Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Underseal

Billy.Whizz

Does anyone underseal their C7, I'm thinking more about the mudguards/ wheel arches as I understand that the glassfibre versions are prone to star cracking on the top side due to stones being thrown up from the underside, so I'm thinking a good coating of underseal would provide a bit of a cushion, also what about underside panels and fuel tank. Thanks.

Bill.

I used a rubberized roof spray for inside guards, I had a horror moment when I looked over my almost new carbon guards with a  torch and you could see daylight strips through them where stones had obliterated the surface! Lucky I got to them before it cut right through...

In reality I think any heavy duty underseal will work. When I had the tank off I noted two worn parts either end that were exposed to road schrapnel so treated that too on the front and underneath edges.

• Leadership Team

Like Stu above, on my first 7 I bought some 5mm neoprene which I stuck on the inside of the wheel arches for protection from stones.

Someone suggested Isoflex because they'd heard that neoprene just traps water behind it.  I'm trying the isoflex on this car, but even put on thick, it doesn't give me confidence about the degree of protection from stones.

Nothing underneath a strip of helicopter tape next to the carbon guards. 

In 6 years I have one small star chip from underneath and a few small paint chips. I always thought I’d have had the wings off and resprayed by now but hopefully they’ll do for another few years before anything’s noticeable. 

This thread is great timing - as I've just got new arches back from having been vinyl wrapped and was thinking how to best protect and prevent the starring (the reason for getting new arches was loads of starring on the originals from 2010). 

Think I'll go with your recommendation Alan. 

With thanks

Chris