Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR owners check your rear suspension mounts

Gareth H

• Area Representative
On 16/11/2023 at 18:12, ScottR400D said:

I wonder what significant involvement DVSA might have other than asking what the remedy was. 

Maybe CC did not approach the DVSA with a modicum of haste after club members raised the issue ?  The DVSA is the very first port of call for any problem that could cause imminent failure or death. They then implement an urgent recall which the manufacturer should immediately implement by contacting owners.

IMO the reporting of this has been ar*e about face, but no bad thing as owners were really on top of the problem from the beginning. But every owner should have made an individual report to DVSA to put pressure on CC.

Vehicle recalls and faults: Report a serious safety defect - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Edited by Geoff Brown

I’m pretty sure CC didn’t go to the DVSA, it was the reports to the DVSA that caused CC to react. DVSA has not implemented any recall as far as I am aware. Hopefully they haven’t fallen for CC’s comparison to a broken spring!

To be honest, I didn’t even know the DVSA existed before this thread!

• Area Representative
17 hours ago, Gareth H said:

I think I kicked it off by reporting my failure to DVSA back in July, although  I find it really hard to believe that Caterham weren’t aware of the issue 

As mentioned previously I think that CC in some way or form may have fallen foul with the DVSA .

On 18/11/2023 at 10:31, Geoff Brown said:

As mentioned previously I think that CC in some way or form may have fallen foul with the DVSA .

I was wondering what CC’s next step was, presumably a social media post isn’t sufficient action in terms of notifying owners? I assume they would need to advise a remedy and a possible recall to rectify?

I emailed George Campbell a couple of days ago, as I had dropped my old clevis’ off to him back in September. Just enquiring if the material analysis results had come back. I got a reply today saying they are “still carrying out their investigations and a general update will be sent out in the coming weeks”. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, PlastererPete said:

Just received an email from CC regarding the CSR clevis issue. Another form to fill in. Just a heads up incase it makes its way into someones junk folder. 

Isn’t that the same form we originally completed several months ago? It isn’t asking for anything that I haven’t already sent them. 

Is anyone taking bets that it will be longer than the Covid Enquiry?  A logical person would assume that by now all CSR owners that are aware of the problem will have replaced their clevis brackets for peace of mind and if nothing else for the safety of their passengers, other road users and pedestrians ... but ... I know of at least two that just take the attitude of "hey ho" I'll just have them checked at each service.  In any case, the cause of the problem is quite obvious, "climate change", only a doubter would disagree.

1 hour ago, ScottR400D said:

They’ve just sent me a Christmas e mail trying to sell me a watch so they’ve obviously sorted all the real issues.

£3,480 !!!!!!! I was just about to turn my last radiator off and all the lights in the hope that I may be able to afford one, when I suddenly spotted that familiar red notice, oh well, I'll just have to continue to ask a Policeman, if I can find one. 😕

Vertex.jpg

Edited by David aka Blue7

To be fair I wouldn’t have thought it at all likely they’d sell even 50 of them so neither would I put them in stock. 

Get the order, get the deposit and then start building the product. Get the full price, deliver the product then look for something else to sell is the normal MO isn’t it? 

• 3 weeks later...

Here are pictures of my broken clevis (cleaned up) and the LHS which looks fine. Looking at the broken surfaces, it looks like there was a crack underneath the rear lug, which then gave way when I hit the pothole at 70mph on the M11. This then caused the top of the plug to shatter, taking the forward lug with it as the suspension collapsed. 

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpeg

IMG_0957.jpeg

I'm surprised that you still have all the pieces especially that small section of the lug, were they all still attached to the bolt?  Do you intend to hand them to CC?  I am intrigued as to what CC are doing because I would have thought that any metallurgical tests would have been completed by now, along with conclusions regarding cause?  Maybe John Chilcot is in charge of investigations so we can expect publication of results in 7 years time, an appropriate period I suppose.

I'm surprised that you still have all the pieces especially that small section of the lug, were they all still attached to the bolt?  Do you intend to hand them to CC? 

Yes, all the pieces were still attached to the bolt, including the sliver of metal which was just hanging on by a thread. Having cleaned them up they are now on their way to CC who confirmed that they would still like to see them for tests. 

The two photos below show how it looked right after it was recovered. In the first photo you can just make out the sliver of metal still connected to the clevis (Top Left, covered in a lot of grease from the hub).

IMG_9275.jpeg

IMG_9272.jpeg

Edited by sjmmarsh
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...