Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Removable Aero V Brooklands

Delberts Wallet

Gareth,

I currently run with the Brooklands set-up and wouldn't change. 2 reasons:

1. '93 car in BRG with yellow nose cone and I think the 'classic' Brooklands look suits my car compared to a black aero and

2. Having been in another 7 with interchangeable aeros I felt that the Brooklands offered far more protection.

Just my 2p worth *smile*

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here

Drive it like you stole it! *eek*

Richard, I found the best angle by trial and error - they are easily adjusted while driving in a staright line. Mine are set at about 45 degrees. Down a bit I get more direct airflow and up a bit, more turbulance. My head does stick up a long way, being 6' 2" 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Richard,

Not sure if there is a definitve answer as there are too many variables:

Types of seat

Position of seat on runners

Height of driver

Type of driving

I tend to vary the rake on my Brooklands screen depending on the type of driving i.e M-way driving I tend to shuffle down in the seat and then tilt the screen up so that I end up looking through the glass; for track driving I prefer the screen lower so that I can see over it, there will be slightly more buffeting but as I'm wearing a helmet it's not so noticeable.

Just a few thoughts *smile*

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here

I had Brooklands on my old car and have the interchangeable aero on the new. The aeroscreen offers minimal protection compared to the Brooklands. With the aero the airflow hits me (5ft 10") around eyebrow level, whereas with the Brooklands I felt it was mostly passing over my head. Another thing I notice is that with the aero, on the way to a track day, driving for an hour or more on a motorway/A road with a helmet on, my neck gets quite tired due to my head constantly resisting the airflow. This didn't happen with the Brooklands. Luckilly it is not the case on the track with constant changes of speed/direction.

Sorry to sound like a doughnut but have never seen a Brooklands screen in the flesh. A few questions to those that have one fitted.

Is any drilling of the car required or does it directly replace the windscreen 🤔

If so how long to interchange the two 🤔

What about mirrors are they attached directly to frame work and if so is it pre-drilled 🤔 Or will the car need drilling 🤔

Obviously there will be a weight saving over the srceen any idea how much 🤔

And lastly are Caterham and Demon Tweaks the only place to purchase them 🤔

Tony,

There seem to be 2 methods of fitting Brooklands. Firstly by fitting the whole assembly i.e 2 screens and aluminium stanchion.Secondly by fitting the screens directly to the scuttle therefore not requiring the stanchion. On the former method no drilling is required.

The aluminium stanchion fits directly onto the 2 holes either side of the scuttle where the windscreen is attached. To remove the windscreen you will need to remove the knee trim panels on either side by drilling out the rivets in order to get to the nylocs. Once replaced use self tappers to refix the panels for future use. I believe on some newer 7s that you do not need to remove the panels as the bolts have captive nuts

With practice it should only take 15/20 mins to interchange between the windscreen and the aeros.

Most people seem to use SPA mirrors (central and side) which bolt onto the aluminium stanchion. This then means that the whole assembly (stanchion, aeros and mirrors) is attached solely by the 4 winsdscreen bolts.

The SPA side mirrors need an allen key to tighten up the mirrors on the stems IYSWIM so you'll need to do this prior to fixing the mirrors. Unfortunately they occasionally come loose which means you have to remove the mirror to re-tighten it. To get round this problem I simply drilled a hole through the stanchion and the scuttle so that I can use an allen key from inside the scuttle.

No idea on the actual weight saving.

I'd guess that the only place you'll get the stanchion is from CC or DT, however you can purchase the individual screens directly from the manufacturer. I don't have the details but if you do a search you should find the details.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here

Excellent,

Thanks Chris, have been in touch with Caterham and they can sell me the Brooklands kit complete, minus the VAT.

Should I get the Spa mirrors there as well (minus the VAT) or would they be cheaper somewhere else 🤔 I'm also assuming they sell the mirrors in chrome as black would look out of place with the chrome Brooklands kit 🤔

Very confused on costs ie:

Caterham £235 complete, minus VAT = £193.88 *cool*

Demon Tweaks £250 complete, excluding VAT *eek*

I bought the stanchion from Caterham and the screens from Kimble engineering in Dartmouth ( they have the licence to make original Brooklands) slightly cheeper than Caterham. Mirrors, I already had SPA, but got a different stem from them, so the mirror would sit up higher, therefore I could see over the rear wing. I didn't use an SPA rear view, I bought an adj chrome mirror, that is off a Jag X 120, these can be bought from classic car suppliers. *cool*

My Seven has the 4 Brooklands 'platforms' bolted permanently to the scuttle (ie. I don't use the one-piece Brooklands stanchion). I then have SPA-type mirrors bolted through the hole for the heated windscreen power cable.

To switch to full windscreen, I just whip off the Brooklands from the platforms and then put on the windscreen/stanchions.

Richard,

How long before you would produce the aero's after the testing 🤔

A rough guide line to general costs 🤔

On the verge of purchasing the Brooklands, just got to get the delivery sorted which could be a pain in the 🙆🏻 Willing to wait if answers to above were suitable *smile*

Can one of you Brooklands owners tell me what sort of speeds are comfortable with out a crash-helmet and how a brooklands screen compares with a normal windscreen without doors. I find the buffeting pretty uncomfortable at anything over 80.

Of course I never actually drive at anything over 70 😬

James.

• Area Representative

James,

With a screen and no doors, the buffeting for some (wife!) can tend to be a bit too much as you pass 70. Adding the wind deflectors will improve things at the legal limit but not by that much. With Brooklands screens on and as they can be seperately adjusted for driver and passenger, I find that I can cruise pretty much at 100 mph. I use Fred's Wiley-X googles to stop my eyes watering but the wind effect is completely different to the screen/no doors option. Rather than have any buffeting when your head is being battered from either side, the airflow is much smoother. Much like sitting in front of a large deskfan that is constantly on.

If you use Autocom headsets, there is no background interference as the wind is straight onto the back of the mike (much like on a motorbike) and not cutting across from the windscreen, causing a large roar.

Best thing is to see which local blatchatter has them on a car and go for a decent blat *thumbup*

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬