Click here if you are having website access problems Γ—

Price for an exhaust system?

RiF

How much should I be looking at for a custom made complete exhaust system??

Β 

Manifold to tail pipe required, nothing to copy *wink* Price I have been quoted seems rather high *confused*

Β 

Plans afoot for new 7 project 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Β 

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

would that be for a system already jigged up ? its not the material you are paying for but the developement of the correct sizes/lengths, i guess a system can be made to fit and function for a much lower price but may not give what you want.

Β 

Kevin R

Β 

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

Good fabrications in Thame.You will be looking at about Β£750 for the primaries. It would be worth giving Phil a call on 01844 202850.

Β 

This post comes with a warning: there work is fantastic, the quality is as good as you can get and they normaly do work with F1, NASCAR, WRC ect.

Β 

not cheap but one of the best.

Β 

Β 

David

I paid Β£600 with Graham Exhaust By Design for equal length primaries, collector with a rebuilt techcraft silencer to suit the new bore, then when I wanted a quiter silencer it was a further Β£300, all stainless.

Β 

Edited to add this was all bespoke to the car whch I left with him.

Β 

Edited by - JaseB on 5 Feb 2009 08:46:16

Through a quite bizzare sequence of supplier chats, your name cropped up Richard. I now think I have an idea what this might be for.. *wink*

Β 

Edited to add: Good Fabrications was my recommendation by reputation (I couldn't remember the name until David mentioned it) their stuff looks fantastic

Β 

Darren E

Β 

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Β 

Home of the long-term, supercharged Duratec project *biggrin*

Β 

Edited by - k80rum on 5 Feb 2009 11:10:10

another *thumbup* for Dave from Powerspeed - he had no probs developing a bespoke system for me (well actually just a small variation on his normal Caterham k system) just left the car with him for a week and the system was built and fitted in 7 days.

Β 

He also had a Delorien there that was having a bespoke system fitted, plus a 996 Carrera having a de-cat system built... and I know he's developed the odd Ferrari system as well.....He seemed a true expert at all things exhaust.

Β 

C7 DVA - It's a 1.6 187bhp screamer!!!here

Many thanks for all your replies. It would need to be bespoke if my plan goes ahead *wink* Keep quiet Darren, top secret info you have gained 😬

Thanks for the links and recommendations. I will investigate further. The price I was given was very high but I might get what I pay for *confused* and don't want to loose power from my planned engine *wink* do I?

Is titanium a lot dearer? Are there different specs for the primaries, I mean in regards to materials available? What are the pit falls I should look out for? Anything I should request from these companies that I may not know about. I am a total beginner in exhaust systems!

Β 

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

These guys do some lovely work-www.christullettexhausts.com

Β 

Including the exhaust systems for the Radical / Powertec engines. I was quite taken with the exquisite quality of the exhaust fitted to the Powertec V8 on display at Autosport *wink* *thumbup*

Richard

Β 

I needed a bespoke exhaust making for my Busa Seven last year. After much research and deliberation I actually for once went against Blatchats advice and used Simpson Race Exhausts. There were a few stories where people did not get the exhaust they wanted from Simpson Exhausts but I have say what Matt at Simpson made for me is one of the best, if not the best exhaust I have seen on a 7. His welding is absolutly the best you will find anywhere!

Β 

The important thing is you must tell them exactly what you want. If you don't give them all the details like primary lengths, 4-2-1 or 4-1 ect and you leave it to them then you can't expect them to make what you "imagined"

Β 

As for the cost, well it was not cheap at Β£1500 but that included at least Β£500 worth of silencer with 250 quids worth of cat inbuilt.

Β 

Here's some pics.

Β 

Β 

here

Β 

here

Β 

Edited to say that Simpson have their own pipe bending eqipment which means they can make exactly whats required and not have to make something out of off the shelf bends like most of the others do. This was the deciding factor that made me go to them.

Β 

Jason

Β 

Β 

Β 

It clunks, it rattles, the wife hates it, but I love my BEC.

Β 

Β 

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 5 Feb 2009 20:52:37

Jason, are you saying that each of your primaries is one pipe, not a series of bends welded together? Looks like it may be welded to me, or what are the bands on the pipes? Looks like a great job, not trying to slag it.

Β 

Just for what its worth, I don't think there is anything wrong with headers made from a collection of bends. The internal diameter of the pipe should be greater than then port, so that when the "wave" is coming back up, it has something to bounce off. I don't think a minute reduction in diameter by a 16th of an inch, for a distance of another 16th will make any difference to exhaust gas flow.

Β 

If this was my project, I would tackle it myself. I'd buy a stack of mandrel bends (Mandrel bends are tubes bent with a wee boyo up the inside of the pipe. It stops the tube deforming in section...which looks rubbish) and make up what I needed. Get good tight bends (As in greater than 90degrees) as chances are you're going to need greater than 90 at some stage, and its easy to cut off what you don't need...but you can't add on what you haven't got.

Β 

Don't get too hung up on the equal length thing...unless you're going to get properly hung up on it. You need to work out, via a formula, the length of the primarys necessary depending on your head and internal dimensions. Don't go on hearsay and "But we always use 24" primarys". I haven't got the formula handy, but it is in a book somewhere.

Β 

Plates for the manifolds can be laser cut, but be to leave the holes bigger than the ports. Don't go too big on diameter as its important to have some velocity in the pipe. I'd use mild and get it coated later. Only because I'm better at welding mild and stainless has a habit of cracking (And going brown).

Β 

If you've never made an exhaust system before, you may think I'm daft as a brush...but its one of those things that is cool to do, and the look of it really makes the car. To me its a bit like those American Chopper programs where they get to design the tanks based on what idea they have in their head. Making your own system is seriously satisfying.

Β 

Just my 2p.

Β 

Willie

p.s. Forgot to say it'll cost about Β£100 for the material. Coating extra.

SM25T *thumbup*

Β 

Willie

Β 

Yes the system is made of different bends but if you look at the system carefully you will see that it’s not just your "off the shelf" 45 and 90 deg bends. Because they have the gear to make bends, if Simpsons need a 32 deg bend then that’s what they make.

Β 

As for the primary length, yes I did get hung up on it *redface* But only after reading how sensitive high revving bike engines are. And thats not only the primary lengths either, but also the difference the collectors make, like the 4-2-1 giving more torque or is it BHP?? and which two cylinders to link togeather.

Β 

I think I got it close enough with 610mm primaries and 4-2-1 because it goes better than I thought it would and looks the dogs nuts.

Β 

But even after trawling the net for everything about this subject, I took Adam Hays advice and measured the std bike exhaust primaries, linked the same pipes on the 2-1 and used that as a bench mark.

I’m planning to stick it on TTS’s rolling road in the spring so I’ll see if it’s any good then.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Jason

Β 

Β 

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 6 Feb 2009 10:17:01

Jason,

Β 

Know what you're saying, but if I need a 32deg bend, I just get one that is greater than 32 and cut it perpendicular at the 32degree point. Works well for me...but then I like making stuff 😬

Β 

Generally, 4-2-1 gives better midrange/top and 4-1 better peak power. The exhaust "tuning" length only works around a certain rpm, that's why you should calculate it properly if fitting cams etc, as you want your exhaust to be in the zone at the same rpm that the cam is on song. I wouldn't worry too much about exhaust length tuning on a standard engine as just about anything you put on will be better than standard (Although bikes tend to be way better than cars).

Β 

Willie

Willie

Β 

I'm not really into chopping pipes and all that and although I have a mig and tig welder, I could never even begin to think about replicating what Simpsons made for me. Also, as I did not want the "Made In My Garage" look I was happy to shell out the wedge on this occasion.

Β 

I can however see how it must give you a great sense of achevement to sit back and admire what you have just made. If I had made one then it would look something like this.

Β 

Jason

Β 

It clunks, it rattles, the wife hates it, but I love my BEC.

Β 

Β 

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 6 Feb 2009 13:14:21