Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Don't leave home without it

BigCol

As a newbie to 7ing, I'd be interested to know what more-experienced people keep in their cars and what you'd recommend I should, be they for convenience, comfort, emergencies or whatever.

eg half hood, tunnel bag, mobile phone holder, simple tool kit (what exactly?), ear plugs, tyre weld, cable ties, duct tape, AA membership card etc...

I recently scraped the exhaust on a speed bump and broke the exhaust bobbin, after much head scratching I remembered reading that Radiator bobbins ( there are 4) are the same as the exhaust bobbin, so as a get me home , I nicked one *thumbup* .Elasticated tow rope, cell phone ,tyre weld( no spare)and multi tool are all I carry , I have lots of mates I have got out the **** in the past so rely on a good mobile phone signal to call in the recovery mob should anything else break. Throttle cable and clutch cable are probably a good idea tho as spares so I hear, but are they that prone to breaking? *confused*

Well, I cut my motoring (and motorcycling) teeth in the 60s. In those days, you carried every conceivable get-you-home tool and spare. It's a habit that's hard to break, so I carry (especially when abroad):

Half-hood

Car cover

Earplugs

Full toolkit

Towrope

Footpump

5L petrol

Throttle cable

Exhaust bobbin

Exhaust clamp

Jump leads

Various hoses

Ty-wraps

Jack (I carry a spare wheel too)

Coil-on-plug

Spark plug

Assorted connectors and crimping tool

Gas soldering iron

Solder, flux

Assorted wire

Assorted nuts, bolts, washers (stuff left over from two builds)

TPS

Insulating tape

Jubilee clips (various)

Top-up oil

Top-up coolant

You may think this slightly OTT, but it reassures me! And, happily, an R400 has the poke to cope!

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 1 Sep 2013 17:31:17

C'me on.

To save weight I don't even have a boot floor in mine.

Earplugs, earplugs, earplugs, cellphone, driving licence, VISA card and a little cash will do. That's a total of around 130 grammes. Including the phone that is.

Just keep the car in good shape - and fit for fight.

When I go to a trackday it's a little different.

Quoting RJ: 
C'me on.

To save weight I don't even have a boot floor in mine.

Earplugs, earplugs, earplugs, cellphone, driving licence, VISA card and a little cash will do. That's a total of around 130 grammes. Including the phone that is.

Just keep the car in good shape - and fit for fight.

When I go to a trackday it's a little different.

That's the way to do it RJ *thumbup*

Maybe my Birkin is just more reliable than a Caterham 😬 😬

Chris.

*arrowup*

A clutch cable and throttle cable weigh f##k all, and having had the pleasure of both letting go, you'd be an 🙆🏻 not to carry them! Still, no doubt when yours fail, we won't hear about it, will we!

Edited by - ozzy on 31 Aug 2013 20:59:17

I have a clutch cable and throttle cable as those are Caterham specific parts and the AA man will certainly not be able to get one of those. Everything else repairable is likely to be available.

For long trips I will also be carrying some chemical metal as well. Having put a hole in the sump in the south of France a quick bodge would have been somewhat faster than finding an aluminium welder was.

I'm with RJ! Fully charged mobile and a key fob bearing the name of my recovery company! 😬

(Alright, before the antiquated stormin norman clan have a go for being irresponsible, I actually carry a wee box of stuff for niff naff and triv repairs!)

A few sockets

An interchangeable screwdriver set

A roll of speed tape

A roll of insulating tape

Locking wire

Snips/ long nose pliers

A box of nuts, bolts and washers, grommets and 'o' rings!

Cyalume

Head torch

Massive clutch of tie-wraps!

Sorts most issues! *wavey*

OK,

My car is a K-series. But hey, I thought someone said it was fragile?

I have a hydraulic clutch, so the clutch cable won't break. The throttle cable can be replaced with a bike hand brake ditto and an electrical connector thingy (sorry, don't know the english word - one of these used for connecting wires with a a little screw in). No distributor, hence no need for a cap.

In fact the throttle cable, a lost oil drain plug and a puncture is what I've experienced on the road in some ten years.

Thanks all...

The query arose after my first post-run-in journey to Silverstone ahead of the F1 factory tour was briefly curtailed after my throttle pedal fell off on the A43. I was able to refit it and (literally) get it hand-tight so I could continue. When I recounted this incident later in the day, one commented with abject astonishment "you drive a 7 and don't carry any tools?" 😳

Whilst I don't want any excess weight (or to rob any already limited luggage space), I do feel a bit vulnerable and it seems sensible to have the necessary to be able to tackle simple fixes.

... and here's the usual reminder about where to store all of this.

Jonathan

Don't worry, I'm already on the list for some from the next batch, Jonathan!

As a slight aside, which roadside assistance organisations are felt to offer the best service/value?

Quoting BigCol: 
As a slight aside, which roadside assistance organisations are felt to offer the best service/value?
Which? have just reviewed this, September 2013. It's complex because you get different answers depending on what matters: low cost, fraction of repair at the roadside or waiting time. Sample sizes 35 to 3,026 per provider. They've also included carmakers' branded schemes.

Current best overall:

AA 73%

Saga Breakdown 72%

Discussed:

Here and here and here.

;-)

The ADAC option still looks interesting.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 1 Sep 2013 10:25:00

They do break......I just had my clutch cable go yesterday, only 5 miles from home...and you guessed it travelling without tools. So I called the wife to bring out appropriate tools and pop into Caterham Midlands on the way, also very cloe, to get a clutch cable. You guessed it, not one clutch cable for a S3 RHD K series car available say the guys on duty on Saturday afternoon. So RAC it was, they were excellent. Arrived in 30 mins and with a clutch cable mending kit with replacement cable fed through old outer and grub screw nipple on the end all done in 15 minutes! So tool roll and some basic tools on my shopping list, plus a new clutch cable and I'll keep the RAC rigged up one as my new spare.

Quoting BenF: 
In addition to the above (good) recommendations, I would just add a spare brake light switch. They can be cleaned and made serviceable roadside if they get iffy, but it's a pain so having a spare for a straight swap is good.

And you of course notice that the brake lights have failed *confused*

I usually check before I go out, but not whilst I am out *redface*

And even with extra brake light Wayne will be dangerous as he does not realise how late you can brake in a Seven. I have been very close to being caught out in a roundabout, and only because the driver in front of be was awake and managed to pull away I escaped.

That said, my brake light switch has never failed, and is one of the few parts of my car that's 18 years old and has not been refurbished.