Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Random tool recommendation

Wrightpayne

• Leadership Team

Duck Tape has already been mentioned so someone surely has to make a contribution re cable ties. 

A proper cable tie gun tensions them properly and cuts the ends off flush so you don't cut your knuckles on them next time you put you end in the engine bay Here

There's a special place in hell for people who don't flush cut cable ties, leaving wiring looms like rose bushes.

That was the only criticism at my post-build inspection. I now use the end cutting nippers from the wallet of posh pliers.

Jonathan

PS: When we're striking theatre sets everyone tries to save money by undoing the vast numbers of cable ties... until they've had enough and start cutting. But sometimes not everyone changes at the same time ... :-)

we have solved that problem, we only use 3 inch screws and impact drivers or Gaffa , the one exception is when using material to cover things, then its a staple gun set to Half pressure, and the same place in hell that is reserved for the none cable tie flushers is also reserved for those that leave broken bits of staple legs sticking out of flats after the strike.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As this thread has cost me significants amount of money it's time to get recommendations for the next "essential" item.

Any recommendations for a thread guide -  also seen it called  thread pitch guide  - lots on Ebay but ,I would welcome recommendations .

I realise, " sadly", I might need to buy multiple ones for metric, imperial etc

Thanks

Curly

I think what you are after is actually better known as a thread gauge.  As you say, there are loads on ebay and they can be bought for as little as £3.  I wouldn't recommend one of those but for a few quid more you should be able to buy a half decent metric and imperial set for about £10-£15.  You can spend a lot more but for your probable needs a set for less than £15 should serve you well.  Make sure the markings on each 'leaf' are legible.  Mine cost less than a tenner years ago and are very useful but the markings are hard to read.  Keeping them lightly 'oiled' is a good idea.

You make no reference to measuring diameter, essential when using a thread gauge.  Presumably you have that covered?  If not you can pick up a reasonable vernier caliper for a similar amount.  I see there's even a Moore and Wright 6" vernier (a well regarded brand) available on-line for £20 delivered, or even a Mitutoyo for under £40!  Whatever you use, get one with a case.  

As you've already found out, acquiring the 'necessary' tools is an easy way to spend "significants amount of money" but with care you should build yourself a decent tool library.  

Ezzer

I know the 'tinternet' will find you most information I have always found this small reference guide for all things Drills, Reaming, Threads etc., immensely useful over the years. I'm still quite analogue finding paper based information easier to read and also of the generation that was brought up using both Imperial and Metric units of measurement.

I often find myself using both metric and imperial measurements on the same job when setting out!

1_7.thumb.jpg.904d0d75fbb362505e4dbe6e4f663f1e.jpg

2_8.thumb.jpg.f36633eca277cb3845695a377850c5af.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So, having run out of black rubber gloves and prices seemingly sky rocketing I resorted to a pair of these for working on the seven. I was skeptical at first as I thought I'd lose the 'feel' but they have been brilliant, don't tear and no sweaty hands. I dont think I'll be going back to disposables!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-kf120-pu-palm-dip-gloves-black-large/458fr

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit of a thread resurrection! 

Just purchased a pair of Stanley automatic wire strippers - what a revelation! For years I've used manual wire strippers and they're a bit awkward / difficult to use in tight places and on short wires. Invariably you bash something when the insulation 'lets go'!

I got mine from Screwfix - shop around for the best price.

Click here to see some strippers 

• 2 weeks later...