Click here if you are having website access problems ×

14 inch wheels - limited choice for replacement tyres

gin-fizz-whizz

Hi,

Car is used for general road and touring mileage. No track use.

Standard 14" wheels running 185/60 R14 H all round. Currently on Avon ZV3s. No surprises that there's loads of tread left although compound dated and may well benefit from replacement this year.

Caterham did use the Avon ZT5 and now have the ZT7 (EU label Fuel C, Wet B Noise 69db) as their standard tyre. Is this because it's best suited to our cars or more of a brand tie-in for their higher spec offerings such as the ZZR and ZZS?

Seem to be some good reports of owners having Uniroyal Road Expert (EU label Fuel E, Wet B Noise 70db).

Based on those EU labels alone the ZT7 would appear to be pretty good . . . . or does the poor fuel rating of the Uniroyal mean it's more grippy? It's all a bit subjective at this level but any thoughts or alternatives?

I really like my 14" Toyo R888R tyres for general and fast road use. I'm not a trackday driver. They do need a bit more respect in the wet, and I would caution against using them in very cold weather, but overall they work very well with my Caterham Roadsport 140. I have driven rental Caterhams on the Uniroyal tyres – hired from Boyd Stokes in Scotland. They were very a good choice and suited the variances in Scottish weather well. It is a shame that Avon did not extend the development of the ZZS to 14" wheels. 

The uniroyals are a bit squeally in the dry. Great in the wet. I've got Dunlop Sport Bluresponse on mine at the moment and they seem to work ok as a road tyre with a bit of light track use too. It's a sod that Continental stopped doing their premium contact tyre in 14, that was great. Dunlops are close but not quite as good. When it's swap time (I've got 2 sets of wheels) the Uniroyals are going to get replaced with the Nankangs mentioned above and I'll keep the Dunlops on the second set.

I don't see the point in ZZR/ZZS for road use. They don't come with full tread depth and are very soft. Even for track days I'm not that bothered, I'm not trying to win.

I think you will find any track day type tyre has less tread deapth as standard.

My Nankang ns2r certainly have less tread deapth, all these type of tyres need care in standing water as the tread design and deapth make aquaplaning a possible issue.

Having used fir near 5 years and driven across Europe in some monsoon downpours it's ok just back off a little.

Remember our cars are so lightweight the tyres don't have much weight on them

Another thumbs up for the Uniroyals. I have the 185 60 14 on my 175bhp Zetec with no problems.

I ran Yoko 032, and then 048's until they stopped making them for the road. Being a straight road tyre, the profile is less square than the track types, but the car is only used for touring.

Col 

" I found AO21s `melted` on track after 3 quick laps but they are a wet tyre."

How much power do you have? We used to use them in 100 mile races (145bhp x/f) and they usually lasted several meetings plus regular road use. I've used nothing else on 7s for 25 years. 

My car runs on 14 inch wheels and like you say there is very limited choice for tyres. When I bought my car it had ZV3's fitted and they never seemed to wear out. They never gave me any confidence especially in the wet and after investigating what was available I changed to Nankang ns2r. I thought these would be good for me as I use the car on the road and do some track days. The difference in level of grip in both the wet and the dry is amazing. The Nankangs are so much better. The only downside I've found is that probably due to the harder walls of the tyre they're not so good on uneven B roads. When pressing on the car gets thrown around much more and you have to hang on. But that's easily solved as I just stick to bigger and smoother roads. Perhaps if you only use the car on the road then from other members comments the Uniroyals might be your best option but the Nankangs work well for me.

Thanks for these repies, I am a fair weather driver in the Caterham, not a tourer in all weathers, and a big reason I drive a Caterham is for grip that you don't get in ordinary cars. After my 14" AO21's expire I think Toyo R888R's are the answer. Albeit they will cost more than the Uniroyals and Nankangs, probably about twice the price, but they should last me a good few years. If I get caught out in the rain, which for my use of the car is bad planning, I'll take it very carefully.

I am going to be in the same position of wanting tyres for 14" wheels when my restoration is complete.  Seeing a lot of "votes" for Nankang NSR2 I checked them out.  The 185/60 14 are rated 86V XL so presumably intended for a car much heavier than a Seven

Edit: Has anyone tried Nankang AR-1?

• Area Representative

Looking to get some of the NS2R tyres myself.  On the Nankang website they indicate 23 to 27 psi Hot pressure setting for vehicle less than 800kg . 

Alastair, from what you're saying my tyre requirements sound to be extremely similar to yours.  I have run Toyo 888R's for a few years now and never had cause to complain.  The increased grip (dry) is very noticeable and inspire confidence. *thumbs_up_thumb*

• 5 weeks later...

Looking at my shortlist options now (Nankangs seem to be too track focused):

Avon ZT7 - Caterham standard 14" wheel fitment.  No feedback on here

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 - Quite a few recommendations.  Great in the wet.  Not so good in the dry and can squeal

Dunlop Sport Blue Response - A couple of recommendations.  Seems a good all-rounder

One not mentioned is the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance - some excellent reviews in the recent Auto Express/ADAC tests and comes out better than the 3 listed above. 

You have to recognise that tyres like Goodyear Efficient Grip and Dunlop Sport etc are built for cars that can be upto 2 times the weight of a Caterham, and consequently their sidewall construction are quite stiff to support cars of increased weight. This stiffness isn't conducive to providing a decent ride quality at all, which is why i suspect very few people stray too far from proven solutions.

I'd go with Toyo R888rs myself, I have them on 13s and they work well.