Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 Point Harness

Eugene

I'm looking for a new set of 4 point harnesses...

After 3" shoulder and lap, but with the lap belts 'pulling' from the mount ends, rather from the centre buckle.

Most of the harness I can find pull the other way.

What help can the POBC be???

*confused*

Schroth from DT, for Caterham, spot on, pull the correct way ;)

Edit - oops, re read your post and saw you wanted 3" shoulder straps... Schroth's are 4" sorry... Personally I prefer the larger strap to spread the load ;)

Edited by - Neil66 on 12 Aug 2012 21:25:57

• Area Representative

Steve

I find the Caterham supplied belts too stiff in their operation.

The problem with a lot of belts with "pull up to tighten" is that the buckle often fouls the seat and it is therefore difficult to slacken. May not be a problem to you if you still have a bench seat.

Scroth do seem to be pretty good as recommended above and they do have 3 inch shoulder straps.

In my car I have Sabelt and they're pretty good, although for reasons described above I opted for the adjustment at the buckle which for road use works fine. However, I did find Sabelt very helpful and if you speak to them they will supply to your spec. Have a look at their website *thumbup*

I do still have bench seats - love them as I have re-padded them to be the perfect shape for me 😬

But, this makes 6 point rather awkward... and not really ideal for road use anyway IMHO.

Will check on the various suggestions!

😬 😬 😬

• 4 weeks later...

Went with a set of Titan Harnesses from Carl at Seven Speed.

Have to say very, very happy with them 😬

And half the price of the nearest alternatives *eek*

They pull from the 'floor' too!

Will post some piccys when I get a chance.

I did get a 6 point for the driver's side as they were so cheap. Just need to work out how to use the crotch strap with bench seats *confused*

• Area Representative

I bought Titon.

They give you all of the options: different widths for shoulder and waist, pull up or pull down, buckle attached to strap of your preference. Probablly colour as well. They are based in Bournemouth, I think. Rapid in their response too.

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
As GJT.

Titon offered to make them the way I wanted, weren't expensive and were very good to deal with.

The spacers they supplied didn't have quite enough shoulder: see previous thread, and does anyone want to buy some of the ones I had made?

Jonathan

Jonathan, are these essential or simply an improvement ? Depending on the answer I may want some please, as shortly changing to Titan.

Quoting Barry: 
Quoting Eugene: 
Just need to work out how to use the crotch strap with bench seats *confused*

What's the layout of the crotch strap(s)? I laid mine over the seat squab, so that I sat on them.

Barry, Did you use the same mounts as for the lap straps?

*confused*

Oh, and I seriously recommend going through Carl at seven Speed!

We had a bit of a cock-up on postage - Titan's fault - and Carl handled it great!

Took the stress out of it for me, and the price was the same as going direct.

And it's great to support the club members trying to support us!!!

😬 😬 😬

I'm surprised that the spacers are now binding again on the Titan harness.

When I first started selling these they were fine. They then had a batch that were no good and I pointed this out to Mark and Tessa who run the business and they immediately had a revised batch made. They were not sure why it had happened but it looks like its happening again unless you guys bought them about one year ago.

Quoting Eugene: 
Barry, Did you use the same mounts as for the lap straps?

*confused*

Silly me! No, as mine has adjustable seats, I used the rear seat-mounting tabs. However, I can't see why you couldn't use the lap mouting points if there's enough room. The crotch strap is there mainly to hold the other belts in place (as well as preventing submarining) so they shouldn't be putting more forces through the mounting-points than they should be able to cope with.

• Area Representative

Quoting kenny.: 
Someone foolishly linked to a pic on here of a Gonad after it had come into contact with a crotch strap *mad*

I now tuck mine under the seat and leave them there *smile*

Kenny,

There is two ways of looking at the benefit, or otherwise of crotch straps.

I suffered a pretty heavy impact a couple of months ago. My 6 point harness' were TIGHT, but I still moved around in the car more than you may think.

I did suffer pretty uncomfortable bruising from the crutch strap area *eek*

However. If I had not been wearing a crutch strap, then it's VERY likely that I would have traveled further forwards, the lap strap would have ridden above my pelvis, and I would have suffered much more damaging internal injuries

My bruised goolies were uncomfortable, but not life threatening.

When my car is drivable again, will I use a 6 point harness?

Absolutely

Here's a question...

The crotch strap is a 'moustache' type, with a wide spacer buckle.

Do people generally run the straps directly to their obvious side mount points, or 'cross' the straps over?

Just wondering?

I tried both, and have left them in the 'obvious' installation mode.

*confused*