Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New website - feedback and ideas

700newtons

39 minutes ago, StevehS3 said:

Here is a test for fun and a ‘real life’ type of search I might do. There have been several posts over the years about extending the heater control to make it easier to reach. Best technique to find it? 😀

Whilst not an answer as how best to search, @graearea has 3D-printed a longer knob for himself (oo-er Mrs)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StevehS3 said:

Here is a test for fun and a ‘real life’ type of search I might do. There have been several posts over the years about extending the heater control to make it easier to reach. Best technique to find it? 😀

I’ll run that when I have a decent connection. (Currently fighting WiFi  on a CrossCountry train, despite a first class ticket. And tonight a cheap hotel in Manchester… )

Jonathan

On HEIC images not displaying inline: 

On 12/11/2023 at 14:22, Jonathan Kay said:

Confirmed with other browsers. (Thanks, John.)

Is it possible to support HEIC images with the new server software?

If not I'll draft something about workarounds.

Do we know that there isn't a server-side fix?

Thanks

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

5 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Perhaps you could explain how to do that from a modern iOS device.

I'm not a Mac user, but a simple online search revealed the following.  Might try that and report back to the group.  In my testing, the HEIC issue is not present when using an iPhone.  Just as they automatically change an HEIC file to a JPEG when emailing the image, they also upload them to the forum as a JPEG with no other changes. I'm not sure if I've simply been lucky or if that is consistent across Apple's mobile devices. I will say that in every instance where I've seen an HEIC file uploaded, logs show the device used was a Mac, not an iPhone.

You can convert HEIC images to JPEG format on a Mac using the built-in Preview app. Here are the steps:

1. Open the HEIC image in Preview.
  2. From the top menu, select File and then Export.
  3. In the Export dialog box, select JPEG from the Format dropdown menu.
  4. Choose a location to save the new file and click Save.

2 hours ago, cobar said:
2 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

I hadn't suspected Macs rather than iPhones/iPads and will follow that up

Interested to hear what you find.  My sample size is small, so my experience is certainly not definitive.  

HEIC images...

From the two incidents that I have seen since the site transition (and thanks for those quick responses):

Both were from photos taken on iPhones, although one passed through a Mac along the way.

And I've learnt a bit more which I'll add to the Forum User Guide.

Jonathan

https://support.invisionapp.com/docs/which-file-formats-are-acceptable

Which file formats are acceptable?

• Updated on 06 Jan 2023
  • 1 Minute to read
  •  Dark

For screens, we currently only support upload of source image files in GIF, PNG, JPEG, or PDF format. If you’d like to extract screens from PSD and Sketch files, check out Craft Sync which lets you generate screens right from within Sketch and Photoshop.

On 06/12/2023 at 06:00, Jonathan Kay said:

I hadn't suspected Macs rather than iPhones/iPads and will follow that up

I did a little more digging and this is an iPhone setting that will transfer a photo in a compatible format when emailing or texting, which is another way of saying it will convert HEIC files to JPEGs given the former is not universally supported.  To enable this, go to Settings, then Photos, then at the bottom of the screen, set "Transfer to Mac or PC" to Automatic.  

NEW & UPDATED

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but here goes.

In the previous version of the website it was very easy to see what I had not read (new topics and posts on existing topics), and I could scroll through numerous pages.  The new version will show me 10 topics if I select New & Updated, but I can't seem to be able to expand on this.  Is there something I am missing that would allow me to do this.

It was a great feature and what I used all the time to keep up to date.

5 minutes ago, Chris Ball said:

In the previous version of the website it was very easy to see what I had not read (new topics and posts on existing topics), and I could scroll through numerous pages.  The new version will show me 10 topics if I select New & Updated, but I can't seem to be able to expand on this.  Is there something I am missing that would allow me to do this.

Are you using a computer or a smart 'phone?

Can you control that with:

image.png.eae01db6c73240bcbe26d5bdf314c832.png

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

Something I would find useful would be a Save or Add to Favourites function for the Blat Chat. I often email a link to myself or take a screenshot of technical pages that I may want to refer back to in the future. It would save a lot of time searching.
Apologies if this has been requested or covered before. 

• Leadership Team
56 minutes ago, StevehS3 said:

Something I would find useful would be a Save or Add to Favourites function for the Blat Chat. I often email a link to myself or take a screenshot of technical pages that I may want to refer back to in the future. It would save a lot of time searching.

Hi Stephen,

I'm not sure which content you mean, but you can "follow" topics, etc. and then see the list you are following here: https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/followed/

Andrew

1 hour ago, StevehS3 said:

You've already got the email trick.

Andrew has described following.

Each post has its own URL. You can pick that up using the Share button. That can be bookmarked etc in the same way as any other URL.

I don't know if threads now have their own URL... anyone?

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

• 3 weeks later...