Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series Sump Foam Check Today

Skipper555

Well today's job of dropping the sump to check the foam baffle was 100% worth doing today.

That's getting removed and not going back.

20240401_161554.jpg

Edited by Skipper555
Correct spelling in title
  • Like 2

The pick up is quite clogged with the broken up foam. What's the best method of clearing this out?

Also it look like the sump gasket has split around the back as well so I'll look at sourcing a new one, possibly one of the modified ones with the extra holes.

20240401_164149.jpg

20240401_164209.jpg

20240401_164213.jpg

I'd definitely ditch the foam and fit a holey gasket. (And that's also the case whatever the state of the foam.)

IIRC the pick-up unscrews from the underside of the block. I'd take it off in order to be sure that it's decrudded.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Cheers. I'm going to try and source a new gasket.

I've got the pickup off, I'm just not 100% on the best way to clean it. Maybe with some old petrol or something after picking out what I can?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem; oil pressure dropped suddenly.  Got the car back to Sevens and Classics who fixed it under warranty. They simply dispensed with the foam and as far as I know fitted an ordinary gasket. A few thousand miles later and all is OK

• Like 1

Hi Skipper555,

Do you know how many years and/or miles your foam was in for?

I'm about to open up the sump on mine this weekend - according to the logbook this will be the first time since 2019 (though only ~1000 miles ago). I do have a new foam and gasket direct from Caterham at the ready, but curious to see how durable the foam is and how often to change it. Evidently mine has had a relatively sedentary life in that time, so hoping I'll find the old foam in one piece and not churned up into the engine...

Cheers, Rob

Edited by RBatts

1 hour ago, SM25T said:

Just remove it and add the extra oil drain holes on the shelf of the sump gasket. Why take the risk.

I wish that someone had told me this so unambiguously. It would have saved me a lot of money and grief.

Jonathan

10 hours ago, RBatts said:

Hi Skipper555,

Do you know how many years and/or miles your foam was in for?

Cheers, Rob

I'm not clear on that. Judging by the state of the sump gasket (felt brittle and had cracked along one part of the "shelf") and the way the foam disintegrated I would think it's been in there a long time.

I've removed the foam now, and fitted a new drilled sump gasket provided by oilyhands.

• Like 2

I think the advice was swap every 4 years so i'm hopeful you'll be fine.

I worried lots about should i replace or remove. No idea or evidence when mine was last replaced but it was crispier than crispy seaweed and with less structural integrity. I decided to remove and use the modified sump gasket. After a few hundred miles i've had no obvious problems and am happy. Oil pressure is very stable. 

• Area Representative

Blimey ! How long has that foam been in there ?  Every four years is the usual change period. Obviously well past that.......

• Like 1

Have had just a drilled gasket for several years now but when I did do annual foam changes I saw no sign of break up. I ditched the foam to play it safe because of others with horror stories and it was an awkward job to change.

Old foam breaking up makes a lot of sense as it does in engines that are hammered during races but why regularly changed foam in a road car breaks up does not. As the K Series gets older there will be increasingly owners that have no knowledge that a lump of rotting foam in their sump even exists. Someone with more knowledge than the most of us decided the engine needs foam so there may be some risks (aeration?) in removing it that a drilled hole or three is not going to help.

There must be a middle ground.  Any K owners used something more durable, like a metal mesh or similar rather than the foam?  I replace the foam every 4th service, it has always been intact and healthy (looking).  However, I drive like Miss Daisy and maybe continue to just be lucky.  Every time I read similar posts I get nervous so will remove this summer.  Just amazed there has not been a good working alternative.

Thanks Mick, I can understand (with my very limited knowledge), the baffle will help prevent surge but I believe the foam was only there to prevent aeration of the oil.  Would be interested if anyone has found and fitted something more durable than the basic dish sponge. 

I did fit an Hellier anti-surge gated baffle when I ditched the foam. From what I have read it most likely does something but not a lot. My theory was that I will be worse off in one way but better in another. The foam is the wrong place to reduce surge so it being some kind of aeration filter makes the most sense to me. Similar to an Apollo tank but cheaper, no space required, no plumbing but probably less effective.