Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma oil filter removal- Help!

Packers

I have found this type the easiest to use. They do come in different sizes with different number of 'faces'!

The first few times I resorted to a long hefty screwdriver punched through the filter (near the top!) to give better leverage etc - messy but effective!

Good luck

• Support Team

I recently changed the oil filter on my Sigma and spent ages trying to get the chain strap but I just couldn't get into the right position given where the filter was and the positioning of the chassis tubes.

Bought this from Halfords and it was off in 5 mins.  Up from below, loop around and tighten and there is enough movement between the two chassis tubes to move it 1/5 turn each time.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/automotive-tools/halfords-advanced-professional-oil-filter-removal-band-926543.html

I use the same type as Andy has shown above but still had a huge fight with a Sigma filter recently due to it being insanely tight.  I've found that a band of cardboard or similar between the filter and band makes a huge difference and helps the steel band grip the smooth filter can.

So, success! Got the Sealey one and it was reasonably straight forward once I'd sworn a lot and removed the washer reservoir and then sworn some more.

Oakmere Caterham clearly wanted the oil filter to not leak when they installed the last one. Torque to free it was daft

Cheers for tips!