Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5W/50 Fully Synthetic

frankyknuckles

I searched the archive yesterday but could not find the definitive answer. So I called CC today and they canfirm that at 500 miles, you can use a 5W/50 Fully Synthetic Oil.

Caterham now use Caterham Motorsport Oil. I think I'll start reviewing my options. I've got 8 litres of Redline fully synth in the garage at home, just can't remember what grade it is.

I will also be doing the first service myself, CC charge £150 (inclusive of VAT).

Build Diary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to mentiont that very important point that Count made! Lots of people use Mobil1M in the blind belief that it will endow them with formula 1 performance it truth it cannot be that great for the engine.

The Caterham/Comma motorsport stuff will be great especially for those mid summer track days where temperatures can get very high.

That was a very interesting post Fordy *thumbup*, I agree with Count that it ought to be in the FAQ

If I read your post correctly, Rover reckon that anything over x/40 is bad for the tappets but Caterham are supplying 5w/50. It seems a strange decision, especially as the previous recommended oil was synerG which is a 5w/40.

So, either Caterham have got it wrong or Rover have. I wonder if they know what Rover have said ?

In the meantime I think I'll stick to my Halfrauds 5w/40 fully synth

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

Edited by - Nick Woods on 17 Mar 2004 17:43:10

Fordy, excellent piece, really informative. Seeing how you may have an informend opinion and I do not have an owners manual, what would you put in a 226bhp 2.0l Duratec that will be run in ambient temps up to 40 degrees here in the middle east. Not to mention being run on the track as well without a dry sump.

Oil is quite cheap out here, but the high temps do cause a few worries. Any suggestions would be greatfull received.

Thnaks

Duratec Se7en, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool* Keep it sunny side up and out of the kitty litter.

This is so spooky, I was standing in the local supermarket talking to Peter Steer about this very thing. I have a 1600 Xflow with a metal plate in the engine bay that says stick Mobil 1 in the car. Peter told me to check the specification and get a matching oil. So the question is, what do you stick in a dry sumped xflow that is going to do the odd track day but plenty of road miles?

Ade *smile*

FORDY: I am running a zetec of about 200 HP in southern California using Mobil 1 5/50. It slightly lowered my oil pressure when I made the change. The K guy's recommendation causes me to wonder if that oil would have a deleterious effect upon my zetec. Do you have an opinion on that 🤔 Thank you for any response. *cool*

FORDY: I am running a zetec of about 200 HP in southern California using Mobil 1 5/50. It slightly lowered my oil pressure when I made the change. The K guy's recommendation causes me to wonder if that oil would have a deleterious effect upon my zetec. Do you have an opinion on that 🤔 Thank you for any response. *cool*

Fordy,

What a super post, full of useful info and not the usual claptrap that Caterham feed us - "You must use Caterhams own 5w-50, or you engine will die" "Even though we only started recommending it a month ago and we have had no problem with the now superseeded 5w-40 product!!"

This, Caterham recommendation (5w 40 to 5w-50), seems to be the same scenario as the 'Coldstream' to 'X-Stream2' they can give no reason why the old product was replaced, nor did they ever have a problem with it, but if you dont change dont expect your car to start in the morning!!

I now intend to run a 1.6K which will be raced on 5w-40, as recommended by the engine manufacturer and not 5W-50 as recommended by the marketing man at CC.

Cheers Fordy *thumbup*

PS Fordy whats your veiw on Mobil 1? Is the 15-50 or 0-40 better suited to a K? Or are neither particularly good?

I appreciate you stated x-40w but is 0-40w to thin?

Thanks

A very interesting piece, and I would love to see an article in Low Flying on this subject. I have always felt that there is so much rubbish spoken about oils, that it is useful to hear the facts. I amazes me how many people waste oil. I have seen many people change Mobil 1 Motorsport every track day. I KNOW this is a waste of time - ECR only changes his oil when the engine comes out of the car (mind you, his being an old Vx, that is quite often... 😬). I only change my car's oil once a year, and have never suffered problems as a result.

Please, however, don't make comments that are inaccurate. As Dino points out, Comma has access to Exxon-Mobil's research capability and their products shouldn't be questioned as a result of ignorance. Similarly, why do Caterham recommend particular oils? Because they have carried out their own testing in conjunction with their engine suppliers (Rover and Minister) to come up with the best solution. They have never said that you 'must' use Comma oils, but theirs are considered suitable and are recommended. If you use an equivalent quality oil, no-one will complain nor will warrenties be voided. If you would like to establish the facts, speak to Andy Noble at Caterham - he will tell you the story.

When it comes to things like Caterham gearbox oil or Differential oil, are they 'ripping us off'? NO - they are responding to customer critisism from people like me who were irritated at the amount of effort it takes to find the right stuff. It is much better to sell us packaged oil that is the recommended specification for the cars. Do they make a profit on it? I hope so - that way they are likely to survive.

I had quite a bit of involvement with Minister when I first bought the R500, and I can assure you that they put a great deal of thought into their engines' requirements for oil before they made their recommendation - which was Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W/50 at the time.

Edited by - Chairman Keith on 18 Mar 2004 10:10:47