Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BMW/Titan LSD Viability

Geoff Brown

In the interests of transparency it be interesting to know what exactly was on p54 that has disappeared, when it happened and what prompted it?.......  Im assuming it was there for some time and wasn't removed immediately, hence leading me to the assume there was an 'Event' that prompted the action? 

Not being an IT expert i am guessing it is also possible that a page has disappeared as an IT glitch ..........  but im sure someone will fill in the detail around that soon 

incase i have missed a direct request already in the thread - 

In the interests of transparency and in order to clear up any further speculation, would it be possible to have a response from the leadership team on this please?

• Leadership Team

Clearly, there were ten posts on page #54 that so contravened the BC Code of Conduct that it proved necessary to remove the entire page, all ten posts, and replace them with a funny-fuzzy set of advertising images.   Wow - moderating with a vengeance!

Or it could just be a technical issue.

Hard to beat a good conspiracy theory, though.   Something to get excited about.

James

• Leadership Team

My point, which I think nearly everyone has appreciated, is that 'the letter' has not been redacted.  Except in your mind.  I mean, why would it be???  Hence it stands without any modification in your repost.

For what it's worth, I think (until the last few silly posts) that this has been a gem of a thread, drawing attention to a matter which has proven serious and expensive for many of us.  I speak as someone who had a sintered plate Titan (BMW diff) where one Belleville and one thrust washer had failed and broken up.  I was lucky not to have suffered further from the shrapnel that was then free to float around the final drive housing but once bitten, twice shy.  I fitted a Tracsport.  And I would probably have remained ignorant had it not been for this thread.

So - there's lots of really useful information on here.  Please don't devalue it by turning the discussion into some form of playground conspiracy theory.

James 

• Leadership Team

I admit that I have not read through all the posts on this thread, but with GM now having ref the business and no doubt Bob Laishley having a lot on his plate, wouldn't a follow up letter to Bob now be in order?

As others have said, this is clearly an issue that has affected a fair few owners over the past few years and a gentle reminder letter would hopefully put the issue back towards the top of BL and his exec team's agenda.

cheers

Rog

• Leadership Team

Just to say that the "missing" page 54 of the comments is now available - the failed first attempt to upload the image of the letter had somehow broken the website since the upgrade of PHP to version 8. So hopefully things are a bit more usable again.

Andrew

• Leadership Team

Thanks Andrew.

*thumbs_up_thumb*

Oh the irony; the disappearance of all ten posts on page #54 was caused by a technical issue stemming from an earlier failed attempt to upload 'the letter' that, it was being alleged, had been removed without explanation by the secretive moderators' group. You've got to smile...

@ Geoff Brown - I do think that Roger's suggestion above is worthy of follow-up.  Given the (mostly) informative content of this thread, what about contacting Bob L with a copy of Graham M's letter and a link to this thread, so that he is informed about the extent of the problem, the costs that many of us are incurring, and has the opportunity to make his own response?

James

• Area Representative

Challenge accepted. But give me some time to get the correct words together.

I will write on behalf of those not only here but the membership as a whole.

I hope 'Uncle Bob's reply is quicker than Macd's..........

Any one have Bob Laishley's Caterham Cars in box address?

• Leadership Team

Apologies if I'm saying what others have already said.  I have only just opened this thread for the first time in a long time.

May I just point out that the Club's moderators make it quite clear and transparent when a post has been moderated.  There will always be a comment posted by them to state that they have done so, in line with the Club's belief in transparency.  Yes, I do speak from personal knowledge.  I, too, have been moderated.

There's no need for anyone here to get paranoid.  It's me they're after! *frown*

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll return to looking for spent cartridges on this grassy knoll.

• Area Representative

Suitable two page dialogue created for 'Uncle Bob'. Just got to refine it a touch then will send straight to his in box with Macd letter attached.

Toughie - nothing like a bit of mystery. By the way I have the spent cases if you want them back *shoot*

Remember the statement - 'I have no live rounds or empty cases in my possession' !    Then the truth comes out in the washing machine........

• Area Representative

I will write on behalf of those not only here but the membership as a whole.

Geoff, you may not write on my behalf, you do not represent me. 

Nor can you purport to represent any member who has not posted on this thread. You do not know their opinions or experience. 

• Leadership Team

Geoff:

"Challenge accepted"
Well, it was more of a suggestion, rather than a challenge.

"I will write on behalf of those not only here but the membership as a whole"
It would be unwise to presume that you can write on behalf of anyone other than yourself, so I'd suggest you make no attempt to represent the views of others in your note.  The thread, and the comments in it from various other people, stands on its own if you choose to provide a link to it in your note.  But, it has to be your note, and your note alone.  As the originator of this thread you're uniquely well placed to make the approach.

James

Geoff, you can certainly write on my behalf, though to be honest this is all a dead horse for me now. 

I believe I was poorly served by CC both in being sold a car with a 'not fit for purpose' diff, and hugely disappointed by their lack of interest or support when I had the problem. 

I don't have the issue any more and I'd be amazed if CC offer anything but platitudes but I'm not going to waste any more time flogging said horse. 

Good luck! 

• Area Representative

Maybe a bad use of words. No one has been directly mentioned or represented as an owner or club member. The letter is in the singular - just myself. A link to this thread has been supplied.

• Area Representative

BigCol # 624 - just to bring to Bob Ls attention something that he may not be fully aware of after his hand over from Macd. Also to comment about the fact that CC have NEVER made the service requirements for a BMW/TITAN available to customers which in IMO led to the sudden demise of a lot of LSDs.

Message sent 22nd March & I know he received it. So just a matter of time before a reply. Or not !