Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CC stopping the 6 speed box

7Up

Interesting policy. 

I can see how the 6 speed, arguably, doesn’t add much on road but having driven both 5 and 6 on track, it’s much better then, IMO. 

Is this a sign that higher power 7s and track use are becoming less popular?

When i heard this in Jan the reason given was simply cost, CC can only order in small numbers, the costs are high and with CC’s margin, the cost to the customer was simply too high

6 speed. It's actually ex-Simon Rogers; it was in his R400 and used for sprints.

From what I've head the loss in the Elite is higher, it does not change as well and it's noisier than the Sadav. But at the time I bought it it seemed a good idea. I've had it for a few years.

I have driven a couple of Sadev cars and will do again next week in another 620 and I used the Elite IL 200 for a full 7 years of track and road work.

The Elite was probably a little quieter than the Sadev but difficult to measure and is also subjective and impaired by different engines.

The Elite change is so significantly lighter to change gear than the Sadev you almost think there is something wrong with it.

I had paddles with the Elite from day one but retained the stick as it was the first pneumatic paddle shift install ever with that box and car combination. You can change gear with a light pull with 2 fingers.

That's not to knock the Sadev. as its specs are much stronger than the Elite. The cost is double also.

I sell the Elite box and have a design for the gearbox mount that will link up with the existing Caterham mount.

The box is the same one in 5 speed format from the Duratec powered MX-5,  the sport models having a 6 speeder - which CC might look at...

CC simply change the bellhousing to allow for a vertical engine install as the MX-5 engine has a 10 degree cant.

Not sure what box is used on the back of the 1.5 engine in the latest modelthuogh it feels the same when I droven them.