Click here if you are having website access problems ×

15 wheels

Steve B

The smaller wheels being lighter react quicker to surface imperfections too, so the suspension has an easier job of keeping the tyres in contact with the road. Always a good thing.

Acceleration is improved slightly I believe, to the detriment of top speed.

• Area Representative

Quoting Bradders: 
Acceleration is improved slightly I believe, to the detriment of top speed.

That's not entirely true. 195/45-15 are pretty much the same diameter ast 185/60-13's, so the gearing will remain very close.

For standard road tyres, there is much greater choice in 195/45-15 than there is 185/60-13's these days.

I ran for several seasons of sprints and hillclimbs on £30 Stunner Scudo's in 195/45-15. They were a great alround tyre.

More road feeling with the 13". The car is nimbler.

A club member told be : the right place for them are on the garage shelves... and when you will try the 13" you will never fit the 15".

I remember it makes me laugh, but one day I bought a set with yoko for the track...

I sold the 15" 8 years ago ... to clear the shelves *smile*

The 15" creates some bearing problems when used on the track.

Since I bought a second 13" set with Bridgestone RE720 for the road.

Best thing is to borrow a set to a friend. You cannot imagine the difference.

Just bought a set of second hand 13" wheels - have not had them on my car yet, but I currently have 15" rims with CR500's on my 2010 Sigma Roadsport. You are welcome to visit and try them out if it is convenient for you - I am in Wimbledon. Garth

Quoting Richard Price: 
195/45-15 are pretty much the same diameter ast 185/60-13's, so the gearing will remain very close.
As far as CR500s are concerned, the 175/55-13 has a rolling diameter about 3.8% less than the 195/45-15, and the 205/55-13 about 0.5% more (from Caerbont's speedo-calibration guide).

JV

Several class 1 & 2 speed championship competitors indeed switched to 15" wheels to use certain List 1A tyres (Scudo Stunners). These specific tyres are no longer available and have been removed from List 1A.

There may be some minor changes to the rules on wheels/tyres to be announced quite soon. If you are thinking of entering class 1 or 2 I'd hold off making your wheel/tyre selections for just a short while until the rules for 2013 are published by the Comp Sec.

AB