Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox for 300 bhp

Anthony

Gents, welcome your thoughts.

Trying to help with disposal of 300 bhp engine (214 lb ft), and boxes go go with it.

The great Quaife box went with the chassis and potential purchaser is considering sequential, but also looking at other options.

From discussions, I recall Caterham 6 speeds if built properly, should be ok

Will strengthened type 9 be strong enough

Welcome thoughts from the powerful XE's/K's/BD's/Duratec chaps as to what works without breaking

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony

I suspect you already know the answer ☹️

Really an engine with 214lbft of torque will need the new quaife gearbox if its going to stand a chance of lasting a while.

Whilst the csr260 uses the 6 speed gearbox its not exactly the best gearchange and its also not hitting the revs that your engine uses

Good luck with the sale.

Dave

Anthony

IMHO the Caterham 6 speed manual is not up to 250bhp unless it has all the mods and is refreshed every winter. I suppose it will come down to what the car is to be used for and how it is driven. My 6 speed, mainly used for sprints, requires new synchro's on 1st-4th at the end of every season.

The new Quaiffe 6 speed sequential (not cheap) as fitted to the CSR race cards should be up to the job and I believe they are going to bring out a manual version.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

The new Quaiffe 6 speed sequential (not cheap) as fitted to the CSR race cards should be up to the job and I believe they are going to bring out a manual version

By manual I guess you mean H pattern *tongue* . . . . I thought the X330 had a prototype version of this box but Quaife have now given up on it for the time being?

Thanks chaps.

Expensive this power business *smile*

The Quaife solution (sequential is the default) but buyer a bit put off by shockloads etc.

Mark, fully understand where you are coming from and Road and Race Trans did a great job of building my 6 speed when old engine was c.250, upgraded to sequential and now wish I hadn't sold it *eek*

Dave thanks for the steer and suspect thats the long term solution.

Just to add a different perspective..............

I have used a type 9 five speed in my car for 10 years now and have broken the synchros a few times and one of the forks. When I did lots of trackdays in the car (slicks etc etc) I got the box rebuilt every winter but it didnt always need anything doing! Now its only road use and some drag racing its every 2-3 years. My gearbox has the quaiffe gear kit and alloy case.

I think that the torque output is not as important as the use it has ie when I go drag racing my start consists of holding the throttle flat on the floor and sidestepping the clutch. There is no wheelspin thats noticable just a 1.5 second 60ft time which is a lot of shock to the drivetrain but nothing has broken yet *eek* Imagine this 5-8 times in a day and still driving home *eek* Then doing the same a month or so later *eek* For my car the 5 speeder is well suited as I think with the 6 speed I would always be changing gear or missing out gears. Also the 6 speed is based on the type 9 so I would assume that it uses similar/same synchros etc

If a 5 speeder came up it may be worth considering it.

James

Su77on Se7ens

Mark

I too suffered from gearbox wear with my 247bhp K series when sprinting. wearing out mainshafts, syncros and all the other gubbins on the 6 speeder.

I firmly believe that the gearbopx wear is multiplied by a massive amount when sprinting and hillclimbing and this is the real cause of the wear seen - its the only time that anyone would thrash the gearbox from stonecold 😬

The csr race cars were sufering from overheating ? and siezure ? and the box doesnt like high revs owing to its splash lubrication.

Dave

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Just for the record, seeing as this is quite a good thread, what tends to go first on the 6spd box?

Is it overheating and seizure?

Am I right in saying that syncros go depending on use, rather than power...as you're off the power when changing anyway (In theory)?

Willie

All of the gearbox chaps I have spoken to have said its the syncro rings that will fail with boring regularity, followed by other issues. Road and Race made a wonderful job of my 6 speed, but its not worth putting one in, just for it to fail in a year.

Quaife are bullish about the new 5 speeds being very strong, especially the dog box

what tends to go first on the 6spd box?

depends how the box is used - road / race / hillclimb

is the box thrashed when cold - as with hillclimbs and sprints

is the driver flatshifting ?

is the driver hurrying the gearchange before the syncros ?

is the engine revving to 9000 rpm ?

is the engine producing a gearbox unfriendly 210lb torque ?

is the car used in endurance races for an hour or two at a time ?

what oil is being used ?

there are a handfull of upgraded parts that have been fittted over the years that the box has been around - things like redesigned gears etc that help prolong life.

Dave

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 1 Aug 2008 08:11:17