Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Caterham prices up - lack of supply

420R

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a whacky alternative?

Keeping the old ones going instead of constantly building and buying new ones?!!

The resource required to make a new car is way in excess of keeping an older machine going.

I'll stick to my stinky ICE propelled 420R ta very much over a silent Caterham EVR (will that be its name?) that is about as much fun as a wet weekend in Grimsby!  

A confirmed Luddite to the bitter end!!!!

And that unfortunately, is what could kill CC. If they are to exist beyond 2030 as a manufacture, they have to embrace the brave new world. If we as existing owners don’t like it, to some extent we will have to put up with it. It not us they need to convince, it’s the customer in a decade or less. No EV = no new sales. 

Sting said ‘If you love someone set them free’ - we need to let CC and by extension the 7 free to exist in the new era, otherwise it will go the same way as myriad of other sportcars / manufacturers. Morgan seem have been much more advanced and forward looking in their engineering for at least a decade and they are I suspect in much stronger position than CC. 

#81 I think you're right, which leaves the big question about whether what they produce will have the same appeal as the 7 has had historically. 

I think you may well be right about Morgan too, but would suggest that they have a range, historically, that is less focussed than CC and can possibly weather a big change more easily.

They already have a smooth IL6 with an 8 speed auto! (On a platform designed with electrification in mind as I understand it)

I wonder if ownership/ management culture has driven the different approached by Morgan and CC. I think Morgan is still family controlled, whereas CC have been an asset in a airline magnates business portfolio, with limited apparent product investment in the last decade.   Maybe a more hands on ownership, locally in the UK would have been able to forsee the changes necessary.  

Interesting chat about Morgan. In a rush of blood to the head I went and test drove a new, manual box, Plus four. Didn't do it for me at any level to be honest. Couldn't touch my Exige S2 in any department - handling/pace/enjoyment. Mind you it didn't rattle as much inside! 

• Leadership Team

I drove a friends Morgan a while ago.  I must say, it felt less comfortable than my 7, felt as if there was less space, no more luggage space, handled like an ordinary tin top, but with no roof.

The "new" CX ally platform Plus Fours are gorgeous things.  Beautifully built.  Now a pure high end luxury lifestyle accessory.    A pretty trinket if you will.

The quality is sublime like a Hermes bag.  No more 70's black vinyl and spraying the shell over the wing piping!

You need however +-£70k to turn the key.  Overpriced like a Hermes bag!

They are not exciting to drive.  They are now a 30's shaped sports car with a bit of token timber to placate the flat cap brigade who are no longer their core market!

A Seven is a superior machine for a hardcore driver.  It has not strayed away from its original design.   It too has got a bit pricey but I see it as much better value for money overall.  

• Area Representative

Just a thought. Land Rover have set up a restoration business and are offering complete restoration and re-builds of the old Land Rover Series 1,2,3 ect + other models. It is I believe, pretty expensive to have one done, even if you supply the original vehicle. 

If the EV is going to kill CC, then maybe starting a restoration business in their works, may be an option. They could offer to completely rebuild any Caterham to the original specification or customer requirements.  As they have the rights to the Lotus 7, they could also include restoration of older Lotus 7's, Series 1,2,3 and may be even S4. It could be a business saver.

Piers

Hmm?  I'd say 99% of Caterham's get very well looked after and rarely descend into decrepitude.   Very few require a total rebuild.  Only a car that is kept outside really deteriorates (under a cover or not) or one used in winter.   They really do fall to pieces.  The metal work rusts heavily and the alloy tends to corrode badly.  The interior also degrades with damp. 

The current set up would be way to big for that concept IMPHO..

Completely agree - I rebuilt mine a couple of years ago, full re-skin and repaint, nuts and bolts - I spend about £4k plus my time.  I don't think such a service would be a starter, especially as the panelling and painting might end up being subcontracted.  Looking at auction value of well restored vintage 7, Im not this would be viable. Porsche do something similar, but given the values and number of of old 911s still out there, its probably worthwhile.   

#94 Sadly this is probably true.

My guess is that Market Research will confirm that there will be insufficient demand for a car with outdated design with little or no safety features, no infotainment features and probably costing close to £100k in 2030.  It would be interesting to conduct a poll here to establish who would consider buying an EV 7 and at what price.  I think we used to carry out polls on the old "yellow" Blatchat?

The other problem will be trade in, who is going to be interested in an ICE car with dwindling petrol stations but I suppose the Gov. of the day may introduce scrapage schemes ... perish the thought!

Another matter that intrigues me is that in the 2021 Webinar, Simon Lambert said he had driven an EV7 so where is it and would it be possible to see it?  I think you guys that live in the area will be attending the Caterham open day, what about asking if you can have sight of this EV7 so you can let the rest of us know what it looks like compared to an ICE 7?

David

Its not only the EV's, persecution by government and so called green policies that are threatening our ICE sevens but the whole of classic vehicle ownership. I can feel a revolution coming on. When we have electric commercial airliners, ships and all trains I may be a little more persuaded but for now its seems we are just soft targets and cash cows.