Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High level brake light

TomB

What is the collectives latest thoughts on good LED brake light strips to mount on a S3 roll bar? Ive had a look in the archives, but some of the post recommending particular units are a couple of years old now.

Car Builder Solutions have 48 LED unit here and also this one here

Is bigger / more LED always better, or can they be too big?

Am I best getting the Caterham loom to connect it in, or as my car is older and doesnt have multiplug wiring connections (lots of spade connectors), it not required?

Whilst I have the car tank and boot floor out, I think its probably worth me fitting one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went in there a few weeks ago, they recommended this one here which I bought. Looks great quality and I fitted with some velcro an a couple of cable ties (just in case!).

Will be wiring up mine using the sub-loom once I get 5 minutes...

Simon

(Edited to fix link)

Edited by - makingff on 14 Feb 2012 13:28:04

I have one of these on my car. It's fixed to the roll bar using cable ties but the body of the light is carefully drilled on the back so that you cannot see the ties. It's very effective and looks like it was meant to be, if not the cheapest option.

I went for one in the middle (slightly modified from 7speed) so that it wouldn't be affected by the half hood

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t75/johnv_photos/IMG_0056.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t75/johnv_photos/IMG_0055.jpg

Quoting TomB: 
Im going to try RTV silicone with cable ties while it sets and splice the bare cables into the power and earth cable for the brake light. Im almost certain to make a pigs ear of it and wire it into the indicators! 😳
You don't need to splice into an earth cable - just find somewhere convenient to earth it.

• 3 weeks later...