Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Horrible noise

bspeed

On track day with my R400D when developed a mechanical noise from front of engine. Got worse over next half mile so slowed right down. Pulled off at end of straight and stopped engine. Tried to start it again but not enough juice in battery to start it again. Towed back to pits and bump started it ok but still same noise at front of engine. Noise souds very mechanical as it something has broken/rattling badly. Could it be the alternator falling apart? Checking and nothing obviously loose. Any ideas?

Even easier then. Get a spanner on the auto' tensioner pulley (15mm on a duratec I think), release tension and slide the belt off the alternator pulley. When you're done checking the alternator bearings, swing the tensioner pulley across to get enough slack to replace the belt onto the alternator pulley and release. No mucking about subjectively setting the tension on the belts to worry about.

Edited by - garybee on 28 Oct 2012 19:56:27

In reply to above. Oil level fine and no loss of any fluids. Not enough power in battery to turn over engine but bump started OK. Nosie was engine speed dependant. Oil pressure seemed ok. What else at front of engine to go wrong? Going to drop it off at McMillan Motorsport to let them diagnose the worst! 😳

Sorry to hear ☹️

It sounded like the problem my sigma had when it blew. I know it's a different engine, but I learnt 2 things:

1) It needs to vent oil into the catch tank to calibrate what he right oil level is.

2) long right handers are the worst - You weren't at Snetterton were you? Or Mallory?

Jez

Sorry to hear the news, number 3 and 4 tend to be the first to go. I've seen it a number of times. The cranks can be ground and still give good service. There are plenty of standard pistons and rods available.

Options are

1 new bottom end for engine

2 repair /replace parts

3 complete new engine

4 secondhand engine

Any advice as which way to go 1,2 and 3 likely to be about the same price, 3 most expensive but waiting other prices for replacement engine. All are painful ☹️