Click here if you are having website access problems ×

In dash USB

evotell

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... we don't know the intended use. Is it only for power or will you be moving data through it? If it's only for power I'd probably use an adaptor too.

Does everyone know about the EU's decision that mobile phones sold in the EU (etc) must be able to be charged from micro USB? There are similar decisions from other industry and standards bodies. That might mean that micro USB will become the de facto standard for other power supplies.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 11 Nov 2012 09:54:40

• Leadership Team

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
... we don't know the intended use. Is it only for power or will you be moving data through it? If it's only for power I'd probably use an adaptor too.
If it's anything more than power there must be features available for the 7 that I don't have ......... unless it's not the 7? *cool*

Stu.

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 

Does everyone know about the EU's decision that mobile phones sold in the EU (etc) must be able to be charged from micro USB? There are similar decisions from other industry and standards bodies. That might mean that micro USB will become the de facto standard for other power supplies.

Jonathan

I did. The funny thing is that Nokia still supplies a charger with a DC connector with some of their phones. The phones also have the micro-USB, which means you can charge them using another charger, but you can't use their charger for other brands phones. *confused*

I'd suggest avoiding the cigarette lighter USB module - if only because the cigarette lighter is a poor connector. If the tip spring is a bit too strong or the ground spring is too weak then the connection can be broken, which is not always obvious.

I use a latching XLR socket in my 7 as a conditioner/aux power socket. I also have a XLR to cigarette lighter socket lead for plugging in things like phone chargers that I've not converted to use the XLR.

It is also worth noting that there are 2 different and separate power outputs available from USB. 12V and 5v. The input that is needed for charging the device can vary. As an example iPhones/iPod Touches did support both 5v and 12v up until 3rd Generation (going from memory here so I could get it wrong), 3rd Generation onwards used 5v only. As you can imagine this caused a few problems for third party devices (like iPod docks) that used 12v to charge and new generation iPods wouldn't charge.

So this is worth considering when buying a panel mount. It would be best to try to find one that supplies both voltages to the socket.

Quoting cskip: 
It is also worth noting that there are 2 different and separate power outputs available from USB. 12V and 5v. The input that is needed for charging the device can vary. As an example iPhones/iPod Touches did support both 5v and 12v up until 3rd Generation (going from memory here so I could get it wrong), 3rd Generation onwards used 5v only. As you can imagine this caused a few problems for third party devices (like iPod docks) that used 12v to charge and new generation iPods wouldn't charge.
I don't think so. USB voltages and pins are defined by standard.

But different Apple chargers deliver different maximum currents. This mostly affects time needed to recharge a device.

Previous BC discussion here and here, with links to key USB documents.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 12 Nov 2012 13:56:17

The USB Battery Charging Specification allows up to 1.8A. It's the maximum current (and therefore power) options within that limit that vary between the different Apple chargers.

Jonathan

PS: More about Powered USB, but I don't think it's relevant to this purpose. I hadn't heard of it before.

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 12 Nov 2012 14:19:45

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Terry,

It seems there are lots of posts this weekend about powering accessories - must be the impending arrival of spring.

As several posts have stated, depending on what you want to power, a standard USB converter that plugs into a 12V cigarette lighter style socket may not be man enough to scare an iPad. I hate those 12V sockets and have nothing that needs one, so since I only need to power some USB devices (phone, iPad, GPS etc), I opted for the direct approach and built a custom 2 USB connection into the car's 12V system. The details are here, and it works great. All In ~$25.

I positioned the connections just under the dash, near the fuse box and an easy reach, since I did not want to ruin the smooth look of my carbon dash.

Mark

Edited by - CA Sevener on 17 Mar 2014 05:48:53

That's nice, Mark. But most people are going to buy rather than make these.

Any recommendations for the following:

1 A mountable unit that includes a "cigar lighter" socket and two USB sockets, at least one of which supports 2A for charging?

2 A dongle that plugs into a "cigar lighter" socket and provides two USB sockets, at least one of which supports 2A?

This sounds simple but there are lots of cheap, poor quality bits eg on eBay and Amazon, and IMO plugs and sockets from reputable suppliers often make very poor electrical contact.

I'm also assuming that even when micro USB is mandated for charging many of us will use adaptor cables to the device.

Jonathan

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 

Any recommendations for the following:

2 A dongle that plugs into a "cigar lighter" socket and provides two USB sockets, at least one of which supports 2A

Jonathan

THIS seems to do the job. I have a couple of them that were supplied with my recent sat nav purchase and it seems to charge the ipad nicely on the fast charge socket...