Click here if you are having website access problems ×

3rd high level brake light

Speedtrip

I fitted a Car Builder Solutions LED High Level Light without affecting any of the existing fixtures.  Admittedly it is not up there on the Roll Bar but it is the same height you find on an Audi TT or MX5.  Using the adaptor loom to connect in to the existing wiring the routing is very easy, up thru the fuel tank filler and around the chassis frame to route up around the top tube and under the boot cover to the Light mounting tee piece.  Still allows Tonneau Cover to be used and is below the area obscured by a Half Hood.  Dead easy to do and one of the cheapest options.IMG_0552.thumb.JPG.b7653fcc51fba61df80332e107e848e3.JPGIMG_0549.thumb.JPG.bb65c1c77bc3a100a29d98eeac3eed51.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following advice from others, I'm also looking at a high-level brake light, however, I was wondering whether to upgrade to the JAL LED taillights first.  In an ideal world I'd do both, but don't particularly want to spend spend spend on the 7. 

My logic is that JAL taillights are supposed to be significantly brighter than standard items, and thus will grab the attention of the driver behind regardless of location.  I also wonder whether the driver behind the immediate car would see a highlevel brake light on a 7, which is one of the principal benefits of the high-level brake light.

Just a thought...

"and thus will grab the attention of the driver behind regardless of location." ..... unfortunately not if they are driving a tall SUV or truck ... and your low tail lights are hidden by the front of their vehicle as they are driving too close !!

>>"My logic is that JAL taillights are supposed to be significantly brighter than standard items"

No supposed about it, they much brighter and so are the indicators.  Doug used to have a video on his JAL website, which I can't find now, however, when I met him at Donington 60th at start of the run to the Lancaster bomber, he was parked in front of  me with brake lights on and the 7 on the left had just reversed up and braked.  Just compare the two.

JAL.jpg.b20359409094b73c66c4a10857756bbb.jpg

I can't comment on trucks tailgating you, given the hight of the cabs I doubt if they would see the roll bar if they are that close ... you could always attach a led rear cycle light to a selfie stick for those guys *biglaugh*

• Leadership Team

The JAL conversion is much brighter (I have them fitted) but they're nothing like as "in your face" as the Hella high level light mounted on the rollbar, go for both! I used a Caterham supplied loom on my 1999 car which I'm sure just fitted in at the o/s light unit connecting plug without making any mods.

Tom ... use a length of helicopter tape to secure the wire on the underside of the rearward stay, you'll not even notice it.

Stu.

My logic for motorway miles in the Exige has always been to be in the outermost lane driving a quickly as I can (within reason here) without tailgating myself.  I find this reduces the amount of interaction with larger commercial vehicles.  I appreciate that doesn't always work.

I do understand and accept the view though, and it's something I'm concerned about as we'd like to attend the Taffia fishnchip run this year, which means driving down the M6 from Lancaster beforehand. I also need to get the 7 from Lancaster to Oakmere too.  So that's more M6 driving.

Collidog, With regards the routing of the wire, was there enough cable length to connect it up, or did you need to extend the wires? I'm assuming you plugged it into the existing loom.

• 8 months later...
  • Area Representative

Recently fitted Car Builder Solutions rain light (93mm x103mm -  56 red LEDs) mounted to roll over bar diagonal with P clip. The pitch of the threaded studs allows vertical fitment over the diagonal join.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/rectangular-high-intensity-led-rain-light-93mm-x-103mm

I utilised some high density small diameter gloss black fuel proof plastic tube as a cable conduit attaching it to the lower offside cruciform with upvc double sticky tape & weather proofing edges with No Nonsense builders black silicone! 

Very bright. It does not greatly inhibit rearward view due to its size & will not be obstructed by half hood.

Just be aware that if you mount the light under the top roll bar hoop, it just may be obscured if you have a hood or half hood fitted. Or if mounted too low might be covered by an E bag. I went for a 'Rain Light' mounted on the 'X' & just live with some poor reward vision, but at least it really can be seen!  

• 1 year later...

I think extra indicators are illegal and there is legislation that says how far in from the outside of the vehicle (not far) and how far apart ( not far), so the unit mounted in the middle isn't legal.

(It's 12 years since I dealt with automotive electrical regulations so I can't remember specific details!)

It's probably fine for motorcycle regulations.