Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Soldering

glasgow

trying to solder some wiring crimp terminals... No luck, the solder keep forming small "globules"... Doing all the basic of heating the iron, keep the tip clean but not working. ☹️ is it my skills or the solder I (Sn 99.3%, Cu 0.7%) is not the right one for the job I am doing... 🤔

Thank you in advance

Ahmed

Sounds like its not all at the same temp. Heat the cable and then add solder so it melts in to the cable. This 'tins' the cable ready. Do same for crimp. Then heat crimp, add cable so they all melt together.

If they are crimp terminals, they shouldn't need soldering at all, as they are designed to 'crimp' on to the wire.

The reason it may not be working is that the item you are soldering needs to be hot enough to melt the solder, you shouldn't be applying molten solder as if it were glue. This can be caused by using an iron that is too low power, so it doesn't heat the item up fast enough. Low power irons are fine for circuit board components, but not so good with larger diameter cables found on cars. It is still possible to use a low power iron, but because you have to apply the heat to the affected area for longer, you will also transfer a lot of heat down the wire etc. This is bad, because the solder will flow down the wire and a soldered wire becomes brittle and may crack under vibration. This is why crimps and not solder are normally used.

Edited by - keybaud on 1 Jun 2013 12:11:48

Thank you all for the detailed reply... I think the iron doesn't heat the area enough, (despite it is 40W).... I am trying to apply solder after i crimped the terminal... I always just crimp the terminal with no soldering, however, after i saw this video at Car Builder solution website, I thought I would better add solder on top of the crimp... the link is below, see at minute 3

thanks

Are you using a tinning compound to clean and tin the tip of the iron? You could also consider using a tiny smear of flux on the wire itself to help the molten solder flow and adhere. Alternatively, you could use a solder with a flux (resin) core.

(Personally, I wouldn't bother to solder a crimped joint, provided it's made using the correct crimping tool.)

JV

Just checked the proportion... Yes, the ratio i quoted is right, it is lead free...

Not using flux and not using tinning compound.... some crimps were aluminium and others were brass

Also, embarrassed to say i am not using the correct crimping tool, just a narrow tip pliers 😳

Anyway, I will just do without the solder this time (as i have always done), Thanks anyway to everybody

Edited by - Glasgow on 1 Jun 2013 14:30:52

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Treat yourself to a crimping tool. £5.99 at Halfords before discount, £4.99 at Screwfix. Because you're worth it.

:-)

Jonathan

Agree with that. But be aware that not all crimping tools are the same. For example, if the crimps/connectors in question are Econoseal, you'll need this.

JV

Quoting John Vine: 
But be aware that not all crimping tools are the same.

That is the problem... I have this one http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5349/8912828943_ba4e3d2356_c.jpg which is useless and ended up just using it as a wire stripper and use pliers for crimping

• Area Representative

Quoting Glasgow: 

That is the problem... I have this one http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5349/8912828943_ba4e3d2356_c.jpg which is useless and ended up just using it as a wire stripper and use pliers for crimping

That's because that crimping tool is for insulated lugs.

Well, that one should work OK for insulated terminals like these (where all you have to do is crush the connector onto the wire. But if you're trying to crimp terminals like these (which require the tabs to be folded over and squeezed back into the wire), you'll need a tool with specially shaped jaws.

What type of terminal are you trying to crimp?

JV

Quoting jackb_ms: 
Some of you will be horrified, however I've used a blow torch to heat a crimp and then the cable and solder the 2 together.

Worked a treat.

It was for jump leads so cable was very big

Jack

Personally, the last thing I'd want to do to jump leads is solder them.