Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seat Widths...

RS2000

I know I can probably look up the general widths of the standard leather seats compared the tillets, but in the real world, how do they compare for actually sitting in - which gives the greatest latitude for what we might call the bigger built passenger....?

Don't make your mind up until you have sat in both options. For what its worth, a few of my family members have big chassis, and they all fit in the Tillets (I must say, I was waiting to hear a crunch).

Pre S-Types are the comfiest, but no sideways support, so no good on track.

S-Types give good sideways support, but give me numb-bum and a sore back

Tillets give amazing support and are reputed to be extremely comfortable (I haven't had a long enough sit while driving...unless a hour in the garage pretending I was driving counts).

For what its worth, it seems people that complain about S-Types being uncomfortable are short and people that complain about Tillets are lanky (I'm short - 5ft 10in).

Willie

Just to throw a little more confusion into it - I am only 5'4" and a bit 'stocky' - I find leather S Types perfect but Tillets really uncomfortable - they seem to force my shoulders forward a bit.

As said already - sit in the different options before deciding.

I'm 6'3" ish and have tilletts in an S3. They are supremely comfortable 😬 Best money I ever spent.

Oh and did anyone mention the weight? *tongue* They have to be about a third of a leather seat, if not less!!! 😬

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah aka Feargal: '08 1.6K Classic (Imitating an imitation 7!)

thanks for all the advice, personally I'm 5'8" and medium build so don't think I'll have any problem, but 'other family members' are (ssshhhhh, not too loud) a bit wider in the hips, so was just trying to get an idea of which would be better initially to look at... Cheers

• Area Representative
If the budget allows and you want a little more space over the black GRP tillet, try the carbon kevlar ones as the sides very slightly flex a little more and this makes then even more comfortable than the GRP ones *biggrin*

If you get the chance, try the B2 Tilletts that are an option on the CSR and SV cars (too wide for S3s I think). I have my first Seven on order and really wanted the B2s as I am also too big for standard Tilletts. They are a £1200 upgrade though *eek* so am hoping to see some second hand ones at some point. Dimensions on the Tillett web site.

Cheers,

Martin

• 1 year later...

I considered the same point recently when looking at options and decided that If SWMBO is built for comfort, rather than speed, leather seats are a kinder option.

There is of course the argument that tillets might deter her from ever getting in the car, as in;

'I'm not getting in that car, it's uncomfortable, go on your own'

At this point you put on your best sympathetic expression;

' Oh, Ok dear, as long as you're sure'

Being extremely careful not to let her see what you're really thinking:

YESSS, RESULT *cool* 😬 😬 😬

Mark.

I'll vote for the Tilletts (if you fit).

I am 5' 10", and in last August I completed a 25-day, 6150-mile trip in my S3 with Tilletts. That's a lot of sitting. They were very comfortable, even for long distances.

The only mods I made were the installation of the Oxted Trimming quilted leather seat insert, and an adjustable aftermarket (Demon Tweeks) lumbar pad velcro'd in the right place, to support the small of the back.

Alaskossie

Had tillets in my last Caterham-comfortable but cold. Have leather seats in my current Caterham better compromise for track/road-I was going to change the seats to tillets but have decided not to. 5 hour trip from Scotland-very comfortable. I am 5'10"

snap! 6ft 5 and 38" waist and no hope of getting into Tillets. Actually there is no off the shelf "race shell" type seat that I can fit into.

Main issue with me is the width of the hips... no matter how much weight I lose I cant shrink the hip bones! *redface*

S3 chassis with leather seats is REALLY tight... between the tunnel and the side rails is a real squeeze and would be uncomfy after 5 minutes but I can fit. Cant operate the pedals tho!

My SV with leather seats is a comfy fit... got about 1/2" of free space either side of my ar$e/hips/legs so I cant move about much even tho i dont have race seats.

Lowered floor going in soon, followed by an epoxy/foam bead seat to get even lower as currently my eye line is level with the top of the doors and rear view mirror so visability is dire!

Mike

Bit surprised when I saw this thread, as I'd started it back in Agust 2009!!

Since then - April 2010, bought myself a 7 with Tillets! SWMBO doesn't quite fit... ooops *redface* Been watching the adverts for a 'cheap' leather or cloth seat and if the right one comes along I may switch the passenger tillet over (or I might not... 😬 )

Can I recommend the cloth over the leather? I've had both and whilst both are very comfortable to sit in, the cloth version has the advantage of being warm in winter and cool in summer, as opposed to freezing cold and hot and sticky. And if you are just a bit too small for the seat, you don't slide around in the cloth seat.

It is not that impractical by comparison with leather, either - you just try harder to keep it dry!

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

• Area Representative

Love the Caterham Tillet seat. *thumbup* Fit with a little space all round (so I can gat the tail of the seat belt from under the 🙆🏻).

The cloth S type was looking rather tatty after 60,000 or so miles, but I may get it reconditioned by Oxted. I have leather S-types in the 21; I prefered the cloth covering (you feel more secure as the leather allows for more lateral movement.

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

I PX-ed my composite Tillets for some Kevlar ones and I find them even more comfortable. The sides flex slightly giving a more relaxed fit (in a CSR anyway).

I can also smugly eat all the mince pies because of the weight I have saved.