Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My exhaust is spitting flames on every gear change

frankyknuckles

People have pointed out that there are flames to be seen from my exhaust on every gear change during acceleration. I can aslo hear loud pops coming from the exhaust on each gear change. Also, on over-run, flames are also seen (and pops and bangs etc).

It would appear that it is time to re-pack my exhaust. My car is about 1 year old and has always been run with a de-cat pipe, 5000 miles including several track days.

I have never used any kind of sealer around the 4 to 1 collector / decat pipe. What would be the best thing to use. Clear SIlicone sealant or exhaust paste ?

I have not made any changes to my engine since new and the flames have only been evident this year. Is it likely that this is cuased by lack of exhaust packing and maybe the exhaust sucking in air from the un-sealed joins in the system?

Obviously my car is running rich, but should I be concerned about anythig else being wrong ?

Thanks *thumbup*

www.R300.net

Franky - don't you have an Emerald?

If so, is the 'Fuel cutoff on overrun' enabled?

Mine popped and banged like a nutter until I switched this on - I'd like a halfway-house (some pops/bangs, but not to the point where I worry for my can...)

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

First thought - lucky bugger 😬

Practical advice - RTV High Temp silicone is the stuff to use on the joint. I just did it and it doesn't pop and crackle anymore ☹️, but I guess that means things are how they are supposed to be....

Good luck.

• Leadership Team

I had similar issues when I did some re-mapping of my Emerald. Problem solved by increasing fuelling at high rev/low load sites, ie. the ones you're at when you're revs are up and you shut the throttle to change gear. It's actually underfuelling rather than overfuelling - Dave Walkers book explains it all *thumbup*

Stu.

Yes I agree. Popping and banging and flames are caused by an imcompletely burnt fuel mixture meeting a hot exhaust which leaks fresh air in through its joints.

The combustion can be incomplete due to weak or rich running as in either case the mixture is not being burnt optimally.