Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series won't turn over

cj247

Since I last washed the car 6 weeks ago & put it away in the garage I've not been able to get the engine to turn over let alone start.

As I'd left it a couple of weeks I thought the battery was flat so charged it up but still nothing more than a click from the solenoid. Given the battery is about 3 years old I though it had probably come to the end of it's life so replaced it but still nothing. Headlights are bright so clearly not a battery issue.

Tried bypassing the inertia switch but to no avail. Also replaced battery in immobiliser key fob in case that was the issue.

I then set about checking the wiring & earth but nothing obviously wrong. I then read up on the dreaded Caterham Click fearing this might have struck. Disconnected both large & small connectors to the MFRU but all connections look good but have replaced the relay with an external one nonetheless. Still won't turn over.

I'm beginning to get very frustrated & running out of ideas so would welcome any suggestions!?

Headlights are bright so clearly not a battery issue.

I wouldn't rely on that as a test.

What's the battery voltage at rest and as you try to crank?

I then set about checking the wiring & earth but nothing obviously wrong.

Did that involve disconnecting and cleaning the contacts?

Jonathan

Have you tried checkec wires at alternator and starter motor,  It's very exposed down there, to water, I bought a proper plug to protect the wires (on my alternator there was a clip to hold the plug in place, but car came with no plug.)

its perhaps worth a check, only because you mentioned washing the car before tucking away.

"Our chief weapon is a multimeter... a multimeter and some croc clips.. some croc clips and a multimeter.... Our two weapons are a multimeter and some croc clips...and a wiring diagram.... Our *three* weapons are a multimeter, some croc clips, a wiring diagram...and an almost fanatical devotion to BlatChat.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as a multimeter and some croc clips.... I'll come in again."

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Finally solved the problem *clap*

Thanks for all the advice. After bump starting the car it started fine but wouldn't turn over on the starter so I stripped down the MFU & all the relay contacts were pristine so deduced it had to be a doggy starter. Replaced with a new Brise one which is adjustable so you can position the solenoid well away from the exhaust primaries & it started first time!

When I tested the old starter off the car the solenoid did not reliably fire the pinion forward & the starter motor would not spin so I suspect it's succumbed to water ingress.

• 2 weeks later...

Put an electric fan heater under the car, its probably the dampness, considering you state that you washed the car before storing in the garage.  I have a K-Series, went to start it the other day and nothing!  Fan heater for 2 hours under the cover, made it all toasty snug and warm and it started on the button first go!

• Leadership Team

"Put an electric fan heater under the car, its probably the dampness, considering you state that you washed the car before storing in the garage.  I have a K-Series, went to start it the other day and nothing!  Fan heater for 2 hours under the cover, made it all toasty snug and warm and it started on the button first go!"

Seriously? If my car was that unreliable I'd either fix it or swap it!

Stu.