Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another 300 bhp Duratec

AMMO

Unless you are running the car very low there is no more a problem with the wet than the dry sump. Having done several wet sump engines for cars recently which have now done lots of track miles there is not a problem with clearance, but these cars are running at standard ride height. For a track car which may run lower, clearance may be more critical, especially if you run over the curbs.

Mick

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ammo......I see what you are saying now *thumbup*

I run the raceline mounts on my 2.0 and although the sump does have some grazing I've never really banged it into the road although I do look out for nasty dips in the road as I know it is low.

The lowest point on mine is actually the bellhousing but because it is in the centre of the car it very rarely hits the ground nad is actually more of a problem on 4 poster lifts as it can catch on the cross bar of the lift.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Thanks MikeE *thumbup*

Dobuy

I holed a sump on my Zetec a few years back so I tend to be a bit fussy about ground clearance but refuse to run the suspension high or anything other that 13" wheels. In fact I'm about to make things worse by fitting softer springs at the front for some back lane scratching. I have titanium sump guard planned to make pretty sparks 😬

I know you have taken a chunk out of your block recently so my advice is to raise the engine as far as it will go. A few ali spacers and some longer bolts may save you some grief. Be careful where the exhaust exits the skin. The hole may need enlarging a tad. Even if you seem to have clearance the engine moves around on the engine mounts.

Regarding the head work, that is only part of it. We've had to have lots of components made as there was not a lot available off the shelf that I liked. Still have to a few more parts made so that the 2.2 will make over 300 bhp with the airbox on and some others to make 300 bhp in a 2 litre.

All good fun 😬

AMMO

Finally got a chance to try the new 2.2 engine in anger at Rockingham. First impressions are that it's very revvy and powerful, but then it's been many months since I've driven on track! Unfortunately an erratic stack and shiftlights meant it was a bit tricky to judge the change up but the power feels very linear. It doesn't have quite the same monster mid range that the 2.5 "tractor" engine had (as Ammo calls it) but the extended rev range more than makes up for it. The instant throttle response and power makes it very entertaining to drive on the throttle.

The best news is that the airbox completely eliminates the induction bark, but it still sounds fantastic. The exhaust might still be a bit noisy for Donington though, but definitely going to try it. The track day organiser remarked on how comparatively quiet it was to last year!

Unfortunately the clutch release bearing gave way early on, not sure why yet. Fortunately with a push out the pitlane to slot into first it was fine to carry on driving with the dog box, but shame on Ammo for passing up the invitation to have a go - chicken! 😬

I too am interested in an airbox for a Duratec with Raceline TB's and 90mm trumpets. *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I too need an airbox for a Raceline Throttle body set up - if anyone has an details then please post here or email me direct.

Oh and contratulations Danny and Ammo, I look forward to a passenger ride sometime *wink*

Danny

Yes it is true. I am chicken. especially when it comes to driving somebody else's 300 bhp car with no clutch at a track I have never been to.

I was impressed with Rockingham. The cafeteria has real plates and cutlery! The food was edible. Amazing.

The track is OK too. The grandstands are reminiscent of a mini Daytona. I would definitely want to go again. To spectate or for a trackday.

The passenger ride was something else! The tractor engine was fast but the 2.2 sounds and goes better in my opinion. From trackside it sounded more like a race engine and not all the revs are being used yet.

The mark 1 airbox works well with drive by noise at around 84 dB taken in two different places. I think Jonny from Bookatrack got similar readings. The mark 2 airbox will be better still when I get around to designing and making it.

Looking forward to a new CRB being fitted so I can have a pootle around myself sometime soon. 😬

AMMO

Stuart

I didn't tell you about that? I thought you knew 😬

Stuart has been instumental in Danny's car getting anywhere near a race track. I spent four days at his workshop trying to make a pile of bits that Danny and I discussed by email actually work. Without Stuart's help it it probably would have happened but probably a lot later.

The airbox was a freakin' nightmare but with Stuart's help it happened. Thank you Stuart.

Don't worry, the current airbox is not going to be retired until winter. 😬

AMMO

• 2 weeks later...

The airbox works very well but there is no doubt about it, it won't win any beauty contests 😬

That is why I am planning a mark 2 version that will be more pleasing to the eye and with the modifications I have planned, will work better too. We took someone else's box and chopped it about to see if it would work at all. It does, but it needs improving. It was easier to do this than spend hours making something beautiful that doesn't work. The whole induction system is experimental, with development we should see something a lot better in the near future.

Even on the flowbench when it is on full chat with the airbox lid off the noise without ear defenders is almost painful. With the lid on it is much, much quieter. Something that was very much apparent on the dyno too. At the race track the engine still sounds great without being obtrusive.

It is over- large in capacity and so we have space to change things around inside a bit. We also needed the extra space for the external injectors. The engine is under development. When the induction system is finalised and we know what dimensions we are working to, then we can make the new airbox.

Because of the new head, cams and throttle bodies on an engine with a shorter stoke and the higher rpm, the induction noise is getting a bit out of control. With some other new parts I have planned the engine is not likely to get any quieter.

The box sorts out the noise problem for now. Without it Danny would no doubt get chucked off a few circuits.

The current airbox is a learning tool. It is quiet but loses us power. The plan for the new one is for it to be quiet, lose litte or no power and look a lot nicer 😬

AMMO