Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Options?!

Gregs79

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could assist. I have just placed my deposit at Caterham and am going to build a supersport or supersport r that will be used for road, track and touring. I am looking at what options to pick. There are some definites and some that I am undecided about. Any thoughts and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Definites

Lowered Floors

Momo Steering Wheel

Options

4 Pot Brake Kit & Uprated Mater Cylinder

But seems cheaper to buy as an optional extra or have i miss understood?

Weather Equipment

I would like a windscreen, wipers, washer jets etc, but reading the forum I want to go with a Half Hood Mohair hood, boot cover & doors rather than a full hood. I am trying to work out the costs, but don't know all of the parts i'd need! Or is it just easier/cheaper to spec the weather equipment at time of ordering? Any body been through this quandary?

Track Day Roll Over Bar

Same price as a separate part, why is this, does anyone know?

Interim Exhaust Catalyst Bypass Pipe

Advised that they are worth it?

Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I look forward to meeting some of you at my local event in Yorkshire if anyone knows when it is?

Cheers

Gregs

Edited by - Gregs79 on 7 Jul 2013 15:12:22

LSD is a defo if you can afford it. trackday rollover bar as well. Why they even supply a standard one still I have no idea. At some point you will want to do a trackday and for club days they are mandatory. Both these items will be on the wishlist for second hand buyers if you ever want to sell as well.

Hoods? I am in the minority here but nothing will keep you as dry as a full hood. Have been caught in torrential rain driving home from three trackdays, knackered and not in the mood for a soaking. Full hood is worth having in my view.

Uprated master cylinder wont give you any more braking power -just a rock hard pedal with liitle or no travel.

Oh, and if you can afford it, the Duratec engine is far more easily upgradeable and to a higher top end than the Sigmas.

Welcome to yhe club and enjoy the build. *wavey* *thumbup*

Cheers,

Martin

As has been said already definitely the track day rollover bar, an LSD is also a good move although not everyone will agree.

Windscreen and doors are useful but I'd combine them with a SBFS half hood, however I guess you get the roof as part of the package.

I would order it with factory weather gear. That way you get the full kit and it's on the build spec if/when you want to sell.

Eventually you may want an aero so ask for the quick change windscreen bracked which allow you remove the screen from above only (so to speak)

Go for an R with Duratec. Changing and upgrading engines is the single biggest money drain. Spec the engine now will keep you happy for a long time and save you spend in the next few years. Also at resale it is easier for buyers to understand what they are getting. Upgrade spend is only fractionally reflected on resale value.

Watch out for what harnrsses you get. CC used to fit top end Luke with double lver release buckles on the shoulder straps. Now they fit nasty low spec version. Try to get them to order a decent set and you'll enjoy the ease of use forever.

TD roll bar? Consideted a cage?

Peter

Not related to your car, but the York-area meeting is third Wednesday of the month, at the Gold Cup Inn, Low Catton (near Stamford Bridge).

Details in the back of Low Flying every month; I'm guessing you've only just joined so maybe haven't had one yet.

:)

Start from the R - You'll appreciate the upgrade potential

LSD is best thing on my car

Good call on lowered floors and Momo with QR Boss

Forget the big brakes for now, get Mintex 1144 pads up front.

Forget the heater - There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

I would however get the Weather Equipment from day one but see if they'll swap out full hood (else delete) for half hood (and you still want the Aeroscreen).

Full hood is a waste of space, claustrophobic, impossible to fit when you need it and makes cabin noisy

Best harnesses you can get, 6 point ready for track days

FIA Bar and Petty strut

Battery Master switch

12V socket

I don't know what the current standard seats are but there are much better offerings that the 'Caterham' Tillett from Tillett themselves.

Agree regards the Armourfend. Will do that when we rebuild.

Consider colour, stripes and visibility.

Some of the above are available at much better prices from third parties even factoring standard items supplied (which you can sell on). So research well *thumbup*

Come along on the 17th, it will be quite a turn out if weather stays fine as folk from Pennine and South Yorkshire will also Blat in.

Only thing I would add to that list is a quick rack (22%) and a 7" silencer if you intend to track it. It will make the car easier to get through the noise tests and be more responsive in corners without being undrivable on the road.

Steve

.. Forgot to say that I wouldn't bother with the Cat Bypass pipe. It is really only for looks as the power gain is slight because the cat fitted is relatively free-flowing. You will also have to refit it each year when you get to MoT tests.

Steve

I bought the car with std brakes then buy the big brake kit. You will also need to buy different rear pads. You have brand new front callipers, disks and rear pads to sell.

I would not go with Caterhams QR column, I'd go with the Rapfix version with a Caterham column then get the Momo of your choice. The Rapfix does not start to wobble after 100 miles, are a lot easier to get on and off. Again you have the std Mountney wheel and column to sell after IVA.

You want a LSD but I'd only want a Titan and I'm not sure what CC are selling at the mo.

Weather kit, sell the silly roof (CC gave me £200 credit for mine) buy a half hood.

Trackday roll bar. The std one isn't worth it's scrap value so no point in getting the TD one from the parts desk.

Personally I would have the carbon dash but that just for bling and I like bling *wink*

If you only listen to one thing then let it be this, buy the "R" !!! You will not regret it and it will save you money in the long run.

Jason

All the stuff above plus:

Mines BRG and love it but you become invisible to other road users, especially at roundabouts. If I had my time again I would go a brighter colour or at least a nose band…..and drive with the lights on.

I love these threads. So easy to spend other people's money...

Standard brakes are fine with uprated pads. 200 Caterham racers use them without any problems and they're perfectly capable of locking the wheels. All you'll gain with bigger brakes is (possibly) improved feel.

Limited slip diff is good for doughnuts, and avoids the need to apply any skill when exiting corners on track. It's far more satisfying to get it right without wheelspin on a standard diff.

Sigma engine may not have quite the ultimate power potential of a Duratech, but it's significantly lighter and there are tuning options up to 200hp which should be enough for most people.

You'll never get agreement on weather gear. I used mine twice then put it in the loft, others use theirs regularly.

Lot of disagreement on the 22% rack too. I've never tried one, but most of my fellow racers don't use them so I certainly wouldn't regard them as essential on track.

Quoting Roger Ford: 

Limited slip diff is good for doughnuts, and avoids the need to apply any skill when exiting corners on track. It's far more satisfying to get it right without wheelspin on a standard diff.

Sigma engine may not have quite the ultimate power potential of a Duratech, but it's significantly lighter and there are tuning options up to 200hp which should be enough for most people.

Hmmmmmm- does a lack of LSD really allow a lack of skill at corner exit? An LSD certainly makes the rear more mobile- but the tail comes out a lot quicker so you need to be quick.

I take your point about the lighter sigma engine- but the tuning options for sigma are ££££.

I would concur with the others and advocate LSD and a Duratec.

All,

Thank you very much for all your feedback. Always like to hear peoples thoughts and experiences and expected them to be varied. :-) Gives me some other things too look into before deciding on the final specs!

Also i notice looking at the Caterham shop there are imperial and metric cars especially when looking at the roll bars!? *confused*

Feel free to keep them coming. :-)

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Gregs

Quoting Roger Ford: 

Lot of disagreement on the 22% rack too. I've never tried one, but most of my fellow racers don't use them so I certainly wouldn't regard them as essential on track.

So you'll not be moving to SigMax any time soon then Roger! The LSD enhances (for me) the track experience, but all it'll do on the road is grind horribly when cold. I have the 22% rack but can drive with either - I do think it helps when there is a need for a quick dab of oppo, again on track.

Think about black pack. It looks better with a bright colour, but is expensive for what it is. And check that you don't want a special tall roll bar before going with standard.

Good luck!

Jez

Quoting charlie_pank: 
I'm going to be controversial slightly deliberately

Save your money, buy a low-spec kit/car and learn to drive it.

Upgrade over time as your spannering and driving skills improve...

maybe a valid point but Greg could be a stunning driver already and feels spending another 5-10k now is better than spending 10-15k later on the same stuff?

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 10 Jul 2013 21:04:11

I'm a new Caterham owner and opted for a Supersport 1.6 with the following options. Lowered floors, full weather kit ( I have used it a few times in atrocious weather and it was not that bad) I also ordered a tonneau and use that a lot for parking up. QR steering wheel works well. The windscreen and side screens is fine as is the Trackday roll bar. I didn't realise but the standard Supersport exhaust is a little noisy and should have gone for the Trackday exhaust ( which is more expensive).

I also went for the six speed box and love it. A little noisy and revvy on the motorway but I keep way from them. I also added the crutch straps.

I have had the car now for 3 months and love it, covered 1800 miles and hasn't missed a beat. Goes well, handles and rides superbly. Even managed a trip to Le Mans with a friend who is 67 and who had a hip replacement. He commented on how comfortable it was in the TIllets. I also bought from oxted the leather diamond stitched seat covers for the Tillets as the seats can get a bit cold.

Loving the car and what ever you buy it will be fun.

Thanks again for all the replies.

A bright colour is definitely on the cards, may well get it wrapped or painted locally as I think Caterhams paint prices are expensive (a mate does it for a living) and feedback what colours looked like (no samples) was poor in my opinion!

I am 5'10" and am looking to buy the FIA roll bar over the standard (not sure what the difference is against the trackday and FIA roll bars).

I will be using the car all year round for everything.

On the supersports, does anyone know the answers to the following?

With the Aero screen, do you get half doors?

If you buy the weather kit, do you till get issued with the standard aero screen (and half doors if supplied as standard)?

I see that Jason and some others have opted out of the full hood, has anyone done it the other way and specced the aero screen at time of purchase and then added the windscreen and side screens afterwards?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks in advance.

Gregs