Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine weights?

Ozzy

Just thinking about something mentioned on another thread. Whats the difference in engine weights between the usual suspects (K,VX,Xflow etc), and how does this translate into BHP per ton. Actually, I don't even know how you work this out?

Just curious, as presumibly higher power engines (in a 7) are not necessarily quicker, if the engines a bit of a porker *smile*

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

82 Kg see here and here

fully dressed with everything except starter and alternator - inlcudes flywheel , clutch, steel crankshaft (heavier than cast), Scholar eveo 2 block (heavier than rover liners), drysump pan , dry sump pump and cradle , alternator brakets all coolant and drysump pipes the whole lot, plus no doubt 1-2litres of coolant in the block and 1litre of oil flaoting around in there.

I will be weighing the engine on a second set of scales tonite *thumbup* , previously weighed in as 79Kg in the same state of dress or 74Kg without all the collant /oil pipes and drysump pump.

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Does anyone have a Seven that weighs in anywhere near its spec weight, let alone the engine? I know I'm running the risk of starting a huge debate here, but I taken to thinking about this one after reading this month's Low Flying, where a few cars had been weighed with and without drivers etc.

I mean, how many Superlight owners have cars that actually weigh 500kg dry? and how many Roadsport owners have cars weighing in at the 550kg spec?

The thing is that published power to weight ratios are very misleading and Caterham use their's to their advantage. Most manufacturer's quote the kerb weight including a full tank of petrol and the (average) driver. CC don't. When it isn't in their favour to quote power to weight ratios (as with the CSR) they resort to power outputs again.

Werent all the superlights weights as published by caterham supposed to be what they weighed if you just ordered a 'default' car and specified no options. Hence if you ordered a superlight R with Screen and weather gear it ended up weighing more than originally stated by caterham.

Having said that I'm sure that their weights were rounded down to give the cars a nice round BHP per ton figure.

• 2 weeks later...