Click here if you are having website access problems ×

An almost 300 bhp Duratec

AMMO

Danny LT's Duratec at Emerald yesterday. 297.5 bhp at 8140 rpm with 213 ft lb of torque. Never less than 190 ft lb of torque between 5,000 and 8,000 rpm.

Although we were at the dyno at 9.30 we were not able to do any power runs until 1 pm. Traction problems, tyres, lowered floor hitting the deck, rear towing eye touching the rollers. Bleedin' nightmare. Had to leave at 5pm with different exhaust, bellmouths and cam timing still to experiment with. Couple of mods I still want to do. Dave Walker is confident we will see 300 bhp + next time. Might even make a few more horses once the engine has run a bit more.

Thanks to Danny for giving me the opportunity to build this engine for him and being so very patient during it's very difficult and prolonged birth. *thumbup*

Thanks to Mike Riley for pulling out all the stops and producing one of the nicest exhausts I have ever seen on a Seven. *thumbup* The man is a genius. Built exactly as I asked and even though the headers ar 2" diameter he managed the get the lengths exactly right and have them all exit out of the original hole without enlarging it.

Hoping we can do a couple more mods and go back to the dyno soon.

AMMO

Ammo is this an entirely new engine or a re work of Danny's old one? either way congratulations, it's great to see a Duratec making these kind of figures.

Any chance of some rough spec details, ie cams, number of injectors? I guess it had a steel crank judging from the revs.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 26 Feb 2006 13:52:06

Edited by - rgrigsby on 26 Feb 2006 13:53:35

Robert

It is Danny's old engine bored to 91mm for a capacity of 2,445 cc. Would have liked to go to 92mm for a capacity of 2,499 cc but decided to buy off the shelf items. In retrospect I would have preferred to do my own thing as the ring pack fitted to the pistons was not to my liking. 92 mm pistons are on the cards.

Steel crank with 8 balance weights. Due to the design it weighs the same as the stock crank with 4 balance weights. Arrow rods.

Head is ported with 36 mm inlets and 31 mm exhausts. More development to the head is still required but that will come when I have time to experiment on the flowbench with a dead head that I have at work. Might squeeze even bigger valves in at some point.

The inlet cam is to my own spec to take advantage of the extra flow at higher lift as nothing I liked was available. Don't think I want to put anymore cam in the engine as I am happy with the rpm. More cam would probably mean higher revs. Cosworth's 300 bhp Duratec revs to 8,600. I think this is a bit much hence the decision to go for more capacity rather than higher revs.

Managed to swing the cams once and gained 5.5 bhp. Wanted to mess around a bit more but was time to go home. Still on single valve springs but they seem to be working fine.

Fabricated inlet manifold with 52 mm throttle bodies. 8 injectors.

4-2-1 exhaust with 2" headers and 3" bore silencer. We had a 2.75" outlet with tapered core to try. We have the possibility to rotate the collector to link 1 and 2 / 3 and 4 together to see what happens. Also had different length bellmouths but again no time.

Managed to foul the grade 8 plugs and stupidly didn't take any spares. Bought some grade 6 from local shop and ran these, so maybe something to come from the plugs as well.

We are at the very beginning of the development of this engine. Would like to see around 310 / 320 bhp eventually. Wished we had more time. Shame that we didn't go over 300 bhp but that will come. All the work was done in a bit of a hurry (although Danny may not agree with this). With the luxury of more time and a bit of experimentation we will eventually get there. If it was easy ift would probably be less fun!

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 26 Feb 2006 15:11:03

Dave

I think there is probably a bit more to come from swinging the cams and in the induction and exhaust. The rev bit I don't like that much. Currently we are at 25.5 mt. sec. mean piston speed at 8,140 rpm. 8,300 is 26 mt. sec. which is about as far as I'm happy to go. Cosworth rev their 300 bhp Duratec 2.3 to 8,600 which is almost 27 mt. sec. Maybe OK for a race engine but this is a road car with lots of track use.

We need to find a few more ft lb of torque at high rpm. A 2 % capacity increase to a full 2.5 litre isn't going to hurt, better designed pistons with a nicer ring pack won't harm either. There are a couple of other things I want to try but they will have to wait until the engine gets a freshen up next winter.

In the mean time I would like to get it back on the rolling road once it has done a few miles. I'm fidgety now wanting to do more testing. Danny on the other hand probably wants to drive it a bit! 😬

AMMO

In the mean time I would like to get it back on the rolling road once it has done a few miles. I'm fidgety now wanting to do more testing. Danny on the other hand probably wants to drive it a bit!
Car has now been delivered Ammo and I can confirm that Danny was fairly excited when I handed over the dyno sheets.

I was sorely tempted to take it for a blast this morning *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Thanks Neil

Nifty

Thanks for helping out with trailering the car back to yours and storing it overnight for Danny to collect today. *thumbup* Much appreciated. The car must be pretty mental to drive!

I'm looking forward to putting my car back on the road next Wednesday. Must do something about the puny 228 bhp. Maybe next winter.

AMMO

All four tyres are bald from the rolling road excitement, so will have to wait till next weekend and new tyres before having a go! I can at least refine the cold start map until then 😬. The exhaust is a work of art, but most of Ammo's work is invisible on the outside - he must have done something though! Thanks Nifty for looking after it, I was gutted I couldn't watch this time.

It's a straight cut Quaife dog box, and I spoke to SP Components who built it; he reckoned it should be fine. The previous clutch plate wasn't though, so there's a heavier duty one now, and after being forced to learn to drive without the clutch for a day at Spa I reckon I'll use it a lot less this year!

AMMO, what did you have to go and do that for 🤔

I was happy with 240 before all this talk of upgrades and 300+ from a starting point of a 2.3 Duratec but no, you couldn't leave well alone could you. Well I hope you're happy now that I will be forced to feed this evil god of upgrades despite thinking I had successfully managed to put all that behind me

Seriously though, an excellent result *thumbup* *cool*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬