Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy Gearbox

cj247

I have a new 1.6K series with standard 5 speed gearbox with 600 miles on the clock. Ever since first start up the gearbox has been very rattly at tickover in neutral but if you press the clutch the noise disappears. Caterham agreed at the first service that it's noisy & are considering a warranty replacement but as I built the car myself I'd have to remove the gearbox or pay them about £650 to do so.

Looking at the various posts it seems that this is a common problem, but probabbly nothing to worry about & all part of the Caterham experience, so I'm wondering if I just live with it & replace the box/recon it if it fails or should I get it replaced under warranty with all the inconvenience or cost of having to remove the engine & gearbox? It was a bugger to get it in so I'm not in a hurry to do this! What about using a gearbox additive like Slick 50?

Have to say that the amount of gearbox/diff & general transmission noise is high & with modern manufacturing methods Caterham should have got this under better control. Seems like they rely heavily on the fact that the cars are owned & driven by enthusiasts who'll put up with a lot more than Mr Average. Despite this I'm enjoying my 7 *biggrin*

The input shafts do rattle so if it's the usual rattle then I wouldn't worry about it. As for the rest of the transmission noises, they are a 1980's design gearbox and diff so standards associated with modern manufacturing methods cannot apply *smile*

Glad it has not stopped you enjoying it!

TADTS!

Common problem & the above post explains why. Learn to live with it & invest in some earplugs. Amazing how modern it then sounds!

Oh & the 6 speed also does the same.

Raising the tickover above 1000 rpm does reduce the input shaft rattle somewhat so something to try along with the earplugs.

I assume oil level is correct? Makes an enormous difference. Don't forget also, that in a Sierra the box was infront of you, several feet away, under several layers of insulation and carpet.

In a seven it's slap bang next to you, the other side of a thin aluminium sheet.

Bri

CJ237, please remember that what makes our little cars so quick is their lightness. They are compact cars with no sound proofing. Modern cars are 3 times the weight with so much sound proofing that you can be doing 100mph without noticing. Resonance at certain revs can get things rattling. Go to a club meet and see what others think, it is likely to be a case of TADTS.

In case yours is exceptionally noisy (as CC suggest) I'd find someone else nearby with the same box and compare - it could be that yours isn't a TADTS after all and that it needs to be replaced. If it does then I'd argue about paying the £650 to CC - if they supplied a faulty box for you to fit then they should be prepared to compromise on the fitting of a replacement.

I don't think you should accept TADTS as an end all and be all, Iv'e got the same gearbox and there's no rattle at all. If it were mine I would treat it as a winter project and change the box then perhaps? I'm sure if there were any club members in your area they would be only to pleased to give you a hand.

Gearbox oil is correct, alignment is fine. Now I'm not expecting it to be super quiet given the age of the design, lack of sound proofing etc but if I can leave the car running on the drive & still hear the geabox rattling away inside the house that suggests something's not quite right Anybody with a std 5 speed live near Guildford/Horsham so I can compare?

Tried increasing the idle & it helps marginally. How about Slick 50 additive?

Quoting CJ247: 
if I can leave the car running on the drive & still hear the geabox rattling away inside the house that suggests something's not quite right

Right, now you have given us an idea of the extent of the rattle I would say it's not TADTS and it should be changed.

Jason

I have a newly built Seven with the 5 speed box and sigma engine. When in neutral with foot off the clutch there is a slight noise which goes when I depress the clutch and engage gear.

It certainly isn't loud. I'm sure you need a new box unfortunately.

It's a real pain having to take out the engine, but if I were you I wouldn't pay Caterham to do it. When my car was in for PBC and IVA I found a couple of things had been done that I wasn't happy with. I'd much prefer to do the work myself.

If it makes you feel any better, my winter project is to replace my noisy differential.

Duncan

when at idle there is always a rattle from the layshaft in the type 9 gearbox. this will disappear if you depress the clutch or raise the idle to circa 1100rpm.

on the other hand, it may be a rattle that indicates a problem if it's louder than the normal layshaft noise. get along to the local meet and get a few experienced members to listen if it's the normal rattle or something more serious .