58

Mmmm so it seems that others are seeing exactly what I did and thats the noises coming back after a while.. I am now wondering if there is a synthetic 90 grade gear oil that would work as well as the Ford 90 grade does initially but would last longer??

Jason

My experience with Ford 90 LS oil was not a good one in that my ZF diff lost drive in left hand corners on track, it was quiet though. I have tried various oils together with friction modifiers and my prefered choice is Castrol Hypoy 90 Limited Slip oil. The ZF diff works well with this oil in.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 18 May 2012 21:23:49

I am now wondering if there is a synthetic 90 grade gear oil that would work as well as the Ford 90 grade does initially but would last longer??

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/images/VARIANT/large/1082.jpg

Been using this oil myself for a couple of years with no problems at all. Ital axle with Quaife ATB internals 😬

For QUAIFE ATB Differentials:

When running a QUAIFE ATB Differential in a standard transaxle gearbox, we recommend that you use whatever your vehicle's manufacturer recommends. The QUAIFE ATB Differential does not require any special lubricants.

When running QUAIFE gearbox internals and a QUAIFE ATB differential – we recommend FuchsTitan SYN5 75W90.

For a QUAIFE ATB differential, running in a rear axle – use a hypoid 90 or 75W90, as above.

For those applications that will accept a GL5 or SAE75W90 gear oil, we recommend and sell Silkolene SYN5 75W90 gear oil. We use Silkolene in all our own QUAIFE racing transmissions.

as rob says , I had exactly the same experience with ford 90 ls oil . in fact we were at lemans together and we both had the same experience. we both changed back to the castrol hypol and the action of the diff was back working again.

BEWARE !! this is fact !! *biggrin*