Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Hood advice

pensioner

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here.

I have a 2003 Roadsport 1.8 K series.

I recently bought a new hood from Caterham that they were advertising on e bay, which I got for a very good price. Unfortunately, when fitted, there is a gap between the back of the side screen,

No matter how hard I pull, hair dryers,hot water bottle, pliers, I cant stretch the hood further forward so get a gap between the hood and the side screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thank you.

/sites/default/files/images/users/14491/caterham%20hood.jpg

I have been trying to post a photo with little success. I get a little box up that says paste using ctrl V but nothing happens

re the roll bar, the hood came with poppers fitted except the front one nearest the side screen. The stretch therefore must be between the front popper, and the one behind it.

The roll bar according to the build order is a series 5 de dion and the hood is a series 5

I had to fit a full roof to mine after I picked one up on EBay. Whilst I have never used it in anger I wanted imy 7 to be 'complete'. I've found the half hood to be ideal and having driven 2 hours in pouring rain in Belgium I didn't find any rain got into the 7, this may be due to my aerodynamics, I have a spare wheel on the back? 

To make my full hood fit I had to play about a lot with the rear most strut position, to the point I'm not sure whether it's needed in operation. 

After I put the pop studs in its a tight fit. Try to fit in the warm, the tip I've heard is to drape it over the bonnet for a bit. ( silly if it's raining....) If it looks like you may need the full hood up I'd put it down the passenger well to get warm if you can plan ahead.

If all else fails you can attach a velcro strip to make a nice seal. You need to use a strong glue to attach the velcro or else stitch it. It took me a while to get it right but my hood is pretty much airtight now.

Looks too small to me - perhaps this is why Caterham were selling them off cheap? They should take it back if it is not fit for purpose. Is it an S3 or SV? I have a spare hood floating around for an SV. I too have a half hood, but find I do still want the full hood on occasions! Garth

/sites/default/files/images/users/14491/2hoods.jpg

This is the old hood over the new hood at the sidescreen part. You can see the new hood with the white piping is smaller than the original hood so I think it need to go to caterham to see what they say.

I do have a half hood but I find the full hood usefull if leaving the car outside on some occasions. 

Thanks for everyones input. Its really nice to have such knowledgeable people to call on , It wont be the last time I expect.

I don't suppose that Caterham have sold you a hood for a pre 82 "short cockpit" car. My 81 car is a short cockpit type i.e. same as a Lotus 7 series 3. If your "modern" side screens fit in the vertical plane what i'm saying will not apply but if they appear to be too tall for the hood then you may have a short cockpit hood which i doubt. The short cockpit sidescreens were lower.....just low enough to disrupt most peoples vision when looking to the right, hence the Caterham design of what they used to call the high visibility side screen

Caterham sent it to me in its original packing which says its for a metric SV made by oxted and quotes their Purchase order. Caterham say that there is no difference between the metric and imperial hood.  

According to Oxted it was made in 2008 and they are unwilling to alter it, I would have paid.

I will talk to Caterham next week about a return.

the first thing I bought off the caterhamparts ebay account was a gauge which turned out to be cracked, not in transit - it looked like someone had overtightened it when fitting.

They refunded my money, but the impression I get is that they are just listing odd stuff they find lying around, and they might be lying around cause something was wrong with them when someone tried to fit them a few years ago!