Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repairing a pinhole in fuel tank - UPDATED, repair has now failed

z7

• Area Representative

I have a pinhole in my fuel tank. Any recommendations for fixing it, please? Is it possible to repair it in situ? I've found some epoxies that look suitable: here, and I've seen mention JB Weld on some marine forums. Anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks

z7

Edited by - z7 on 2 Aug 2012 19:06:38

For the sake of draining the tank, safely evaporating all fumes, having it properly fixed what you're suggesting is a (with all respect) a poor substitute and at best a kludge and will probably create a bigger failure in the future.

I know a Se7ener who went the path you're suggesting. He had his car recovered from Milan because the sealant slowly dissolved over a period of time, mucked up his fuel pump, fuel lines, etc.

I am not attempting to point out anything but the reality.....your call.....I'd have the tank out personally....

Depending on where abouts it is and if you're patient, try this. You'll need a soft metal washer/gasket (sump plug gasket) with say Ø8 mm id and a M8 screw and nut. size isn't too important. remove and drain the tank. Drill out the pinhole to Ø8 mm, pass your screw through it with the washer and tighten the nut. *smile* A blob of petrol resistant sealant helps. The fiddly bit is get the screw through the hole. You need small hands and bones of rubber. Of course if the pinhole is in the corner then you're shafted. *eek*

• Area Representative

Thanks all for your replies. *thumbup* Just what I was atfer.

Steve, I had considered the points you raised hence the post. Though, these expoxy solutions exist, so I presume they work and are suitable.

Of the tank out and repair route, as far as I know, there are options on the repair too: weld (or the ali equivalent) or pour in a solution which coats the inside and seals when set. Does anyone have any exprience of these?

I also rang a local ali fuel tank mfr who gave a price of £150 to repair!

Any more thoughts welcome.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hi z7 where is the leak is it about 4"to 5" from the left hand of the tank,as if it is I had a leak in same place and it was the weld on the baffle inside the tank had pulled through the the lower outer skin so I repaired it with Thiocol Aircraft fuel tank sealant and about 6 months later I got another leak where the Baffle pulled through the front face of the Tank *cry* so I took the tank out and got it tig welded on all the face's for about 2" long through the outter skin into the Baffle flang, as they only tack weld the left hand baffle in place they don't do a proper weld *confused* so it pulls through after a bit *mad* Regards Paul

• Area Representative

Hi Paul, thanks for the info. *thumbup* From memory it was more like 12-18" from the right hand end of the tank, looking up from underneath. I'll have another look with you info in mind. Thanks.

z7

• 4 months later...
  • Area Representative

My repair has now failed. The JB Weld has become softened, presumably by the petrol, and cracked and it's easy to pick pieces of it off.

Given all the positive experiences posted above; and JB Weld specifically states suitability for fuel tanks, does anyone have any ideas why it has failed? What have I done wrong? I cleaned up the area and applied JBW directly to the tank and over the hole. Perhaps I should have used a patch of something over the hole first and then applied JBW?

z7

On second thoughts the most dangerous dangerous part is the driver,usually fueled on testosterone....

But that said why bodge a repair on a fuel tank *confused* And yes no doubt ethanol in modern fuels will not help the integrity of said bodge.

Think the unthinkable, you have a rear end bump and mr insurance assessor discovers said bodge, do you think that will be condusive to an agreeable settlement with a burnt out car and you in hospital with burns?

All for the sake of doing the job properly...

• Leadership Team

I did this a couple of years ago ..... just get it welded! Take the tank out, give it a good wash out with water and some washing-up liquid, then get a professional to repair it.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Thanks all for the replies. Much appreciated. *thumbup* My first thought when I saw the failed repair was to tank out and repair or replace.

A few q's re repair:

What should I be looking for from a repairer?

Is TIG welding the only option - should I run if something else is suggested?

What would I need to do to prepare the tank for repair - washing out is mentioned? WIll I need to remove all ancillaries?

thanks again

z7

I did this earlier in the year - tank out; pump & sender off; pour residual fuel into a can;leave in sun outside for a couple of days to evaporate residual fuel; hose pipe & washing liquid a couple of times; rinse; leave in sun to dry; local welder on scruffy industrial estate; £20 to fix the crack on the breather/ reweld.

All in, to took a couple of weeks to get it all done including refit.

Quoting TomB: 
I did this earlier in the year - tank out; pump & sender off; pour residual fuel into a can;leave in sun outside for a couple of days to evaporate residual fuel; hose pipe & washing liquid a couple of times; rinse; leave in sun to dry; local welder on scruffy industrial estate; £20 to fix the crack on the breather/ reweld.

All in, to took a couple of weeks to get it all done including refit.

Better than this is to empty it, then shove the inlet over an exhaust pipe of a car. This will remove all explosive gasses in the tank. (I don't guarantee this though, in case you blow your welders head off.)

• Area Representative

Thanks, again for all the replies.

Paul, fair point. If anyone can recommend a repairer in SE London or thereabouts. WIlling to travel but with my 7 being my only car, it may be a little tricky. *wink*