Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New website - feedback and ideas

700newtons

• Leadership Team
24 minutes ago, Golf Juliet Tango said:

Today I tried to add some detail to a post I made just minutes earlier but was refused the option.  I support having a time limit for editing (we don't want history rewritten) but surely this time limit used to be days not minutes?

How were you trying to edit and in what way were you refused the option (screenshot if possible). Can you also say which forum topic?

Edited to confirm editing is possible just after posting. Also possible for a post made yesterday...

Andrew

Edited by Andrew 21 Edney

• Area Representative

Hi Andrew.

In the Infographics thread. My original post was three hours ago and I tried adding an extra sentence more or less immediately. I still can't add this. This was on my Android handset and this may be the issue but wasn't in the past.

The handset isn't seeing my screenshot either, which is a puzzle. It only sees "previous attachments"

Edited by Golf Juliet Tango

I fundamentally disagree with this "don't want history rewritten" agenda, it is an unpleasant view of the membership and who we are and will degrade the value of our content over time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway that's not why I am here, though on reflection I am here because of this very editing issue. I wanted to update an old 2009 opening post (also avoids generating "new activity"), but it double line spaces whatever I do, is there a way to make it not do this? 

I am adding a completely new "opening post" as a comment as is now required by those in charge (speak to me in person and I'll tell you what I really think) and whatever I do it's double line spaced:

(Just to be clear I object to having my feedom of speech curtailed; by anyone.)

And "No" "you" do not have to tell me again you disagree and I have been over ruled.

So, about this double spacing is there a solution? 

Granted it is only a "would be nice" not a deal-breaker.

Happy New Year 🙂

Anthony

On 31/12/2023 at 17:13, Golf Juliet Tango said:

This may be the cause but if I can't post pictures there is an issue 

This is an issue for old blatchat souls because every picture we ever posted is included in our "allowance". And of course we can't go back and downsize because we can't edit. We discussed this a while ago (probably above in this thread) and the solution was to increase our space allowances. My private solution is now to upload using the site supported webp graphics format; which I am very ready to say is an excellent solution. However, apparently we do not have sufficient access (user or admin) to our site to go back in time and reformat all previous images. If we did I have a unix command that would do this. 

I think I gather site space isn't a real issue, just that some limit has to be applied - and can be uplifted.

Anthony

Edited by anthonym

• Leadership Team
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, anthonym said:

So, about this double spacing is there a solution? 

Granted it is only a "would be nice" not a deal-breaker.

Happy New Year 🙂

Anthony

I'm assuming you are talking about how paragraphs of text are spaced, rather than the spacing between lines of text within a paragraph. So, when you have a long list of short lines (such as a route) it doesn't look like you were expecting.

Edited by Andrew 21 Edney

• Leadership Team

What is interesting is that there are a lot more text formatting options when using my laptop (compared to using my phone), but it still does not allow me to do paragraphs which are not "double spaced". However, you can use a list to get a more compact format (provided you are OK with using bullets or numbers).

• Line
  • After line
  • After line

I'm going to see if there any other options to improve the editing experience.

An Admin can configure which editing functions show based on device size.  The default limits the options for small screens (i.e. mobile) given the limited space, but you can control which show.  You can also change carriage return behavior so that there is no extraneous line inserted.  Drop me a PM if you want me to walk you through the necessary steps in the admin console for either change.

-John

• Leadership Team

Posting from an iPhone.

If you type a line of text, then hit return you get a double line spacing.

If however you enter a line of text, then before hitting return you type two spaces it will give single spacing.  
Like this.  
And again.

Hope that helps.

Stu.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SLR No.77 said:

Posting from an iPhone.

If you type a line of text, then hit return you get a double line spacing.

If however you enter a line of text, then before hitting return you type two spaces it will give single spacing.  
Like this.  
And again.

Thanks.

Yes. i think that it may well be necessary to identify both issues related to pasting and issues related to editing once the text is on the site.

In Safari there's an option to Paste and Match Style. This can avoid a lot of problems with text that isn't plain text. I expect that other browsers have the same functionality. This can save time over explicit reformatting of text before pasting.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team
4 hours ago, SLR No.77 said:

Like this.  
And again.

Hope that helps.

Stu.

Thanks Stu, just seeing if works for Android too.  

However it doesn't seem to 😕

so, laptop chrome

without two spaces on the above line.  

with two spaces. Ok no worky on laptop. 

1. list
  2. line two 
  3. without two spaces on the above line.  

with two spaces. Ok no worky on laptop. 

4. wwww

5. www

6. so pasting in the non list text changes the list to double spaced.

7. list
  8. and pasting the first line in again reverts it to single spaced. I've been looking for a toggle but can't see one. 
  9. I wonder if code is
    single spaced code
    let's see
    if it is

indeed it is. 

10. ha! but it makes the list double space

11. it seems

Switching off the double spacing default would be ideal. Or giving us a toggle. 

hey ho
Anthony

sdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhj
sdfkslkfhjaslkdfhj
sdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhjsdfkslkfhjaslkdfhj

so usiing "code" puts us in charge of where we hit enter, and I suppose loses us the benefit of automatic word wrap

edit yes word wrap is lost

edit base don IAN MACQUARIE below

so after fixing the font use shift enter
get s single line
spacing

and absence is double line - on Mac. (Someone told me this and I forgot)

Anthony

Edited by anthonym

This is on a windows PC. This line ends with enter

and this line is double spaced. (new paragraph?) This line ends with Shift+enter
so this line is single spaced - Shift+enter again
results in single space again whilst Enter

Reverts back to a new paragraph and thus space between this line and the previous one.

I think shift+enter has the same effect in many windows programs.

Ian

good point re "paragraph" so the assumption is we never hit enter untl we want a new paragraph, which is it seems to me a false assumption in the nature of our chatter. This sentence is not using any carriage returns (enter) so as to demonstrate what happens which I expect to be single line spacing using wordwrap. I can see as I type this is what we have and so here the line has wysiwig word wrapped to this new line - so that will be different on probably every device depending on the message width. Now I will shift enter
and it continues on this new line which will show as a new line on every device  and now I hit enter

and I get a double line space for this new paragraph. So it is about paragraph spaciing as opposed to line spacing - but we (meaning me) don't want double line spaced paragraphs which may be wonderful in a word processed document but really do not work (i m o) for forum chatter.

granted while I am generating paragraphs by rambling on and it looks ok I become conflicted about what's best!

Edit: maybe it's about finding a way to make clear about the shift-enter feature whcih is currently hidden. and EASILY FORGOTTEN!

Anthony

Edited by anthonym

The previous BlatChat worked in exactly the same way -
[Shift]+[Enter] would start a new line without a gap and
[Return] would add a gap before the next line of text.

Useful for lists, like here! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2024 at 11:25, BigCol said:

The previous BlatChat worked in exactly the same way -
[Shift]+[Enter] would start a new line without a gap and
[Return] would add a gap before the next line of text.

thanks for this, I never lnew this. So Carriage Return (which was back to line beginning or /r) is new paragraph and shift-carriage-return is new line (LF /n)   (which was a turn of the wheel) as it were; no bell these days.. -anthony

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

JK has now uploaded quite a few documents (thanks JK) and they are easily found if you look as they are posted.  They appear to be located in Home/downloads/... as the attached screenshot.  However if you go to the Home tag there is no Downloads sub-menu so that makes the documents impossible  to find in the future (or am I being dim!)

JK upload.jpg