Click here if you are having website access problems ×

vibration and rattles

redlight

Good morning Red Light,

Mine is ten years old and if i go over a sharp bump I get clonks and boings from the boot area. If I am just on the throttle or just on coasting the diff clonks and 'percolates'. At certain revs i get a vibration noise from the front offside of the cockpit. Then i get out and climb into the family Astra estate and suddently i'm in a silent inner world of 'marmallowness' where everything is soft and undefined like just waking up... but more boring!! Im still searching for the noises in the 7.. Ive got used to them now but SWMBO still throws a look after we cross a cattle grid at 60! 😬 😳

I think you just get to know and love the little rattles, cluncks and grumbles, it's just the car talking to you 😬, the trick is to get used to the conversation so you notice when you get a new ping, grumble or rattle, they are the ones that need checking

Tim

On mine the rear drop links rattle as do the rear ARB (bushes need replacing - or take the whole lot off, as has been suggested to me)

I also get a rattle at low revf from the washer bottle mounting vibrating against the pax foot well panel

Another set of little jobs to do

Mike

Noises are generally there to stay - try and identify what they are and as suggested only worry when you hear new ones!! Keep an eye on the gauges - my new radiator developed a leak and I was lucky to spot the rise in temperature before it got critical!

Not sure what sort of vibrations you are getting - I had all my wheels re-balanced by a good tyre shop (3 of my wheels - supplied by CC) were way out of balance! - It transformed the drive and I can now see what is in my mirrors!

Well mine went throught the CC post build check and then failed the test ! due steering not returning to centre...I had issues with the upper half of the steering rod that was the roughest bit of coated steel you could imagine and hads to be replaced during post check, and then this has happened.

Gutted during this long spell of heat, over easter, missed outings,

oh for a rattle.

yep ... your right .. if its the New Forest the limits 40mph! To keep the ponies safe. But if its not!!! Driving very slowly over grids prolongs the agony. If you zip over it just goes BRRR! If you go too slow it goes,,,,krunch,clang,thwak,twang, Bish, Bosh, Wallop and Doink. Also SWMBO says something like ' what the rattle, tinkle, clonk was that dearest hubby? As we all know it is best to get most things over with quickly where SWMBO is concerned or you get a Dong wallop thwack around your earole before you have finished!! *smokin*

if you drive live axle you have to watch out for terminal clunks that signal the A frame centre bushes having gone. Just replaced mine this evening, it now takes longer to put the tools away and wash than the job itself.

Chris

Quoting red light: 
Just got my 175 roadsport back form the post build check, great fun to drive apart from the rattles and vibrations. Nothing serious but very annoying. Let me know what you have found causing this type of problem please. *confused*

Ok then. Over the last few years I have driven a few sevens and every single one of them had a VERY annoying buzzing from around the drivers right lower leg area. It really did drive me mental (well allmost ) so I was determined to fix this on the car I just built. I was really hard to find but I did. It was a resonance in the side skin, it was not rattling against anything it was simply a resonance at certain RPMs.The cure was to bond the side protection sheets to the side skin with RTV and a buzz has never been heard from there. But now I can hear the other side buzzing away which I could not hear before over the drivers side buzz.... 🙆🏻

Jason

Blat mailed you Longy re the hood.

SWMBO has been out today with the doors off for the first time. No rattles or clonks but she did say 'Whats that swishy, whooshy, howly, blasty thing going on my dearest' I asked her to remain calm and to keep carrying on in a proper British fashion and that the swishy whooshy will carry on for at least and hour after we get out *rolleyes*