Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New website - feedback and ideas

700newtons

• Area Representative
On 19/10/2023 at 20:52, OldAndrewE said:

Just a minor issue but on the old site you could click on a member's name in a post and see where they are located (if they have put that info in their profile).  Useful if they are selling/buying or needing assistance.  Avoids the need for the 'Where are you located?' post.  Unless I am missing it the location does not show now

Andrew, a further point on this topic. If you click on a member’s display name and go to their profile, then IF they have joined any Areas and Groups then they will be listed on their profile. On a phone that’s on one of the drop-downs on their page. You should see that on my profile for instance.

While this won’t give you a very accurate location it will tell you the general area of the country they are in, if they haven’t joined too many Areas.

As more and more people try the site out, and join their local Areas then you should start to see more members profiles filling out with the Areas they’ve joined.

Is that the sort of accuracy you were looking for.

John.

Edited by 700newtons
test moderation (full stop added)

5 hours ago, Purplemeanie said:

Andrew, a further point on this topic. If you click on a member’s display name and go to their profile, then IF they have joined any Areas and Groups then they will be listed on their profile. On a phone that’s on one of the drop-downs on their page. You should see that on my profile for instance.

While this won’t give you a very accurate location it will tell you the general area of the country they are in, if they haven’t joined too many Areas.

As more and more people try the site out, and join their local Areas then you should start to see more members profiles filling out with the Areas they’ve joined.

Is that the sort of accuracy you were looking for.

John

John, I have seen that and of course that helps but there was an option for people to put a location in their profile.  For example I was discussing technical issues with Gridgway (Graham) recently and by clicking on his name I could see he is in Epsom (so too far to offer to nip round and see if I could help)

Edited by OldAndrewE
Typo

12 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

John, I have seen that and of course that helps but there was an option for people to put a location in their profile.  For example I was discussing technical issues with Gridgway (Graham) recently and by clicking on his name I could see he is in Epsom (so too far to offer to nip round and see if I could help)

Andrew,  ok, thanks for the feedback. This platform does have the ability to store address for users. But we felt that its options for full address would be too much detail and so needs more investigation. When we start to consider how to replace LoveAdmin then we will have to consider location in a bit more detail. 

Thanks again - I’ve added your use-case to the list.

John

Now that we have *quoting... and assuming that some Members will very familiar with it from elsewhere, and some won't...

There's lots of netiquette advice out there, so here are my top suggestions:

• Do trim the quoted section to the minimum that is needed. (I like to add a marker to show that I've done this... )
  • Don't read someone else's quote of your post as disagreement. This can happen by mistake very easily. Simply as continuation of the quoted topic.

Jonathan

* : - )

2 hours ago, chrisr1718 said:

In the For Sale & Wanted sections, the ability to delete your post once either the item has sold, or you’ve got what you wanted. This would save having to scroll through irrelevant posts, leaving only the relevant unsold items or unfulfilled wanted items.

Similar thought here.

I don't know about either the desirability or availability of such a function. But as Original Poster can you edit the Subject in the Original Post (for example to "Sold") and the text of the Original Post?

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

56 minutes ago, anthonym said:

Post numbers absent feels like a loss; hard to reference without quotes which seems somehow retrograde.

There's a hyperlink to the quoted post in the quotation.

And if you want a link to an existing post without quoting you can pick up the unique URL using the ellipsis option ( ... ) and then Share.

I can't see a workaround to replicate the *old workflow of using post numbers to help with scrolling to look for the original. 

Jonathan

* But I never liked doing it that way.

1 hour ago, anthonym said:

Post numbers absent feels like a loss; hard to reference without quotes which seems somehow retrograde. (But. new site is much much better!) Anthony

We did have a discussion with Invision about post numbers during the migration development and their response was that the more modern way of doing this sort of thing is with the quoting system that Jonathan has mentioned. Invision said it would not be possible to implement the #number system for us.

Of course this is fine going forwards but it is clearly not ideal when looking through historical posts. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth, and on the whole we felt all the other features out weighed the issues around some of the missing ones.

John

2 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Similar thought here.

I don't know about either the desirability or availability of such a function. But as Original Poster can you edit the Subject in the Original Post (for example to "Sold") and the text of the Original Post?

Jonathan

FWIW, I don't think deleting posts is the way to go. It causes all sorts of problems with people thinking they saw something but then can't find it again later. And for things that are bought and sold, I think it makes sense to be able to see the thread of the conversation in case you're looking to buy/sell something similar. And also, if you could delete the starting thread of the topic, then it doesn't seem right that any discussion should be deleted as the topic head is removed.

As for editing posts. Currently the site is set so you can edit content you submit for up to 7 days after submitting it. When assessing this we felt that indefinite right to edit was too long but that 7 days felt about right. I can't see a way of setting this per-forum (though there might be) as I could see that editing wanted/for-sale headings would be useful after 7 days.

It's common on most social platforms that if you're offered the option of editing your content, then you're only allowed to do so for a short period of time - often just a few minutes. Or else you get into all sorts of contortions with people changing history. 

An interesting one to be debated here I guess (what am I saying!)

John

Hi, 

I don’t seem to be getting any Notifications. When I open the notification list it does not show any apart from the one welcoming us to the new web site. I have checked the notification settings and have ticked all the boxes for notifications list but still no notifications for posts I have replied to when others reply.

20 minutes ago, Hulie Biasion said:

Hi, 

I don’t seem to be getting any Notifications. When I open the notification list it does not show any apart from the one welcoming us to the new web site. I have checked the notification settings and have ticked all the boxes for notifications list but still no notifications for posts I have replied to when others reply.

Hi Julian,

when you go to your followed content page, do you see the topics you're expecting to get notifications on. You can find the "Manage Followed Content" in the top right account drop down menu or here's a direct link... https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/followed/

John

46 minutes ago, simonhar said:

When I log on, I get an error message suggesting something has gone wrong. However the log on works and there is no problem accessing as a member 

I wonder if you have something stored locally from before the transition. Can you try from another device that has never seen the site before?

Jonathan

PS: I'm working though some similar things in order to bookmark the points of entry just where I'd like them.

On 22/10/2023 at 12:56, Jonathan Kay said:

Similar thought here.

Jonathan

This was mentioned on the old site as well, so the desirability is there. The availability of the function isn’t there, hence the suggestion.

The availability to delete any post should be an essential function, as it is on any social media site.

8 hours ago, anthonym said:

My opinion is over time this will create a significant devaluation of our site because we cannot correct content; not least marking questions "Solved" and For Sale items "Sold".

I just spotted an Everything / Solved / Unsolved flag in the stream settings. However, I cannot see where one might set this flag, any ideas?

• Leadership Team

'Solved' is a function where the OP can decide which post best solves a problem (but it's not enabled). I'm not sure that it would really work for the 'for sale' section. As has been said we will wait for the dust to settle and review some options based on how things have gone and the feedback here.

Simon