Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham LED Headlights - any experience?

NeilCSR

Has anyone had experience of the Caterham LED headlamp units and been able to compare with the normal candles?

These beam units should be much better than replacement LED bulbs as the pattern should be precise and focused in the right areas.   Having experienced properly engineered LED lights in two other cars which are a revelation, and before investing a small fortune in the Caterham units wanted to get some feedback first.

Neil

Someone posted on here a few days ago the manufacture of the headlights for Caterham.   They are much cheaper because you can get the lens only, and they don't have the "Caterham" logo on them,  but had a £200 saving per side.   I think they where HIGHSIDER JACKSON units.  

• Leadership Team

Yes Chris, I posted it. As far as I can tell it's the Highsider Jackson, the unit itself (no shell) is available from Germany for around £250 each, a search on ebay should find it. I haven't personally fitted these, I'm waiting for someone else to try it first!

Stu.

Thanks for the lead....

After a bit more research they are made by Paaschburg & Wunderlich, big German aftermarket bike parts supplier under the 'Highsider' brand.

I've contacted them to see if they supply in LHD pattern and I'll also find out whether they will fit a standard (chrome) rim/shell.  If so a big saving on CC.

I'd prefer to go with an integrated unit rather than replacement bulb for reasons of beam pattern.  Ran HID replacement bulbs on bikes for years, great light but it went everywhere and dazzled every other road user unless set down so far which meant that whilst there was great illumination immediately in front the distance was in the dark, even on main beam, so had to rely on pencil beam spots for proper out of town riding.  

I have the factory Caterham LED headlights on my car. I can't say they are that much better than the H4 type I had on my previous 7 so probably a waste of money in hindsight. If I was ordering the car again I don't think I would spend the extra money.

Jim,

Thanks, good advice.  I'll save that possible spend.  Checked out the units and they are only LHD if purchased anywhere else other than Caterham, so their units are an expensive option and if there isn't a significant difference then it doesn't make much sense.

Neil

I also have a set of LED replacement H4 units from www.classiccarleds.co.uk

The items arrived well packaged and with good instructions. They fit inside my 5 3/4 inch headlight bowls easily and the difference is awesome. A crisp light pattern and brighter tone. If set up properly and checked on an MOT headlight pattern device there is no danger of dazzling other road users.

Excellent value compared to expensive replacement units and they have a warranty so I’m confident that they will last. I didn’t want to take a risk on some Ebay or amazon bulbs from an unrecommended seller.

I feel a lot safer in the car with these lights as I’m positive people will see me earlier especially if I’m in their mirrors or overtaking.

I did take some comparison pictures if you would like to see them.

5B306AA6-0937-4AF8-ABAD-73E9FC6BE68D.jpeg.0dfa8c0c91a8b665a94b4d5dea72c292.jpeg

Hopefully this picture gives you an idea of the improvement the LED replacement bulbs have made to the output. The left hand headlamp has the LED H4 bulb fitted and the right hand headlamp has the standard H4 bulb. Pictures will be limited at the moment because the car won’t be out on the road until the Spring.

I hope this helps. For the price I think these bulbs from classic car leds are well worth it.

Not if you change the 7" reflectors to these Wipac items (for a mere £45) where the light is directed by the reflector, not the lens, ie as current headlamp optical technology.  Altogether with the LED H4 bulb from Classic Car LEDs you have a much more cost effective solution than the Caterham or Highsider options.  

Ezzer

Thanks for the photo, Frosty. It's almost as if a picture were worth a *thousand words.

It's very hard to know where to jump. The information is scattered across multiple threads, and there are few if any direct comparisons between alternatives. At the moment I think I'd go with Ezzer's combination.

Jonathan

* Or should that be ten thousand? ;-)

• Area Representative
Jonathan, don't worry about multiple threads, there is a diversity of experience, objectives, expectations and results. There is no single best answer.

I'm certainly going to do something to improve the lighting but am very aware that the simple physics/optics are against us. There is insufficient angle differential between road, beam and eyeline.

A high-seated position, combined with higher lamp position will always give a better rendition of the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many i'd got fed up of poor headlights, tried different types of H4 Halogens, and i'm too tight to pay the high Caterham LED Head light price.

However came across good reviews and great price on an alternative from Furore Products here

E Marked and Flat Beam profile.

I'm on  5 3/4", only £229 a pair, just fitted but not had chance to power them up yet, but at 2400 lumens dip and 3850 Lumens on full beam, should be much better than the even the best H4 Halogen. But only time will tell.

Andy,

Here is a link to the units I ordered and fitted to my car:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/led-headlights-h4-fully-integrated-6000-lumen-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v

If you search for Caterham on their site, only one set of headlight bulbs will appear in the results... a few other bulbs will also appear in the results but these will be for sidelights and indicators etc...

Hope this helps.

The ones above are the ones I am probably going to order for my car, however a friend has just bought one of these ( https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-75-LED-Projector-Daymaker-DRL-HeadLight-Fit-Harley-Iron-XL-883-Sportster ) for his Harley Davidson, so when he has it delivered, I am going to try in the 7's headlight bowl as very reasonably priced (though not as bright as the classic LED's - but a lot brighter than the current H4's) and think it could give the 7 a different look? Will report and update with some photos when I try them.