Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brand new sigma road sport with flicking rev counter & very low oil pressure..

Martin J

I went with Steve & soon to be new owner Alan to CC South today so he could pay for his car. He takes delivery on Tuesday & is VERY excited! *biggrin*

The sales guy started it up & it sounded fine, nice smooth tick over etc. First thing I noticed was virtually no oil pressure showing on the gauge. *eek* I pointed out this & the sales chap said that is OK & will rise with increased revs. It didn't needless to say & I said to Steve we will check the oil level before we leave. (This was a little over minimum & clean so no problems there) I'm guessing dodgy pressure sensor. Anyone else had issues?

Also on tickover the rev counter constantly flicked from about 900rpm to about 1500rpm every few moments *confused* Sales guy was very firm that they all do this! Anyone else noticed this?

Hopefully minor issues & Steve & I didn't make a big deal about it as we didn't want to spoil Alan's big day.

Edited by - martin jeffrey on 20 Mar 2013 20:33:59

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I would check is the earth behind the dash - mine is above the passenger knee area on a wiper motor mount or similar, IIRC (there are more than one, but this one helped my gauges). May need to loosen, scrape the paint underneath, apply a dab of conductive goo, and re-tighten.

Edited by - BBL on 20 Mar 2013 18:47:20

As I am sure is the case with your car Martin, I have a good 4 bar at cold idle dropping to about 2 when warm, and the rev counter is very stable.

I does sound like the two issues might be linked, but if I was him, I would refuse to drive a car with no oil pressure on the gauge. Let's hope they get it sorted, but it is annoting when they insult your intelligence like this.

Duncan

thanks *thumbup*

I would be very surprised if there was oil pressure issues on a brand new sigma, oh forgot to say the car has done a handful of miles, 80 odd I think for the IVA I assume & there were no rattles etc *eek* Wouldn't you think they would have noticed this & at least investigated! *rolleyes*

I'm sure it will work out fine but not long to get used to his first caterham as we are all off to Austria late June. *smile*

Oil pressure on my Sigma always been good, does drop quite low at idle but as soon as revs build so does the oil pressure. I have had to replace the sender which failed early on. Unlike the other contributors here, my rev counter does 'twitch' and has done ever since new (self build). CC at Dartford told me this was common and not a problem!

Car is being transported up CC Midlands for collection on Tuesday by Alan. (hope he gets some sleep before then as I thought he might burst with excitement) He lives in Crewe so unlikely to be joining us on Kent blats!

I thought afterwards what we should have done was started up an identical car in the showroom & said "well that one doesn't do that!!"

Will keep you posted on the outcome. *thumbup*

Wow, I wouldn't buy a car from a salesman who told me that.

It certainly sounds like an earthing problem, but either the seller:

1. Noticed the problem and couldn't be bothered to fix it

2. Didn't notice the car had no oil pressure

Would you want to buy a car from anyone who did either of these things? What else had they not noticed or not bothered to fix?

I bought my first Caterham last April,- a 2 year old roadsport with 3k miles (had supersport upgrade done at CC south before I collected it. I drove it back to Yorkshire in dreadful conditions, gauges were all over place, rev counter flapping like the privvy door when the plagues in town, and car cut out completely 3 times en route (bum gravy inducing moments)! I was fobbed off by several staff at CC South (like you have been), assuring me that any faults were 'characteristics of all Caterhams', went along with their excuses at first but after several trailer loads of Prime BS, car eventually went back to CC Midlands (collected by them after I dug heels in). Problems were sorted but ended up with new ignition barrel, all gauges replaced and several other bits (can't remember what 'cos I'm trying to forget about it and enjoy my 'now superb' car)

With hindsight, I should have turned around at first sign of trouble and returned car to CC, refusing to go anywhere til problems were sorted. Caterham excitement is a great thing which can blind you to admitting there is a problem with your new toy!

GET IT SORTED BEFORE YOU TOUCH IT.

-you should be embarrassed.

the trouble is, Jerry, they are totally unashamed.

When I bought my first Se7en I made the mistake of driving it out of the showroom when I knew damn well that they'd made a pigs ear of the PDI. I spent the first 6 months of ownership trying to get CC to take responsibility for the faults with my car.

During my time in this club I can't remember how many times I've read threads similar to this one.

I can understand any company not being perfect and can forgive any company making mistakes but the way CC abuse the loyalty of their customers and insult their intelligence, is unconscionable.

Brilliant product (eventually) but a dreadful company.

I'll live with the fact that that my thoughts won't be popular

With you on this one Martin. CC have to remember they have a fabulous product, but a very close-knit bunch of customers that cannot be fobbed of with the sort of excuses that the average main dealer can use to bamboozle Joe Public.

Come on CC ....... get your act together. We are behind you all the way, but we need to be treated with some respect.

Check the sender - a fellow LADS with a Sigma 150 is on his 3rd OP sender and they aren't cheap - but should be on warranty.

They are also nigh on impossible to get at being under the inlet manifold between 1&2 cylinders and next to the plastic moulding for the crank breather

I too have a rev counter that flicks on tickover and has done so since day one. The car is a 2009, factory built Sigma engined Roadsport. I have never bothered taking this up with Caterham as the rev counter behaves normally when the vehicle is being driven and apart from this the car has performed flawlessly.

Edited by - Paul Reeve on 21 Mar 2013 17:09:25

I too felt uneasy about posting my last comment on this thread, but potential buyers need to know the level of service, care and honesty that CC provide when you walk into their showroom. This is no ordinary mass produced, Vorsprung Durch 'smooth as a bairns arse' car we're dealing with here and neither is that what we expect. We just want some honesty, good support when things go wrong (which invariably they do) and not to be treated like someone from the 'thick table' to quote a famous northern comic! After spending nigh on £23k on a low mileage, relatively new product, I expected and should have received better treatment. Get your act together or you may struggle.

• Leadership Team

My 2012 kit build had rev counter issues from new, went back 3 times for new dials and earth fixes. Eventually had to have the engine out to change the wiring!! Certainly want this sorted before you drive it away!! *wavey*

Mine was all dealt with at the factory and they were very helpful - credit where it is due. *smile*