Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500 to R888s - what's the difference?

thompster

Another tyre thread.  I've done a couple of trackdays on CR500s and found they slide very progressively and predictably and seem to be a very 'safe' track tyre.

I can't help thinking there must be more grip available though so fancy a set of 888s or maybe a048s next.  Anyone else switched from CR500s to one of those and been pleased/regretted it?  It's just track performance I'm interested in,

Thanks

Why not ZZS? Good question.

CR500 is replaced by ZZS and ZZR, with ZZS being more all rounder/ fast road (I think) and ZZR being track oriented?  If that's right then I don't think the ZZS would give me more track grip than the CR500s.  That could well be wrong though - I find the avon tyre range a bit confusing.

I really like the CR500s but get the feeling they slide a bit too early in order to give plenty of warning.  I'd like something that hangs on a bit longer, even at the expense of some of the progressiveness if that makes sense?  I've done some reading on here and opinion seemed to be yokos or 888s - maybe that's out of date though.

Do that have to be road-legal, James? If not, second-hand slicks at £10-£20 a corner make a whole lot of sense if, like me, you want rubber for pure track (ab)use. And if you are worried about transporting another set of wheels to a trackday without the use of a support vehicle or trailer, a chap turned up at Brands in a Caterham last week with a tyre rack perched on the roll bar. I didn't examine it closeup and it's not a new idea, but it is certainly practical.

CR500 has not been replaced.

ZZR/S range is a much heavier tyre designed to give Avon an offering in the much wider tintop trackday market. Tried them and went straight back to CR500. The ZZR/S loses so much of the7's chassis ride and steering delicacy they are just not worth it imo.

Hi mate,

Definatley after another set of treaded tyres although lifetime is less of a concern.  Bike days are pain in the backside what with all the gear you need to take so with the caterham I'm enjoying just driving to a track, pottering round and driving home again.

What CB says about the yokos sounds like what I'm after so maybe I'll go with those.

Ah yes, hope you had a good time on Monday at Bedford! Fancy another bash on Monday 6th July? Found a very good deal which I might take up if I sort my car in time. Drop me a line if you want some more details.

Similar to what Peter says about ZZR/S, I found the A048Rs to be much heavier in terms of weight than CR500s. So you do lose a bit of edge off the handling due to the extra rotating mass. However, they do grip very well.

Monday was good thanks, there was a couple of other caterhams including a very nice orange R400 - didn't find the owner though.  Not sure I'll get away with the 6th but let me know what it is if I might be tempted.. need to get some tyres first though..!

And on that subject why can't it be simple..  slightly slidey cr500s or more grip but loss of feel from heavy tyres.  Decisions decisions.

Agree with the CR500's being good but slidy. I think I'd have more confidence through the corners on a track with something more grippy. I'm deciding whether to swap from the CR500- limited by the 195/45/15 setup though.

Does Avon still make the ACB10?  That sounds like it would tick all the boxes for what you're after: increased grip, progressive, but still light weight (although it is bias ply construction, so would likely require a change to your set-up).

I swapped from CR500s to 888s about 2 years ago.  For me the 888s are definately a better/faster dry track tyre.  They are much stickier and gave me more confidence to push on.  I've also found them an "ok" tyre in the wet.  Not as good as CR500s in the wet but they are not as bad as you might think.

The 888s are heavier than CR500s so you may lose a little front end feel however this is not something that I have noticed.  Additionally I've also found 888s more compliant than CR500s on the road.  This is due to the larger sidewalls which are also quite soft on the 888s - I run 185/60/13s all round.

The issue with current CR500 tyres is that because (according to their tyre label at least) they have a Fuel Efficiency Class  of 'G' (i.e. a rolling resistance coefficent ≥ 12.1). Tyres with this RRC stopped being Type Approved in the EU in November 2014. The same will happen in November 2018 to tyres that have a RRC of 'F' (i.e. 10.6 ≤ RRC≤ 12.0) which includes the current  ZZS design (according to their tyre label).

There are similar regulations changes for Wet Grip, Rolling Resistance Noise and across the different tyre classes (i.e. passenger, goods vehicle etc. where the values for each level A-G are different.)

Interestingly, in getting the link for the CR500 tyre label I noticed that the text on the Avon website claims that CR500 tyres are 'F'.

Other examples:

Toyo T1R = F

Toyo R1R = F or G depending on the exact size.

Toyo 888 = F or G depending on the exact size.

Toyo 888R = F

A048 = G

Looking at the results from the Avon Championship it would seem the ZZS tyres are almost 1s quicker than the CR500s.

I think an R888 is more comparable to the ZZR tyre so should be a good bit stickier than CR500's

Thanks Ian - just replied to your message..

I think I will give some Toyos a go, just need to find the best place to buy from now.  My front CR500s will just about do another day and I've got a spare just-legal pair for the drive home then Toyos next..

This is an interesting thread for me, as I am just about to buy some stickier dry track day tyres. Since I have owned my car I have been on A021s and very happy with them. But I want to have a stickier option too. The two options I am thinking about are A048 and 888's. Can anyone advise which is better, lighter, stickier etc. please?

Thanks