Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR owners check your rear suspension mounts

Gareth H

I did raise the subject of inspection with George (their Eng Man), explained that mine had been visually inspected and given a clean bill of health by the supplying dealer a few weeks prior (one failed completely and the other was cracked when they were changed).

He is  looking into test procedures.

IMHO it is a waste of time inspecting for cracks because you could inspect and find no cracks present and then go for a drive and the brackets could develop a crack and fracture while you are driving the car so I don't see the point of taking the risk.  I suppose you could check the brackets before or after every journey, which seems to be what CC are suggesting but who wants to do that and it spoils the driving experience having a niggle in the back of your head that the suspension could fail at any moment.  CC state:

"If the inspection does not reveal any concerns, you may wish to continue using your CSR with regular checks."

CC also state:

"Mainstream road cars sometimes experience a similar issue in the form of a spring breakage and whilst unpleasant, it rarely causes a loss of control and the car can usually be limped home or to a garage for repair."

I don' think Jimmy Stew would agree with that comment when he described his experience #9 as follows:

"Interesting comments re the brackets, car was doing perhaps 60 ish, round a left hand bend, and it just let go, no collision or bump, was going backwards before I knew anything about it.  As Blue7 says, not the best of days out but fortunately car did not roll over.  The moor it ended up in was a  good 10 feet below the roadway so count myself very lucky indeed."

CC also state:

"we may build a log of all current CSR owners and contact you as soon as a solution is available"

There is only one solution for peace of mind and that is fitting the TL re-designed replacement brackets.  At least CC are publicising this matter and I hope they are bringing it to the attention of all their official and unofficial service agents with a recommendation that the brackets should be replaced on every CSR they sell or service.

Stefan Heth compiled a Register of CSRs, if he has any email addresses on a database maybe he could send out a batch email with a link to the CC "Calling All CSR Owners" page?

David

"I did raise the subject of inspection with George (their Eng Man), explained that mine had been visually inspected and given a clean bill of health by the supplying dealer a few weeks prior (one failed completely and the other was cracked when they were changed)."

Best point made in this thread. 

Inspecting the components, even if it's possible in situ, doesn't mean they won't crack and fail soon after. 

There's a lot of circumstantial evidence to show that these parts aren't up to the job and will fail sooner or later. 

The only safe way to proceed is to change for an uprated product. IMO. 

• Leadership Team

Me too.  Slightly surprised that, in neither this latest questionnaire nor in the earlier one, has a question been asked about the age of the car.  I would have expected both age (or build year) of the CSR, as well as mileage covered to date, to be parameters worth capturing.

James

Sam and David

No - this is the same failure I experienced in June, just cleaned up so you can see the damage better and, yes, it does look like there was a pre-existing crack there which let go when I hit the pothole on the M11, but it doesn't look that old as the colour difference only showed up in the photo. It has lasted 54k miles and many trackdays and sprints, so I have been lucky compared to others. 

I have completed both questionnaires and CC advised me not to drive it (!), but I think they were expecting me to report a crack, rather than a failure. I have completed both questionnaires - the second had gone to my spam folder. 

My car is still awaiting repair - the dampers are now available again so the car is being picked up on Monday. It should be repaired in time for the winter, as it needs a rear skin and work on the 6 speed shift (rose joint seized up - I could do it myself but given everything else that is needed I have asked Nick Potter to sort this as well). It was availability of parts that has led to the long wait.

Steve

• Leadership Team

Does the photo at #167 represent the correct assembly of the through-bolt, spacers and collets?  I ask as it is different from images posted earlier (in the 'other' thread, by Hanns Per):

IMG_6667.jpeg.8c45240ea74d5b93ad2ca63e44fcec71.jpeg 

I know that the CSR build instructions are quite clear but I can't find those at the moment.

Anyone able to clarify?

James