Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front shock lower wishbone mounting querie ?

Ralph45

Well I've just had the front shocks out and when it came to refitting I quickly checked the torque for the upper and lower mountings from a saved screen shot,it states 20 nm.

All good,a little copper slip 20 nm and all together again,right?

Well not according to another saved torque screen shot I've now just found from further back in time stating 20 nm and thread lock! !!

Both are from CC.

So should I strip the shocks out again and try to clean the copper slip from the thread in the lower wishbone and use some Loctite or leave well alone and just keep an eye on it?

opinions or personal experiences?

its a wide track 1999 using Bilstein shocks if that makes any difference?

On stands with a jack under the disc remove the bolt and clean it. In / out a few times cleaning inbetween.

Then fit a long tube on some brake cleaner, insert into hole and squirt into the threaded boss and give it a good flush out.

Trick is to loctite the thread and coppa slip the shank to stop it seizing in the ally bush.

Thats how I'd do it !

Ian

Having seen more than one case of a rusted in bolt (which caused the eventual scrapping of the wishbone) I coppaslip both thread and shank of bolt. I don't use loctite. This over nearly 30 years with no problems.

Watch this space  *thumbup*

I have just removed my front damper after 42000 miles and building the car in 2011. I used exactly the method recommended Wrightpayne.

I just used a small 3/8 drive ratchet, the loctite (243) was stiff to undo at first, and then the bolt easily unscrewed and came out undamaged.

Grease on the bolt where it passes through the damper is vital. But remember, loctite not only locks the thread but seals it against water/salt ingress. Loctite gives peace of mind and makes it easier to disassemble by preventing thread corrosion.

Duncan

Well thank you all for your views and personal preferences.

I have decided to leave as is and just check the bolts on a regular basis.

If at any point I find that they are loosening then I shall clean up the threads and wishbones thoroughly and apply a little thread lock.

Thanks again 

Ralph

• Leadership Team

I was beginning to think I've been doing it wrong for the last 20 years but at least this shows there's different thoughts about skinning the proverbial cat ... excuse the pun! I'm in the copperslip-only camp and never had a problem with them coming lose.

Stu.

I've just looked up the notes I made during my 2008 build.  I coated the spacer with copper grease (as per the Assembly Guide) and applied Loctite 243 sparingly to the tip of the bolt thread (not mentioned in my Guide, either for or against).  Torqued to 20Nm.

JV

Johnathan thank you for putting the image up but it now throws another fly in the ointment.

All the build manuals or torque settings I can find state 20 nm.

But if look closely in the exploded diagram it gives 25 nm as the setting to be used?

I'm not really concerned,however I am now even more interested to know what to set the bolts at,and what do other fellow seven folk set them at ?