Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I have never claimed to be the brightest...

gundersen

but this has got to take the cake *redface*

I was feeling frisky today, so I decided to change the gearbox oil (last fluid I had left to change after buying the car). Initially I read op on Alcester Racing's excelent intro (thank you guys, your maintenance section is pure gold! *wavey*) and went to work.

First I tried to fit the 10mm hex head from my socket set...no avail, then I tried to fit my 10mm allen key...no avail. It seems that my gearbox drain hole is perfectly aligned with the passenger foot well side bar *mad*

So, I cut up my allen key so that it would fit...but still to no avail. I just couldn't get the key into the hole (no fallacies please *smile*).

After a bit of cursing and trying to muscle the thing in... *idea* I noticed that there was what appeared to be a 17mm nut welded onto the drain plug. So on with the spanner and off came the plug...now did I feel stupid for cutting up my allen key *redface*

The moral of the story...somebody smarter than you might have been where you are going, so look for clues before you brute force you way through 😬

Quoting sforshaw: 
850 Mini ...... cylinder head swap in a hurry ..... forgot to put the coolant back 😳

Stu.

Erhm

Been there with a diff - no oil causes a VERY noisy diff after a while *redface*

Forgot to fasten the fasteners on the nose. It fell off when I put the brakes on after I rolled it out the garage. *redface*

Another one was after Id done an oil change on my old Astra (RIP) (Opel Kadett for Gunderson *wink*) and forgot to put the oil cap back on. A plume of white smoke through the Mersey tunnel forced me to stop in the tunnel. The cap was wedged between the engine and bonnet and oil had been splashing over the engine and smoking somewhat. I replaced the cap and continued my commute. *redface*

Not that I need to put myself out there anymore than I have already done, but I also got a Kadett in times past. One time when it had electrical "issues" I decided to give all the electrical parts a turn with some silicon spray...so I sprayed the ignition cables...I sprayed the outside of the alternator...then, in my infinite wisdom, I decided that inside must be twice as good as outside, so I gave the inside of the alternator a good spray of silicon. Didn't work out too well 😬

At least I am not alone *big ol' softy group hug* *smile*

Quoting Supersprint1988: 
See you down south tuesday Bo, hopefully it will stay dry.
Dry would be nice, hope you get that rod end fixed *fingers crossed*

decided to drill my floor to fit my fire extinguisher. after the fist drill, i noticed a strange air leak sound. then i remebered my wheel were stocked under the car.... cr 500 were of course brand new...

Fitting brand new silicon hoses to Zetec conversion. Cutting to length is required. So very carefully measured the first one twice and put it down to measure the second one. Somehow I contrived to pick up the first hose again and measured very carefully twice but, of course, with the measurements for the second hose. Satisfied that I was applying the 'measure twice cut once' rule I proceeded to cut the first hose with the shorter measurement for the second hose! Hoses were not interchangeable. *redface*

One hose joiner and 2 jubilee clips later, all was well..... *rolleyes*